Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 103

post #1531 of 1559

Here in the UK, spring is around the corner and it is time to consider how to store 'winter' fedoras. How do people do this?  I have limited space and although a number of hats already have the packing boxes that they were shipped in, some don't.  They were purchased 'off the shelf'. Is it OK to store two or three hats, in a single box, crown down? Any suggestions would be welcome. Yours, Munky. 

post #1532 of 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

Here in the UK, spring is around the corner and it is time to consider how to store 'winter' fedoras. How do people do this?  I have limited space and although a number of hats already have the packing boxes that they were shipped in, some don't.  They were purchased 'off the shelf'. Is it OK to store two or three hats, in a single box, crown down? Any suggestions would be welcome. Yours, Munky. 

I store my hats each one in his own box, it's safer and keep them in good shape. For each hat I bought without a box, I got one generic box later.

post #1533 of 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

Here in the UK, spring is around the corner and it is time to consider how to store 'winter' fedoras. How do people do this?  I have limited space and although a number of hats already have the packing boxes that they were shipped in, some don't.  They were purchased 'off the shelf'. Is it OK to store two or three hats, in a single box, crown down? Any suggestions would be welcome. Yours, Munky. 

mothproof??
post #1534 of 1559

Thank you for your thoughts, gentlemen. I certainly keep most of my hats in their original boxes and will look into buying a few more boxes for the others. My problem is space!  Hats in their boxes take up a lot of it!

 

As to moths, I don't know. I have never had problems with wool items, hanging in the cupboard. 

 

Thanks, again. Munky. 

post #1535 of 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

 

As to moths, I don't know. I have never had problems with wool items, hanging in the cupboard. 

 

Famous. Last. Words.

 

The chap you see flying about appears only after the larval stage where he's eaten all your cashmere.  Pack 'em up with repellent/moth balls.  When you remove from storage a day or so will air them out.

post #1536 of 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactire View Post
 

 

Famous. Last. Words.

 

The chap you see flying about appears only after the larval stage where he's eaten all your cashmere.  Pack 'em up with repellent/moth balls.  When you remove from storage a day or so will air them out.

 

Is it OK to store hats, for a few months, in sealed plastic boxes? The ones that give a satisfying 'click' when pressing them shut.   Oddly, here in the UK, they are easier to source than plain brown boxes. I have overwintered clothes in these, before and wonder if hats would survive this treatment.  Regards, Munky.

post #1537 of 1559
Borsalino Alessandria in silverbelly...

post #1538 of 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

Is it OK to store hats, for a few months, in sealed plastic boxes? The ones that give a satisfying 'click' when pressing them shut.   Oddly, here in the UK, they are easier to source than plain brown boxes. I have overwintered clothes in these, before and wonder if hats would survive this treatment.  Regards, Munky.

If they're airtight they should be ok. Another option is the bags for vacuum packing clothing.
post #1539 of 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactire View Post


If they're airtight they should be ok. Another option is the bags for vacuum packing clothing.

 

Thank you for this. The airtight ones are the ones I had in mind. They are stackable, too. Thanks again, best wishes, Munky

post #1540 of 1559

Yesterday attending a cocktail in dinner suit with my vintage Ramenzoni homburg

post #1541 of 1559
I assume that you took it off and gave it to the cloak room attendant for safe keeping upon arrival and did not drink so much that you forgot to recover it upon departure!
post #1542 of 1559

Bowler day! Vintage Lincoln Bennett

post #1543 of 1559

Boater day! Vintage Brunetto

post #1544 of 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

I assume that you took it off and gave it to the cloak room attendant for safe keeping upon arrival and did not drink so much that you forgot to recover it upon departure!

The event did not have a cloak room attendant, it's quite rare around here. It was a semi outdoor event and I kept the hat on or held in hand most of the time, taking off to the dinner, of course.

post #1545 of 1559

More pictures of the Brides Premiere last march 5
Ramenzoni homburg

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...