• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 2007 NBA Playoffs

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Alright, official thread for discussing the NBA Playoffs until someone's crowned. I'm going to predict right now that it *won't* be a Heat repeat, and I promise I thought that even before today's first-round loss to the Bulls.

Predictions? I think a lot of people are discounting the Suns, but honestly, I think they have a serious shot this year. Dallas has been incredible all season, but look what happened to the Pistons last year after a similar romp through the regular season (note: I know that the Mavs this year are a better team than the Pistons were last year, I'm just saying that regular season record shouldn't be everything).

T-Mac looked really good in the second half tonight against the Jazz. Good to see him get going after a bad first half--he was taking a beating from the announcers tonight for the first half or so.

Speaking of announcers, I'm debating muting the TV whenever Walton's announcing. There's only so much egregious hyperbole a man can take in an evening.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Alright, official thread for discussing the NBA Playoffs until someone's crowned. I'm going to predict right now that it *won't* be a Heat repeat, and I promise I thought that even before today's first-round loss to the Bulls.

Predictions? I think a lot of people are discounting the Suns, but honestly, I think they have a serious shot this year. Dallas has been incredible all season, but look what happened to the Pistons last year after a similar romp through the regular season (note: I know that the Mavs this year are a better team than the Pistons were last year, I'm just saying that regular season record shouldn't be everything).

T-Mac looked really good in the second half tonight against the Jazz. Good to see him get going after a bad first half--he was taking a beating from the announcers tonight for the first half or so.

Speaking of announcers, I'm debating muting the TV whenever Walton's announcing. There's only so much egregious hyperbole a man can take in an evening.

I still think the Heat have a chance, though it is increasingly unlikely. I can't bring myself to believe that the Mav or Suns have a chance, it would shake my belief that you need a dominant or really clutch playing to win a championship. I like the Spurs in the west followed by Houston simply because of the Ming - McGrady combo.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sauce: You and I agree on many things. I love the NBA. I think the Suns have an excellent chance. The Rockets are the dark horse. I just can't think of the Mavs that seriously.

Having said that, I gotta go with the Spurs. D really is the story in the POs, and they're the best. Plus they have more experience than the others. The Lakers will lose in 6, but wait till next year.
smile.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I think I'm just irrationally hoping that the Nuggets will off the Spurs. I know it won't happen, I'm not that crazy, but I really want to see AI do well. He deserves it. Plus, anything that hurts Billy King is fine by me.

Realistically, though, I agree, I like the Spurs out of the West.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out the Rockets/Jazz series, actually, even after the game tonight. They're such an asymmetrical matchup. Hell, even game one was strange and asymmetrical--the first half Utah was aggressive and smothering on defense, and absolutely killed the offensive glass, and Houston couldn't find a rhythm; then suddenly in the second half, Houston is rolling and Utah seems completely disjointed. I've watched an entire game between the two from start to finish, and I feel more confused now than before the series started.

Bach, you think the Lakers will push it to six? I'll be a Lakers fan 'til I die, but I just don't see them winning more than one.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I'll be a Lakers fan 'til I die, but I just don't see them winning more than one.

Rationality be damned, I'm pulling for the Lakers to win. It's nice to see some Lakers fans on this board, BTW.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Nets have a good chance of making it deep into the playoffs. The regular season means nothing with RJ being out for a good amount of the time and the team members feeling each other out. It seems like things have started to click lately (I think their record in their last 10 games is 8 and 2 or something like that). I expect to see them make it at least to the Eastern Conference finals, if not to the Championship.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago's my dark horse pick out East, although I agree that the Nets certainly can do some damage--it's too bad they don't have Kristic, though. Out west, my dark horse pick is Houston, but I'll be pulling for the Suns. The Spurs-Denver series should be very interesting to watch (as much an Iverson fan I am, my 6ers actually finished above .500 without him), and I do think the Warriors will give the Mavs some trouble--maybe even win a couple games in that series.

koji

76classic

Reaction score
Eastern Conference Finals- Pistons vs Cavaliers
Western Conference Finals-Mavs vs Spurs

Beyond that, I can't call it although I would like to see the Pistons take it all. They have too much of a tendency to slack off during games as evidenced last night. While being up 16 they, should have turned it up more and completely crushed the Magics confidence. They will still win, but there no way you should be in a dog fight with the Magic in the last 2 minutes on your own floor.

Watch out for Golden State. They are 6-1 vs the Mavs in the last 2 years, they might give them a scare. Certain teams just give other teams fits, just ask the Pistons when they play Utah.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
The Spurs-Denver series should be very interesting to watch (as much an Iverson fan I am, my 6ers actually finished above .500 without him)

Much as I hate not being able to watch Iverson play two or three nights a week, I think the trade was best for everyone. Iguodala got the room he always needed to come into his own, and Miller at point really helped Korver. For Denver's part, once they finally got everyone on the floor together and injury free for a few games, things really started clicking. I don't think this is their year, but next year they could be monstrous.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sauce wrote: Bach, you think the Lakers will push it to six?

Well, I am a Lakers fan. More important, the Suns D is not very good. I know the Lakers' D isn't but PJ seems to always find some way to make his teams competitive in the POs. And, the Lakers did do very well in the first half of the season; before they were decimated with injuries. Lamar was having his best season till he went down. Same with Luke. Before the season started many picked them for the lottery.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Sauce wrote: Bach, you think the Lakers will push it to six?

Well, I am a Lakers fan. More important, the Suns D is not very good. I know the Lakers' D isn't but PJ seems to always find some way to make his teams competitive in the POs. And, the Lakers did do very well in the first half of the season; before they were decimated with injuries. Lamar was having his best season till he went down. Same with Luke. Before the season started many picked them for the lottery.

I really believe the Lakers have a chance, I just don't take the Suns seriously. If Kobe comes out going for the juggler this will be a good series. If he attempts to be a team player they will lose.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jp: Kobe will do what PJ tells him to do. And, his lower scoring first half (along with his teammates finally making shots and passing and positioning) made for a better record.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I really believe the Lakers have a chance, I just don't take the Suns seriously. If Kobe comes out going for the juggler this will be a good series. If he attempts to be a team player they will lose.

That's the thing, though. For the last couple months, the only way the Lakers have been able to win a game is when Kobe goes absolutely nuts. But say Kobe lights up Phoenix for 50 points. All that does is turn the game into a shooting competition, and I don't think Kobe alone can outscore the Suns' offensive machine. Maybe if he gets a lot of help on defense, but I don't see that happening. Plus, every Kobe miss is another potential easy basket in transition for the Suns. I'd love to believe that the Lakers can stretch this series out, but they just aren't the same team right now that they were early in the season.

WSW

Reaction score
I agree that the Lakers won't be able to push it to six. The Suns are much better this year. Nash is playing at career highs, and they have Amare and Kurt Thomas back. I say Suns in 5.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I think the Nets have a good chance of making it deep into the playoffs. The regular season means nothing with RJ being out for a good amount of the time and the team members feeling each other out. It seems like things have started to click lately (I think their record in their last 10 games is 8 and 2 or something like that). I expect to see them make it at least to the Eastern Conference finals, if not to the Championship.

I don't like it, but I think you are right. The Raps are too young and inexperienced to handle them this year. I hope that in a year or two that may no longer be the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads