Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- EG / Band of Outsiders / Acne Last post on 3/16/11 at 1:03am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/27/16 at 6:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/26/15 at 4:08pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) Last post on 12/3/16 at 11:52am in Classic Menswear
In Passing: Chicago
Last edited: 2/11/16
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 7post #92 of 14724/12/13 at 9:00ampost #93 of 14724/12/13 at 9:16amQuote:
There's a huge range of hats that aren't Fedoras (and not a bit of disagreement over what exactly is, and is not, a Fedora).post #94 of 14724/12/13 at 9:23ampost #95 of 14724/12/13 at 9:24ampost #96 of 14724/12/13 at 9:25ampost #97 of 14724/12/13 at 9:38ampost #98 of 14724/12/13 at 9:40ampost #99 of 14724/12/13 at 10:01amThread Starterpost #100 of 14724/12/13 at 10:01am
he...really does. the crown is twice as high as it ought to be.
One of the U.S. hat companies sells 'authentic' replicas of the fedora Harrison Ford wears for the Indiana Jones movies; the problem with this is that apparently Ford has a pretty oddly shaped head, the upshot being he needs a fedora with a very high crown just to look 'normal'. If someone with a normal sized hat wears the IJ fedora, they don't look remotely like Harrison Ford does wearing it; if you want that look, you absolutely shouldn't buy the 'authentic' hat. That photo reminds me of a few I've seen of people wearing the 'authentic' one, it might even be one of those...post #101 of 14724/12/13 at 10:02amThread Starterpost #102 of 14724/12/13 at 10:02ampost #103 of 14724/12/13 at 10:04amThread Starterpost #104 of 14724/12/13 at 10:05ampost #105 of 14724/12/13 at 10:06amQuote:Originally Posted by upr_crust
I only recently noted the creation of this thread. I wear hats in winter with formal overcoats as a matter of course, out of necessity (I am bald, and New York winters are cold), and out of a sense of style (the look of a man wearing a suit, a proper overcoat, and a baseball cap is just stupid - and knit caps, as practical as they are, look horrible on me).
Is the look "retro" - yes, undoubtedly.
Do I care? Not very much
Do I look good? I believe that I do.
Is it "costume-y"? I own several fedoras, none of which, I believe, are so outside of the realm of current menswear to look "costume-y", IMHO. I do own a Homburg, which even on its best days (worn with a dark grey Chesterfield topcoat) is costume-y. I accept this, as I believe that, as out-of-touch with current menswear as it may be, I still like it.
Not everyone's face is suited to wear a fedora or other "proper" hat, nor does everyone's general mien work with the look, but for those of us who can wear a hat, there is no better frame for one's face, and it gives one an extra dose of "presence".
FYI - For those of you who are interested, women very much like seeing men in hats - I've been complimented by women on this fact many times.
Quoted in its entirety as I agree with everything in it. I wear hats to protect myself from the elements. I walk/use public transport to work (and I'm assuming Upr Crust does as well) and I need something to keep warm and dry. A stocking cap, to me, looks more ridiculous with a coat and tie than the most "costumey" of hats. Then again, I don't think a hat here is terribly rare, whether it's something traditional or a classic fedora.
Personally, a hat is about as necessary as a scarf or overcoat in terms of function. I am surprised that this thread lasted less than 24 hours before the debates started.
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 23 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 48 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 minute ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 3 minutes ago
- › Help to find this Jacket! 3 minutes ago
- › Silk+linen versus cotton? 4 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 5 minutes ago
- › Newc's Bespoke Adventure. 7 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 8 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...