or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › $500 suits: Jos A Bank vs Mens Wearhouse vs Indochino
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$500 suits: Jos A Bank vs Mens Wearhouse vs Indochino

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

What are the main differences in fit and value between these three? My build is 5'9" 145lbs. Id like to add Brooks in there but they are a little over my budget.

 

Im looking for a timeless charcoal suit (for my build) that I can get for $500.

post #2 of 29

for $500 neither Men's Warehouse nor Jos A Bank are worth your time.  Suit supply is a good alternative to Indochino if you like.  You can also find good deals be on clearance, a nice find at an outlet, or in the B&S forum here or somewhere else.  At least SS and Indo are MTM, so there is some flexibility, and from what I hav heard (no first hand experience) the quality is good for the price.

post #3 of 29

+1 on suitsupply.

 

I don't know about Indochino, but jos and men's warehouse are not worth the money.

post #4 of 29

Also, re: Indochino, most suits there are pretty fashion forward (slim lapes, very slim fit, etc).  That's fine if that's what you're looking for, but not what I would call "timeless" as you say you want.

post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 

Yea I dont want an extremely slim fit, but I do want a moderately slim fit since that's what fits best on my build. Unfortunately, there isnt a Suit Supply in San Diego and people here have advised against buying suits online. What does MTM mean?

 

Im not sure what other places I can look at in my area. Do Brooks Brothers 1818 suits ever go on sale for $600?

post #6 of 29
Brooks Brothers goes on sale quite frequently on their own site and occasionally on sites like Gilt, MyHabit, and Rue La La.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

Yea I dont want an extremely slim fit, but I do want a moderately slim fit since that's what fits best on my build. Unfortunately, there isnt a Suit Supply in San Diego and people here have advised against buying suits online. What does MTM mean?

 

Im not sure what other places I can look at in my area. Do Brooks Brothers 1818 suits ever go on sale for $600?

MTM = Made to measure

 

5'9: 145 lbs you are going to be on the thin side for sure. Jos a Banks and Men's wearhouse is more of an American cut and will fit baggy

post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiasUSA View Post

MTM = Made to measure

 

5'9: 145 lbs you are going to be on the thin side for sure. Jos a Banks and Men's wearhouse is more of an American cut and will fit baggy

What retailers do you recommend?

post #9 of 29
Kent Wang has a charcoal suit for $750 that is very well-made and probably the best deal on the market.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

What are the main differences in fit and value between these three? My build is 5'9" 145lbs. Id like to add Brooks in there but they are a little over my budget.

 

Im looking for a timeless charcoal suit (for my build) that I can get for $500.

Indochino is a mtm company, so you can't compare it to JAB and TMW. You give them your measurements, and they'll make a suit based on them. It can be hit or miss; if you send the right measurements, then you could end up with a very nice suit. If you send bad measurements, you could end up with an unwearable suit.

 

I don't think that any of those companies are particularly high on quality. I wouldn't pay $500 for a suit from any of them, but I'd take Indochino from that group. If you add in Brook's Brothers at a DEEP discount, I'd consider that too. At the usual sale prices, I wouldn't pull the trigger.

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post

Kent Wang has a charcoal suit for $750 that is very well-made and probably the best deal on the market.

I don't know anything about Kent Wang, but $750 for a rtw doesn't seem like a "deal" by any stretch of the imagination. Is it mtm?

post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

I don't know anything about Kent Wang, but $750 for a rtw doesn't seem like a "deal" by any stretch of the imagination. Is it mtm?

 

 

You wouldn't snatch up a nice RLPL OTR for $750?  How about a Brioni or Kiton?


Edited by biged781 - 4/21/13 at 3:13pm
post #13 of 29
lurker[1].gif
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by biged781 View Post

 

You wouldn't snatch up a nice RLPL OTR for $750?  How about a Brioni or Kiton?

Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't think that OTR is worth it. For the same (or slightly more) money, I could get a much better suit. IMO, once the price gets past a certain point, it's got to be mtm or better.

 

...one man's opinion.

post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

I don't know anything about Kent Wang, but $750 for a rtw doesn't seem like a "deal" by any stretch of the imagination. Is it mtm?

You can do made-to-measure at Kent Wang for the same price. But given that the original poster asked about Jos. A Banks and Men's Wearhouse, I suspect that the prospect of made-to-measure might be a bit daunting at this point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › $500 suits: Jos A Bank vs Mens Wearhouse vs Indochino