Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- EG / Band of Outsiders / Acne Last post on 3/16/11 at 1:03am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/27/16 at 6:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/26/15 at 4:08pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) Last post on 7/7/16 at 7:31am in Classic Menswear
In Passing: Chicago
Last edited: 2/11/16
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 7post #92 of 14294/12/13 at 9:00ampost #93 of 14294/12/13 at 9:16amQuote:
There's a huge range of hats that aren't Fedoras (and not a bit of disagreement over what exactly is, and is not, a Fedora).post #94 of 14294/12/13 at 9:23ampost #95 of 14294/12/13 at 9:24ampost #96 of 14294/12/13 at 9:25ampost #97 of 14294/12/13 at 9:38ampost #98 of 14294/12/13 at 9:40ampost #99 of 14294/12/13 at 10:01amThread Starterpost #100 of 14294/12/13 at 10:01am
he...really does. the crown is twice as high as it ought to be.
One of the U.S. hat companies sells 'authentic' replicas of the fedora Harrison Ford wears for the Indiana Jones movies; the problem with this is that apparently Ford has a pretty oddly shaped head, the upshot being he needs a fedora with a very high crown just to look 'normal'. If someone with a normal sized hat wears the IJ fedora, they don't look remotely like Harrison Ford does wearing it; if you want that look, you absolutely shouldn't buy the 'authentic' hat. That photo reminds me of a few I've seen of people wearing the 'authentic' one, it might even be one of those...post #101 of 14294/12/13 at 10:02amThread Starterpost #102 of 14294/12/13 at 10:02ampost #103 of 14294/12/13 at 10:04amThread Starterpost #104 of 14294/12/13 at 10:05ampost #105 of 14294/12/13 at 10:06amQuote:Originally Posted by upr_crust
I only recently noted the creation of this thread. I wear hats in winter with formal overcoats as a matter of course, out of necessity (I am bald, and New York winters are cold), and out of a sense of style (the look of a man wearing a suit, a proper overcoat, and a baseball cap is just stupid - and knit caps, as practical as they are, look horrible on me).
Is the look "retro" - yes, undoubtedly.
Do I care? Not very much
Do I look good? I believe that I do.
Is it "costume-y"? I own several fedoras, none of which, I believe, are so outside of the realm of current menswear to look "costume-y", IMHO. I do own a Homburg, which even on its best days (worn with a dark grey Chesterfield topcoat) is costume-y. I accept this, as I believe that, as out-of-touch with current menswear as it may be, I still like it.
Not everyone's face is suited to wear a fedora or other "proper" hat, nor does everyone's general mien work with the look, but for those of us who can wear a hat, there is no better frame for one's face, and it gives one an extra dose of "presence".
FYI - For those of you who are interested, women very much like seeing men in hats - I've been complimented by women on this fact many times.
Quoted in its entirety as I agree with everything in it. I wear hats to protect myself from the elements. I walk/use public transport to work (and I'm assuming Upr Crust does as well) and I need something to keep warm and dry. A stocking cap, to me, looks more ridiculous with a coat and tie than the most "costumey" of hats. Then again, I don't think a hat here is terribly rare, whether it's something traditional or a classic fedora.
Personally, a hat is about as necessary as a scarf or overcoat in terms of function. I am surprised that this thread lasted less than 24 hours before the debates started.
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 4 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › SHOE CLEARENCE - Edward Green Dover & Wells, Vass Old English,... 10 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding