Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread - Page 92

post #1366 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingBuckley View Post


As for quality, I am and will continue to be blown away by the fact that I can get J Fitz at full retail for less than a new pair of Allen Edmonds. That isn't mean to disrespect AE at all, but the beveled waist, sleek lasts, and the bolder design choices are why I keep coming back. I love G&G, but I can't always justify spending $1k+ on one pair, so I tend to buy J Fitz/Carmina and I'm a huge fan of both.

@foto010101, something else worth considering. At the price point, there are a lot of stylistic elements that other brands simply don't have, or aren't willing to explore. I find Justin's leather softer than my Carminas, but that's comparing crust and box calf. But they're no less durable. More comfortable out of the box with less break in time, that's for sure.

And MissingBuckley doesn't have to disrespect AE, but I will tongue.gif For the price, they're not even close. Not to mention Justin's QC is far better.
post #1367 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAluck5 View Post

If you don't mind, I wouldn't mind seeing that comparison.

I'll take pictures tonight.
post #1368 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawl Lapel View Post


@foto010101, something else worth considering. At the price point, there are a lot of stylistic elements that other brands simply don't have, or aren't willing to explore. I find Justin's leather softer than my Carminas, but that's comparing crust and box calf. But they're no less durable. More comfortable out of the box with less break in time, that's for sure.

And MissingBuckley doesn't have to disrespect AE, but I will tongue.gif For the price, they're not even close. Not to mention Justin's QC is far better.

Yea I don't think I will buy AE again.  

 

Really contemplating getting these two.  I don't have a single suede shoe in my arsenal.

 

 

post #1369 of 1415
Those suede chukkas look awesome!
post #1370 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAluck5 View Post
 

Yea I don't think I will buy AE again.  

 

Really contemplating getting these two.  I don't have a single suede shoe in my arsenal.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I don't think you'll be disappointed. My Medina in Bitter chocolate suede still look amazing one year in with regular wear, and those two are fantastic versatile choices.

post #1371 of 1415
Ok @LAluck5 and @laufer-

Here are some side by side pictures, and I'll also talk about the fit of each shoe on my right foot (wider of the two, D and a half width, borderline E). I'm a 9.5UK Rain and 9.5UK everything JFP, F width in GG.

Before my pictures and comments, I'll copy what Justin says about sizing on his website (http://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/pages/size-guide)
Quote:
J.FitzPatrick shoes have a very standard fit. Our sizes are based on the UK standard where ‘E’ is the “medium” width being equivalent to a US ‘D’ width. If you have always been size 10, then this is what you should expect to be in our footwear as well.

All five of our lasts were created on the same body, only changing the shape of the toe, thus ensuring a standard fit from heel to ball of foot, across all models. However, one must take into account that loafers will fit differently to oxfords and oxfords will fit differently to derbys, so while you may feel good in the fit of an oxford, the same size in a derby might feel loose due to the extra room in the instep created from the open lacing.This has nothing to do with size however, but more so the nature of the different models in footwear. Understanding this will help you choose your size more accurately.

The TMG last is the most classic fitting last fitting very standard. The LPB and MGF due to having to elongate the toe box to create them will be the most generous in the vamp/toe region. The JKF will be the tightest across the toe region. All shoes with 6 eyelets will be more generous in the instep. Any model in full suede will feel more generous to its leather counterpart. The boots have a forgiving instep in order for you to get into them easily. The monkstraps as a model and because they are usually one the LPB last will be the most generous fitting models.



For my part, left to right: Wedgwood (TMG), Carmina 922 (Rain), Wallingford (JKF), Rainier (LPB)


Toe shapes:






Between Carmina's Rain and Justin's last, the biggest difference to me is a higher instep and narrower heel.

Carmina 922 (Rain)
-Normal fit, widest part of foot (ball) is at widest part of shoe
-Heel wider than I'd like, had a lot of heel slip breaking the shoes in
-Laces don't close all the way due to my slightly higher than average instep.
-I have about 1/2inch from big toe to end of shoe and the taper of shoe where the bottom of the "U" shape of the wing is is where my second to last toe is

Wedgwood (TMG)
-Very close to Rain in terms of width across forefoot and overall length
-Slightly narrower through the arch/midfoot so the shoe hugs my foot better, since it's narrower from the midfoot back, is has a subsequently narrower heel than Rain

Rainier (LPB)
-Narrowest, most elongated JFP last IMO
-Fit is same as TMG except toe is narrower, if you need the full room of Rain I'd not go with LPB
-More length in the toe than TMG/Rain but with the taper starting earlier/being more extreme, you get less width across the toe box.
-Instep height is equal to TMG and Rain (laces have a gap of less than a centimeter at the top, but do not close all the way)


Wallingford (JKF)
-Symmetrical taper gives a hair more width in forefoot than LPB, but still more tapered than TMG
-Keeps width longer from the ball back to the heel than my other JFP shoes, not as snug under the arch. But this could be due to the suede in the shoe having more give than leather.
-Highest instep of my JFP shoes (agrees with Justin's description above - 6 eyelets), no lace gap at all. Any higher and I'd want an insole so they wouldn't be too loose.

Hope this is of use. If anything I said doesn't jibe with Justin's sizing info I'm sure he'll jump in to clarify.
Edited by Shawl Lapel - 3/21/17 at 4:07am
post #1372 of 1415
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawl Lapel View Post

Ok @LAluck5 and @laufer-

Here are some side by side pictures, and I'll also talk about the fit of each shoe on my right foot (wider of the two, D and a half width, borderline E). I'm a 9.5UK Rain and 9.5UK everything JFP, F width in GG.

Before my pictures and comments, I'll copy what Justin says about sizing on his website (http://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com/pages/size-guide)
For my part, left to right: Wedgwood (TMG), Carmina 922 (Rain), Wallingford (JKF), Rainier (LPB)


Toe shapes:






Between Carmina's Rain and Justin's last, the biggest difference to me is a higher instep and narrower heel.

Carmina 922 (Rain)
-Normal fit, widest part of foot (ball) is at widest part of shoe
-Heel wider than I'd like, had a lot of heel slip breaking the shoes in
-Laces don't close all the way due to my slightly higher than average instep.
-I have about 1/2inch from big toe to end of shoe and the taper of shoe where the bottom of the "U" shape of the wing is is where my second to last toe is

Wedgwood (TMG)
-Very close to Rain in terms of width across forefoot and overall length
-Slightly narrower through the arch/midfoot so the shoe hugs my foot better, since it's narrower from the midfoot back, is has a subsequently narrower heel than Rain

Rainier (LPB)
-Narrowest, most elongated JFP last IMO
F-fit is same as TMG except toe is narrower, if you need the full room of Rain I'd not go with LPB
-More length in the toe than TMG/Rain but with the taper starting earlier/being more extreme, you get less width across the toe box.
-Instep height is equal to TMG and Rain (laces have a gap of less than a centimeter at the top, but do not close all the way)


Wallingford (JKF)
-Symmetrical taper gives a hair more width in forefoot than LPB, but still more tapered than TMG
-Keeps width longer from the ball back to the heel than my other JFP shoes, not as snug under the arch. But this could be due to the suede in the shoe having more give than leather.
-Highest instep of my JFP shoes (agrees with Justin's description above - 6 eyelets), no lace gap at all. Any higher and I'd want an insole so they wouldn't be too loose.

Hope this is of use. If anything I said doesn't jibe with Justin's sizing info I'm sure he'll jump in to clarify.

Shawn, this all was incredibly helpful. Thank you so much, if you do not mind a follow up question. How is instep on TMG compared to Rain. The same or higher or lower? How do laces close?
post #1373 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

Shawn, this all was incredibly helpful. Thank you so much, if you do not mind a follow up question. How is instep on TMG compared to Rain. The same or higher or lower? How do laces close?

Sorry for the hasty cell phone picture:



The insteps look similar, but by feel TMG has more room. I could crank down on Rain's laces to close the gap more but then it would cut into the top of my foot. I could tighten Justin's boots more and have them be snug but not dig into my foot. The JFP boots also have a Dr Scholl's insole in them that I put in when I bought them to take up a little volume in the forefoot. It's a full length insole though, so if it was removed, I bet the laces would be pretty close to touching, if not touching. If Rain's instep works for you, Justin's will be just as comfortable, probably more so. If Rain's instep is too big, Justin's will be bigger.
post #1374 of 1415
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawl Lapel View Post

Sorry for the hasty cell phone picture:



The insteps look similar, but by feel TMG has more room. I could crank down on Rain's laces to close the gap more but then it would cut into the top of my foot. I could tighten Justin's boots more and have them be snug but not dig into my foot. The JFP boots also have a Dr Scholl's insole in them that I put in when I bought them to take up a little volume in the forefoot. It's a full length insole though, so if it was removed, I bet the laces would be pretty close to touching, if not touching. If Rain's instep works for you, Justin's will be just as comfortable, probably more so. If Rain's instep is too big, Justin's will be bigger.

Once again, thank you. I have my size now. The same size as Rain last.
post #1375 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Once again, thank you. I have my size now. The same size as Rain last.

That's what I would recommend thumbs-up.gif
post #1376 of 1415

***The Aurora comes with a button hook included in the price. Should you already have one and wish for something else, please indicate in the notes section of the order. Your choices are 2 wax/cream/mink oil products (indicate which and color) or one pair of socks (indicate size color) or one pair of travel shoe trees***

 

Hi Justin, can I choose instead:

 

1x Saphir Teinture Française Shoe Dye

 

or even 2 saphir shoe dye ?

 

Thanks !

post #1377 of 1415
Anybody know if this one is new? I haven't seen it before and now I'm kind of interested. Maybe I should just buy the suede Chukka, suede monk, and this and call it a day...

j-fitzpatrick-footwear-collection-16-march-2017-2072_grande.jpg?v=1489664600
post #1378 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelearner View Post

***The Aurora comes with a button hook included in the price. Should you already have one and wish for something else, please indicate in the notes section of the order. Your choices are 2 wax/cream/mink oil products (indicate which and color) or one pair of socks (indicate size color) or one pair of travel shoe trees***



Hi Justin, can I choose instead:

1x Saphir Teinture Française Shoe Dye

or even 2 saphir shoe dye ?

Thanks !

yes 2 saphir dye is just fine, just leave it in the notes which colors you want
post #1379 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawl Lapel View Post

Ok @LAluck5 and @laufer-


Carmina 922 (Rain)
-Normal fit, widest part of foot (ball) is at widest part of shoe
-Heel wider than I'd like, had a lot of heel slip breaking the shoes in
-Laces don't close all the way due to my slightly higher than average instep.
-I have about 1/2inch from big toe to end of shoe and the taper of shoe where the bottom of the "U" shape of the wing is is where my second to last toe is

Wedgwood (TMG)
-Very close to Rain in terms of width across forefoot and overall length
-Slightly narrower through the arch/midfoot so the shoe hugs my foot better, since it's narrower from the midfoot back, is has a subsequently narrower heel than Rain

Rainier (LPB)
-Narrowest, most elongated JFP last IMO
F-fit is same as TMG except toe is narrower, if you need the full room of Rain I'd not go with LPB
-More length in the toe than TMG/Rain but with the taper starting earlier/being more extreme, you get less width across the toe box.
-Instep height is equal to TMG and Rain (laces have a gap of less than a centimeter at the top, but do not close all the way)


Wallingford (JKF)
-Symmetrical taper gives a hair more width in forefoot than LPB, but still more tapered than TMG
-Keeps width longer from the ball back to the heel than my other JFP shoes, not as snug under the arch. But this could be due to the suede in the shoe having more give than leather.
-Highest instep of my JFP shoes (agrees with Justin's description above - 6 eyelets), no lace gap at all. Any higher and I'd want an insole so they wouldn't be too loose.

Hope this is of use. If anything I said doesn't jibe with Justin's sizing info I'm sure he'll jump in to clarify.

Hey AM, thank you for that. I will have to save this for future reference for others. Not only that, this reminded me that I need to expand on my size guide.

I did find it interesting however that you found the LPB last on the Rainier to be the most snug. I wonder if that is due to the lower vamp pattern as the LPB is generally the largest fitting last we have. I wonder how your boots fit in comparison to the Rainier? One thing some people forget is not only a last will make a difference but also a pattern i.e. wholecut vs full brogue will feel and fit completely different in the same last.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to write this and help others.

Thank you

Justin
post #1380 of 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shoe Snob View Post

Hey AM, thank you for that. I will have to save this for future reference for others. Not only that, this reminded me that I need to expand on my size guide.

I did find it interesting however that you found the LPB last on the Rainier to be the most snug. I wonder if that is due to the lower vamp pattern as the LPB is generally the largest fitting last we have. I wonder how your boots fit in comparison to the Rainier? One thing some people forget is not only a last will make a difference but also a pattern i.e. wholecut vs full brogue will feel and fit completely different in the same last.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to write this and help others.

Thank you

Justin

It could be the lower vamp. Because of the suede I don't find them to be too snug, just a close fitting shoe - in a good way. My boots do have a little more room over the instep and the laces close perfectly. I guess that goes back to more eyelets = more room. I would have thought TMG was the most friendly fitting last with its rounder toe, but I'm not the maker wink.gif

Glad to help cheers.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread