Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- EG / Band of Outsiders / Acne Last post on 3/16/11 at 1:03am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 5/6/15 at 9:46am in Classic Menswear
- Recent Sartorialist Looks Last post on 11/10/14 at 12:05am in Classic Menswear
- Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) Last post on 5/7/15 at 1:03pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 12
Styleforum Top Picks
How to Care For Your Hat
I visited San Francisco’s oldest haberdashery, Cable Car Clothiers, to meet with the proprietor, Jonathan Levin and to get some tips on men’s hats and hat care. He shared the following based upon the stores 74 years of history in hats and menswear.
- When putting on a hat or adjusting it, handle it by the front and back brim, never by the crown.
- Do not pick up a hat/fedora by the pinch; it will misshape it over time. A straw fedora will crack and a felt hat may split the seam.
- Touch your hat with clean hands; oils from your hands may stain a light hat
- Always hang a hat. If no hook is available store it by inverting it and placing it on its crown. Placing a hat on its brim may flatten or cause a hat to loose its curve, especially if wet.
- Do not leave a hat in a car or in the sun as humidity may cause any hat material to lose shape, shrink or distort.
- Hats of any material may be sensitive to prolonged exposure to direct sunlight causing colors to fade.
- Brush your hat periodically with a soft brush.
When Purchasing A Hat
- Seek out a quality hat store where someone with experience can guide you through the options that most compliment your complexion, shape of your face and needs.
- Look for hats that have a specific size and avoid S, M, L, XL for the best fit and comfort.
- Sizing will vary by manufacturer and even among the same hats. So, don’t rely upon the tag size. Only trying on the hat will assure you of the best possible fit.
By The Way…
Panama hats aren’t made in Panama. When the Panama Canal was being built, this was the most popular style of hat on the project. The name “Panama” thus became forever linked to these hand woven straw hats from Ecuador.
Cable Car Clothiersis located at 110 Sutter Street, Suite 108, San Francisco, CA 94104. Phone 415 397-4740 or you can see a sampling of their hats at www.cablecarclothiers.com
+1 remind the hat check folks how to handle your hat and watch where they place your hat.
oh hey, hat brush tip - it's very hard to buy a hat brush these days, and when you can they tend to be ridiculously overpriced. All you really need is a brush with the softest bristles you can manage. I use a fine 'Kiwi' brand horsehair shoe brush, bought off the shelf at the grocery store for about three bucks :)
For some context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cavanagh_(hatter)
"Al Webb (b. February 15, 1920), who joined the company after the Second World War, was by 1961 Vice President of Sales for the Hat Corporation of America. Like J. Garvan Cavanagh, he was a close personal friend of John F. Kennedy, whose dislike of wearing hats had led to a downfall in hat sales. At a 1961 PT reunion in Washington, DC, Webb accused his friend of having ruined the American hat industry, and in response, Kennedy began carrying a hat around with him with the Cavanagh Hats label clearly visible. The first incidence of this was when Kennedy met with Dwight D. Eisenhower on April 22, 1961, at Camp David."
I need to find a place near Baltimore, Md. that sells nice Panama or Fedora hats etc. I found a few hats at local Macy's but they looked like the hats Frank Sinatra used to wear. Those would not be my style.
I can understand why the guy (earlier in the thread) wanted to be convinced to start wearing hats. Not many young people wear many hats besides the ubiquitous baseball cap in all it's configurations. His peers would probably look at him funny but I think he would still look great.
fillw: A bit of Googling throws up:
I have absolutely no experience with 'em, but they hit several of the good points for hat shopping - they've been around forever, and they manufacture hats themselves. Probably worth a shot. They seem to have a decent range of panamas, fedoras, homburgs and derbies.
- Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 36 seconds ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 2 minutes ago
- › Beachwear with long sleeves - tips? 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 2 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 2 minutes ago
- › watch avengers age of ultron online free 3 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan