Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › John Elliott - official affiliate thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

John Elliott - official affiliate thread - Page 1427

post #21391 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsubrmnn View Post

I think the buttons are an issue because they have used better buttons in the past, look at the 2 layer military shirts.

 

I own SLP flannels from last season and along with the Hawaiian shirt.  They all cost the same but I'm sure the Hawaiian shirt has more expensive buttons as they have a pearl like coating.  That doesn't mean normal looking buttons are cheap.  The JE flannel uses matte normal looking buttons but they are not zara cheap that just crumble.  

post #21392 of 32707
A shirt has to be pretty interesting for me to go beyond Uniqlo, W+H, RRL or various forum affiliates - all of which are less than JE. For me that pretty much means Geller, Dries, Visvim, Schneider, and some SLP/MMM.
post #21393 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer93 View Post

Despite uniqueness, etc. $248 is not really all that much for a flannel. There are many other similar brands that have similarly basic pieces that are charging far more. Elder statesman has most of their flannels at $375 - $500. Are they unique? Innovative? Many SLP items are unique or just done much better than other brands, but you're then looking at $750 - $1000+. I think for the brand, quality, and stylistic appea, JE is still on the very affordable, attainable end. But, I do realize that a large number of people on this thread are making the jump from crap like Zara, topman, etc which would probably instill a little price shock.
Haha don't make the assumption a large number of us "are making the jump from crap like Zara, topman, etc"' many of us regulars have been rocking JE far before you. Quality has definitely changed in certain pieces and nothing wrong with voicing it
post #21394 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbidwal View Post

I'm not saying like the shirt or be happy with the price.  Just saying for what the shirt is, the buttons are fine.  For normal sewn on buttons, they are on par with other high end brands.  they are not cheap zara buttons that will crumble. 

I was the first one to say its generic.  I'm ok with a normal cut, etc but I do like different fabrics, texture, etc.  As for the riri snaps, on one of my shirts that had them, it actually got loose and the snap wouldn't hold as well as it should have.  There is really no way to fix that. 
In my first post on this I actually made no mention of either the buttons or the price of the shirt. The only thing I said was I wish it was more like the 41 OS, which I thought it would be. I do find it funny and response worthy however when someone posts garbage like we should love everything about the piece bc it's a third of the cost of an SLP flannel, and makes note that many of us with qualms are cheap Zara crossovers and are shocked at the price. It is funny. I've been buying boatloads of JE for years now as well as higher priced designers. I respect anyone elses opinion and input on certain design features and realize we all have our preferences and financial situations.
post #21395 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by leFLOPjames View Post


In my first post on this I actually made no mention of either the buttons or the price of the shirt. The only thing I said was I wish it was more like the 41 OS, which I thought it would be. I do find it funny and response worthy however when someone posts garbage like we should love everything about the piece bc it's a third of the cost of an SLP flannel, and makes note that many of us with qualms are cheap Zara crossovers and are shocked at the price. It is funny. I've been buying boatloads of JE for years now as well as higher priced designers. I respect anyone elses opinion and input on certain design features and realize we all have our preferences and financial situations.

 

 

I wasn't calling you out or anyone else either. The price and quality are not my points.  I don't know how JE prices things.  My point really is that for what the shirt is, the quality of the buttons is fine.  Not liking the type of button used vs saying its cheap quality are 2 different things.  To me a cheap button is one that breaks in half easily or crumbles when you wash it.  The actual plastic used isn't any worse than plastic used on some of my SLP shirts. 

post #21396 of 32707

Anyone order from the Concepts sale, get a shipping notification, and nothing after? Want to see if I should follow up w/ them.

post #21397 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by niyengar View Post
 

Anyone order from the Concepts sale, get a shipping notification, and nothing after? Want to see if I should follow up w/ them.

Took forever for my shipping to say anything but, 'tracking label has been made' or whatever, but it updated and is now set for delivery tomorrow. I'd give it one or two more days before calling.

post #21398 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackp12 View Post

Haha don't make the assumption a large number of us "are making the jump from crap like Zara, topman, etc"' many of us regulars have been rocking JE far before you. Quality has definitely changed in certain pieces and nothing wrong with voicing it

I'm curious on what items the quality has drastically changed? I'm not sure I'd equate a strip of suede and some snap closures to quality in the case of the flannel. My main point was more so around pricing. Even if we equate those things to quality, the price of the new iterations of flannels were much less. It's not like they are cutting quality and jacking up the price across the board. And if I recall, there were a ton of people complaining when the 41 overshirt was released that it was way too expensive. But now in hindsight people are chalking it up as quality versus the new items.
post #21399 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbidwal View Post


I wasn't calling you out or anyone else either. The price and quality are not my points.  I don't know how JE prices things.  My point really is that for what the shirt is, the quality of the buttons is fine.  Not liking the type of button used vs saying its cheap quality are 2 different things.  To me a cheap button is one that breaks in half easily or crumbles when you wash it.  The actual plastic used isn't any worse than plastic used on some of my SLP shirts. 
Yea sry I meant to quote Bimmer93
post #21400 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer93 View Post

I'm curious on what items the quality has drastically changed? I'm not sure I'd equate a strip of suede and some snap closures to quality in the case of the flannel. My main point was more so around pricing. Even if we equate those things to quality, the price of the new iterations of flannels were much less. It's not like they are cutting quality and jacking up the price across the board. And if I recall, there were a ton of people complaining when the 41 overshirt was released that it was way too expensive. But now in hindsight people are chalking it up as quality versus the new items.

post #21401 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsubrmnn View Post

Touché. But I'll have to wait and see how the item holds up more so than where it was sewn. I've seen some great items from China and some not so great ones from the US.
post #21402 of 32707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsubrmnn View Post

Yep, thanks. This has also happened with a couple of my shirts. Look like the same ones on the flannels
post #21403 of 32707

Can anyone advise on which model of tee to get? 

 

Mercers don't work for me, the Small isn't broad enough in the shoulders (and does a weird hourglass figure thing), and although the medium just about fits, it's way too long.

 

With or without a slutty neck is fine, though I never a wear a tee that has one just on it's own, only use for layering. Trying on is a bit of a pain in the UK, went into HN today and they literally had just two Mercers, in two sizes. 

post #21404 of 32707
market has spoken as the flannels are selling out at this price point so im sure JE can give zero f's what we think lol
post #21405 of 32707


I agree with you just because it was MIC doesn't mean it's a terrible product. But I think a lot of us that have been buying from the brand for some time expect that the products are made in usa (MIA); that they are made in the workshop/factory that JE is always "sleeping" in. If you look at the first post in the thread, all mike/JE is talking about is their construction and they materials that are used (see below). (Now it only seems that mainline stuff is made in that factory in LA)

It would be nice to see a return of that. the descriptions should state things like where they sourced the materials from, I am sure people would really appreciate that. Case in point with yesterdays drop, i'm sure people would like to know more about thermolite, which type they used, maybe even why they chose it vs primaloft or some other synthetic down. I feel like a lot of us, myself included, had no idea it was even used until JE rung in. Maybe the email should have more details and come out before the drop? when we all read about why JE made the skittles on IG, i think we all thought it was cool and it would be great if more of that was incorporated into the emails, website, etc.

 

I think a lot of us are still under the impression that JE=MIA, i know that he has made the denim in MIJ and the shoes are MII, and he gives great reasoning behind why he does. You go to where they are going to make the best quality products. The MIC stuff on the other hand we get no justification for, and the site doesn't even list where the products are made. I am not saying that they are some how inferior because they were made in china, but we have seen instances where they have been. And maybe they saw all the post on SF about the construction and now use a different factory (hopefully)

 

which gets to my next point. This is Styleforum, not size forum. People have complained time and time again how annoying this thread gets. So when someone gives their honest opinion about a particular item (likes/dislikes, quality, etc.) i think we should applaud them, rather than berate them. I'm a JE fan, have been for years, but i'm not going to like every piece they produce, and i don't think we should (unless you're a stan jk). If something doesn't flow or seems off then we should state it. That's the only way "small" companies like JE evolve. We all know JE/mike/whoever from JE reads this thread. And if you have been following the brand you know that a lot of their mainline stuff has changed over the years (sizing of Mercers, U necks, escobars). I'm not saying that they made the escobars slimmer just because of things said here, but maybe they did take that into consideration. and with "button-gate", JE might look at this and be like, "I paid a Sh-t ton for those buttons and they didn't appreciate, guess who isn't getting buttons next year We'll change them up next year!" 

 

TL;DR:

1. JE should give us more info on the product before they drop, i think people would appreciate that and not complain as much if they knew what was involved in making a particular product. maybe include where it was made on the site 

2. we should critique (good and bad) the products released because this can be helpful to other members as well as JE. may even lead to changes in products in the future, or releasing more of the products we like.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › John Elliott - official affiliate thread