Originally Posted by feedhungry
Have you considered Zara? Sometimes their suits are very nice.
Originally Posted by hohneokc
call some local menswear stores and see if they carry the brand
hohneokc you've obviously never been to Louisville...
OP, here is what you have locally:
1) Rodes - not in your price range. Cheapest they carry is HSM ($1k, or maybe a $850 Traveler model), then Samuelsohn, then Canali, Zegna, Isaia.
2) Fashion Post - the American brand version of Rodes. Smaller shop with brands like H. Freeman, Jack Victor, Southwick. More classic American than modern/trim. I haven't been in there in a while, but I'm not sure you'll dip below $500 for any suits. Maybe $600+. I've bought a jacket from them and I'm not a huge fan of how their tailors adjust the body.
3) Dept Stores - Dillards, Von Maur, Macy's. You'll find your price covered here, but I've never been impressed by what any of these stores stock locally. You may get lucky with a Boss or Abboud at either Dillards or Von Maur.
4) Brooks Brothers
5) Dept Stores, other states edition - you could drive to either Indy or Cincy for Saks and Nordstroms.
6) Banana Republic (carries 4-5 suits in store, better selection at the Summit location) or JCrew (can order something from the catalog and ship free).
7) Mens Wearhouse and Jos Banks
That leaves online - Suitsupply is a hot name at this price level. There is a massive thread on that brand. Benjamin suits from ehaberdasher have a good rep around SF, and some guy named Wizard of Ahs on ebay I've seen mentioned at this price range as well.
So, conclusion is that Louisville shopping kinda sux, unless you want to pay for Rodes, fit a sack suit, or don't mind the lower quality wares of the dept stores.
There are a shitload of threads on this topic with other ideas.