Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- EG / Band of Outsiders / Acne Last post on 3/16/11 at 1:03am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 6/28/15 at 4:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Sartorialist Looks Last post on 11/10/14 at 12:05am in Classic Menswear
- Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) Last post on Today at 10:31 am in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 7
Styleforum Top Picks
There's a huge range of hats that aren't Fedoras (and not a bit of disagreement over what exactly is, and is not, a Fedora).
he...really does. the crown is twice as high as it ought to be.
One of the U.S. hat companies sells 'authentic' replicas of the fedora Harrison Ford wears for the Indiana Jones movies; the problem with this is that apparently Ford has a pretty oddly shaped head, the upshot being he needs a fedora with a very high crown just to look 'normal'. If someone with a normal sized hat wears the IJ fedora, they don't look remotely like Harrison Ford does wearing it; if you want that look, you absolutely shouldn't buy the 'authentic' hat. That photo reminds me of a few I've seen of people wearing the 'authentic' one, it might even be one of those...
I only recently noted the creation of this thread. I wear hats in winter with formal overcoats as a matter of course, out of necessity (I am bald, and New York winters are cold), and out of a sense of style (the look of a man wearing a suit, a proper overcoat, and a baseball cap is just stupid - and knit caps, as practical as they are, look horrible on me).
Is the look "retro" - yes, undoubtedly.
Do I care? Not very much
Do I look good? I believe that I do.
Is it "costume-y"? I own several fedoras, none of which, I believe, are so outside of the realm of current menswear to look "costume-y", IMHO. I do own a Homburg, which even on its best days (worn with a dark grey Chesterfield topcoat) is costume-y. I accept this, as I believe that, as out-of-touch with current menswear as it may be, I still like it.
Not everyone's face is suited to wear a fedora or other "proper" hat, nor does everyone's general mien work with the look, but for those of us who can wear a hat, there is no better frame for one's face, and it gives one an extra dose of "presence".
FYI - For those of you who are interested, women very much like seeing men in hats - I've been complimented by women on this fact many times.
Quoted in its entirety as I agree with everything in it. I wear hats to protect myself from the elements. I walk/use public transport to work (and I'm assuming Upr Crust does as well) and I need something to keep warm and dry. A stocking cap, to me, looks more ridiculous with a coat and tie than the most "costumey" of hats. Then again, I don't think a hat here is terribly rare, whether it's something traditional or a classic fedora.
Personally, a hat is about as necessary as a scarf or overcoat in terms of function. I am surprised that this thread lasted less than 24 hours before the debates started.
- Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Rishi Kakar 6 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 1 minute ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Rishi Kakar 5 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Oliver Peoples Connolly Sunglasses [Unused] 11 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 13 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 15 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 16 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...