or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 36

post #526 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

I would email Panama Bob (Panama Hats of Montecristi) and tell him what you want. His quality is excellent and his prices are reasonable.
But his service can be really bad, particularly if you order a high end hat.
post #527 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post


But his service can be really bad, particularly if you order a high end hat.

 

Well, as I will be ordering a cheap hat, lucky me? lol

post #528 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post
 

I'm going to a wedding in St. Lucia in December. I'm looking for recommendations on straw panama hats- or other styles you might think superior.  I'd like something budget friendly, as the trip is breaking the bank a little bit.  Under $100, ideally.  If it oly lasts a couple of years, so be it.

 

I have a cheap panama from Panama Bob's ebay site, and I quite like it. I don't wear it enough to justify a more expensive one, and I've heard that the cheaper ones are more breathable anyways.

post #529 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post
 

 

Yes, I have two more fashiony trilbies from Goorin Bros, and I agree their quality is good.  That link isn't working, but there are several good options on Goorin Bros' site, for less than I'd have expected.  One that looks about right for $65.  Thanks for the lead!

Here is the URL - http://www.goorin.com/hat-styles/panama-hats/god-father-straw-fedora-hat

post #530 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post

I have a cheap panama from Panama Bob's ebay site, and I quite like it. I don't wear it enough to justify a more expensive one, and I've heard that the cheaper ones are more breathable anyways.

I suppose there is don't logic to that, as they would try to stretch less straw once more head?
post #531 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post

I suppose there is don't logic to that, as they would try to stretch less straw once more head?


The weaving is not at fine or as tight so more air can get through. There are more gaps.
post #532 of 533
Funnily enough my observation (over 30 years wearing straws) is that the cheaper Panamas (like 350 WPSI ones you get in HNL) take the wear and tear better.

They don't get floppy like the top grade Panamas do with the slightest shower.

They also have more glue in them and withstand wetting and losing their shape and rebound instead of having to be professionally reflanged like Montecristis.

If I had a Monte again I would be sure to have it hardened up to preserve the shape.

Hence I prefer Milans - especially high quality vintage ones.
post #533 of 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

Funnily enough my observation (over 30 years wearing straws) is that the cheaper Panamas (like 350 WPSI ones you get in HNL) take the wear and tear better.

They don't get floppy like the top grade Panamas do with the slightest shower.

They also have more glue in them and withstand wetting and losing their shape and rebound instead of having to be professionally reflanged like Montecristis.

If I had a Monte again I would be sure to have it hardened up to preserve the shape.

Hence I prefer Milans - especially high quality vintage ones.
I agree with every point you make. I would also add that Optimo in Chicago offer an exceptional Milan for those who wish to avoid the unpredictable nature of the vintage market.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...