I've never heard that 'rule' before, can't think of a good logical reason for it, and I'm sure I've seen shorter guys wear hats very nicely before. Where'd you hear that?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- EG / Band of Outsiders / Acne Last post on 3/16/11 at 1:03am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/27/15 at 2:20pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/26/15 at 4:08pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) Last post on 7/27/15 at 1:03pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 9
Styleforum Top Picks
Hats and caps have seen a huge increase in popularity since Boardwalk Empire came on the heals of the Americana workwear movement. There has been a steady stream of quality visuals showing men the various styles and looks. It encourages them to try a hat and gives them the added confidence to pull it off. It isn't just 'old guys" wearing them. And soon we will have the new Great Gatsby movie. Many scenes just wouldn't look right without a hat. And, they look pretty good.
And why does that man have his hat on indoors? Because he is a gangster/gambler. Doesn't that say something?
Here are some of mine. Clockwise from top left:
- Grey 1960s Dobbs Golden Coach trilby, 7 1/4. The felt's really thick and luxurious, and holds whatever shape you put it in with no arguments. This one's got a wind string/trolley cord.
- Black 1960s Kevin McAndrew lord's hat, 7 1/8. Beaver felt. The ribbon was the same size as the Golden Coach felt, but I felt that it wasn't conductive to the shape of the hat so I folded it over halfway and redid the bow by hand. Got a nice frayed edge to the bow.
- Old trapper's hat, unknown vintage. No tags, no information whatsoever, but it's made of wool and a soft brown fur. Five panel construction. There aren't any cords to tie the two flaps together.
- Modern green corduroy cotton sporting cap. It has a snap front.
- Blue 1930s "Beaumont Hats by Tower Hat Corp." reverse taper fedora. Self-banded, easily the best hat I've ever seen. The blue rabbit felt has some white hairs thrown in for variety's sake.
- 1950s "shower-proof" bangora straw hat, 7 1/4. Had to replace the sweatband and steam it from inside to get some dents out. Ventilation holes on both sides.
Edited by deadAngle - 4/13/13 at 12:38am
There aren't that many hats in Mad Men. Draper's pinched fedora trilby hybrid looks all wrong on him, and since we are led to believe that hats went out of style with JFK I was surprised to see him still wearing one in the new series which is up to about 1969 now I think.
Back in the day, MAD Magazine referred to this type of hat as a "Madison Avenue crash helmet," if I remember rightly. And yeah, they were pretty scarce by 1969. But then, MADison Ave, the industry if not the street, was a stand-in for "the man." And "the man" wore a hat, if he felt like it. Still does.
If you google that term (with quotes) you find that modern sources are using it with reference to a narrow brim hat with a centre crease around 1963, but the publications of the time (mostly google scanned newspapers, featuring what looks like a PR release in news form from October 17th 1958) are using it for a smart Derby hat.
The Derby would make more sense in in terms of the "crash helmet", when you consider what the original Derby hats were designed for.
- Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Australian Members 2 minutes ago
- › BNWOT sandro Western Red Selvedge Shirt XS 17 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 18 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 19 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 23 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 31 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 33 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 37 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 39 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 43 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...