or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Spread Collar + Four in Hand
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spread Collar + Four in Hand

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Four in Hand Knot.jpg 39k .jpg file

 

 

 

 

 

Hi all, I think this looks awesome. However it appears to be a spread collar with a Four in Hand knot, which I think some people frown upon.

 

Thoughts?

 

(Both are from the Hugo Boss Website)

 

 

 

Four in Hand Knot 2.jpg 52k .jpg file
post #2 of 19
They look fine but those seem to be relatively bulky ties making decently sized four-in-hand knots. I'd still go half-windsor with a spread collar with an ordinary tie.
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks, I am a die hard Four in Hand guy, its just what I have always used and like the slight face slimming effects. However I was unsure now that I am starting to experiment with wide spread collars. From what I have read the windsors and Pratt are the way to go with spread collars, all I wanted to know if it was OK to stick with the FIH. 

post #4 of 19

The greater the collar spread, the worse a FIH knot looks, IMO.  But this view runs contrary to the forum climate - just so ya know.

post #5 of 19
If the collar is so spread that you see the narrow part of the tie outside the knot, it is wrong.
post #6 of 19
Neither of the pictures seem egregious (but nor or those collars very spread.

A spread collar with a 4IH can be sprezz when done right. But the choice needs to be clearly intentional.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 

^^^ +1 fing02[1].gif

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsMeSF View Post

Thanks, I am a die hard Four in Hand guy, its just what I have always used and like the slight face slimming effects. However I was unsure now that I am starting to experiment with wide spread collars. From what I have read the windsors and Pratt are the way to go with spread collars, all I wanted to know if it was OK to stick with the FIH. 

 

If you like it, then it's ok. You're the one who has to wear it.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

If you like it, then it's ok. You're the one who has to wear it.

I've worn spread collars for at least 30 years .I always wear a four in hand knot.
Windsor knots remind me of the Nazi sympahtizer, the Duke of Windsor.
The trick is to wear a wider tie or a tie of thicker material, both of which will provide
the necessary knot for a spread collar. BTW, I think the first picture, which shows
a thin tie with a wide spread collar would really benefit from a wider tie.
post #10 of 19

Just to resurrect this thread, I've been told off for not tying a full windsor with a spread collar (like on the RLPL Keaton shirt, for example), but eh, if it's good enough for the stylist for the Purple Label shoot ...

post #11 of 19
There's plenty of precedent wearing a FIH with a spread. And anyone who gives you shit is fussing over all the wrong details.
post #12 of 19

There are more variables in the equation than just collar type and knot type.  As has already been indicated, tie weight and geometry are important.  More particularly, neck width and height, as well as collar height, all contribute to the overall effect too.

 

Judge the ensemble, not the parts individually.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #13 of 19

Can we all agree that a full windsor is a terrible idea regardless of how spread the collar is?

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

Can we all agree that a full windsor is a terrible idea regardless of how spread the collar is?

 

That’s a very interesting question.  I can’t imagine a context in which I’d wear one myself given my existing wardrobe (I use FIH 99% of the time, an occasional half Windsor or Pratt the remaining 1%, and I wear collars of all types), but I don’t want to rule out the possibility that someone else might be able to pull it off given the right mix of variables.  Such things can happen.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Can we all agree that a full windsor is a terrible idea regardless of how spread the collar is?

The FiH/Windsor polemics is to the StyleForum what the Big-Endian/Little-Endian controversy was to Lilliput.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Spread Collar + Four in Hand