I've never heard that 'rule' before, can't think of a good logical reason for it, and I'm sure I've seen shorter guys wear hats very nicely before. Where'd you hear that?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Girls in Guys Garb Last post on 1/20/15 at 9:14am in Classic Menswear
- EG / Band of Outsiders / Acne Last post on 3/16/11 at 1:03am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 11/29/15 at 2:54pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Sartorialist Looks Last post on 7/26/15 at 4:08pm in Classic Menswear
- Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) Last post on 1/31/16 at 3:02am in Classic Menswear
Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
Last edited: 10/14/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions... - Page 9
Styleforum Top Pickspost #122 of 13504/12/13 at 6:31pmpost #123 of 13504/12/13 at 8:02pmpost #124 of 13504/12/13 at 8:07pmThread Starterpost #125 of 13504/12/13 at 8:56pmpost #126 of 13504/12/13 at 8:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Hats and caps have seen a huge increase in popularity since Boardwalk Empire came on the heals of the Americana workwear movement. There has been a steady stream of quality visuals showing men the various styles and looks. It encourages them to try a hat and gives them the added confidence to pull it off. It isn't just 'old guys" wearing them. And soon we will have the new Great Gatsby movie. Many scenes just wouldn't look right without a hat. And, they look pretty good.
And why does that man have his hat on indoors? Because he is a gangster/gambler. Doesn't that say something?post #127 of 13504/12/13 at 9:22pm
Here are some of mine. Clockwise from top left:
- Grey 1960s Dobbs Golden Coach trilby, 7 1/4. The felt's really thick and luxurious, and holds whatever shape you put it in with no arguments. This one's got a wind string/trolley cord.
- Black 1960s Kevin McAndrew lord's hat, 7 1/8. Beaver felt. The ribbon was the same size as the Golden Coach felt, but I felt that it wasn't conductive to the shape of the hat so I folded it over halfway and redid the bow by hand. Got a nice frayed edge to the bow.
- Old trapper's hat, unknown vintage. No tags, no information whatsoever, but it's made of wool and a soft brown fur. Five panel construction. There aren't any cords to tie the two flaps together.
- Modern green corduroy cotton sporting cap. It has a snap front.
- Blue 1930s "Beaumont Hats by Tower Hat Corp." reverse taper fedora. Self-banded, easily the best hat I've ever seen. The blue rabbit felt has some white hairs thrown in for variety's sake.
- 1950s "shower-proof" bangora straw hat, 7 1/4. Had to replace the sweatband and steam it from inside to get some dents out. Ventilation holes on both sides.
Edited by deadAngle - 4/13/13 at 12:38ampost #128 of 13504/12/13 at 10:47pmpost #129 of 13504/13/13 at 8:57amThread Starterpost #130 of 13504/13/13 at 9:38amQuote:Back in the day, MAD Magazine referred to this type of hat as a "Madison Avenue crash helmet," if I remember rightly. And yeah, they were pretty scarce by 1969. But then, MADison Ave, the industry if not the street, was a stand-in for "the man." And "the man" wore a hat, if he felt like it. Still does.Originally Posted by Ianiceman
There aren't that many hats in Mad Men. Draper's pinched fedora trilby hybrid looks all wrong on him, and since we are led to believe that hats went out of style with JFK I was surprised to see him still wearing one in the new series which is up to about 1969 now I think.post #131 of 13504/13/13 at 2:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Spats
Back in the day, MAD Magazine referred to this type of hat as a "Madison Avenue crash helmet," if I remember rightly. And yeah, they were pretty scarce by 1969. But then, MADison Ave, the industry if not the street, was a stand-in for "the man." And "the man" wore a hat, if he felt like it. Still does.
If you google that term (with quotes) you find that modern sources are using it with reference to a narrow brim hat with a centre crease around 1963, but the publications of the time (mostly google scanned newspapers, featuring what looks like a PR release in news form from October 17th 1958) are using it for a smart Derby hat.
The Derby would make more sense in in terms of the "crash helmet", when you consider what the original Derby hats were designed for.post #132 of 13504/13/13 at 4:41pmpost #133 of 13504/13/13 at 6:17pmpost #134 of 13504/13/13 at 6:54pmpost #135 of 13504/13/13 at 11:14pm
- Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › NIGEL CABOURN Everest Parka survival yellow anarctic arctic Ventile 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 12 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 13 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 15 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 16 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 17 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 20 minutes ago
- › Can't mirror shine after using saphir renomat 23 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?