I've never heard that 'rule' before, can't think of a good logical reason for it, and I'm sure I've seen shorter guys wear hats very nicely before. Where'd you hear that?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- EG / Band of Outsiders / Acne Last post on 3/16/11 at 1:03am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 3/1/16 at 10:14am in Classic Menswear
- Recent Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/26/15 at 4:08pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) Last post on Today at 1:33 pm in Classic Menswear
In Passing: Chicago
Last edited: 2/11/16
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 9post #122 of 14134/12/13 at 6:31pmpost #123 of 14134/12/13 at 8:02pmpost #124 of 14134/12/13 at 8:07pmThread Starterpost #125 of 14134/12/13 at 8:56pmpost #126 of 14134/12/13 at 8:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Hats and caps have seen a huge increase in popularity since Boardwalk Empire came on the heals of the Americana workwear movement. There has been a steady stream of quality visuals showing men the various styles and looks. It encourages them to try a hat and gives them the added confidence to pull it off. It isn't just 'old guys" wearing them. And soon we will have the new Great Gatsby movie. Many scenes just wouldn't look right without a hat. And, they look pretty good.
And why does that man have his hat on indoors? Because he is a gangster/gambler. Doesn't that say something?post #127 of 14134/12/13 at 9:22pm
Here are some of mine. Clockwise from top left:
- Grey 1960s Dobbs Golden Coach trilby, 7 1/4. The felt's really thick and luxurious, and holds whatever shape you put it in with no arguments. This one's got a wind string/trolley cord.
- Black 1960s Kevin McAndrew lord's hat, 7 1/8. Beaver felt. The ribbon was the same size as the Golden Coach felt, but I felt that it wasn't conductive to the shape of the hat so I folded it over halfway and redid the bow by hand. Got a nice frayed edge to the bow.
- Old trapper's hat, unknown vintage. No tags, no information whatsoever, but it's made of wool and a soft brown fur. Five panel construction. There aren't any cords to tie the two flaps together.
- Modern green corduroy cotton sporting cap. It has a snap front.
- Blue 1930s "Beaumont Hats by Tower Hat Corp." reverse taper fedora. Self-banded, easily the best hat I've ever seen. The blue rabbit felt has some white hairs thrown in for variety's sake.
- 1950s "shower-proof" bangora straw hat, 7 1/4. Had to replace the sweatband and steam it from inside to get some dents out. Ventilation holes on both sides.
Edited by deadAngle - 4/13/13 at 12:38ampost #128 of 14134/12/13 at 10:47pmpost #129 of 14134/13/13 at 8:57amThread Starterpost #130 of 14134/13/13 at 9:38amQuote:Back in the day, MAD Magazine referred to this type of hat as a "Madison Avenue crash helmet," if I remember rightly. And yeah, they were pretty scarce by 1969. But then, MADison Ave, the industry if not the street, was a stand-in for "the man." And "the man" wore a hat, if he felt like it. Still does.Originally Posted by Ianiceman
There aren't that many hats in Mad Men. Draper's pinched fedora trilby hybrid looks all wrong on him, and since we are led to believe that hats went out of style with JFK I was surprised to see him still wearing one in the new series which is up to about 1969 now I think.post #131 of 14134/13/13 at 2:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Spats
Back in the day, MAD Magazine referred to this type of hat as a "Madison Avenue crash helmet," if I remember rightly. And yeah, they were pretty scarce by 1969. But then, MADison Ave, the industry if not the street, was a stand-in for "the man." And "the man" wore a hat, if he felt like it. Still does.
If you google that term (with quotes) you find that modern sources are using it with reference to a narrow brim hat with a centre crease around 1963, but the publications of the time (mostly google scanned newspapers, featuring what looks like a PR release in news form from October 17th 1958) are using it for a smart Derby hat.
The Derby would make more sense in in terms of the "crash helmet", when you consider what the original Derby hats were designed for.post #132 of 14134/13/13 at 4:41pmpost #133 of 14134/13/13 at 6:17pmpost #134 of 14134/13/13 at 6:54pmpost #135 of 14134/13/13 at 11:14pm
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Brexit 5 minutes ago
- › How to wash fine linen pants 6 minutes ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 29 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 32 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 35 minutes ago
- › A.P.C. Moto jacket. Size M, brand new. 37 minutes ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 47 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding