or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which Sammy model should I purchase?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Sammy model should I purchase?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if you know of any models/cuts that are similar to the Fitz. I fit my Fitz very well after bringing in the waist 1.5-2"(A more recent model I tried on at the store fit better OTR than my current one OTR - must be newer than mine). I'm looking for a model that will fit me well, at 6'1" and 185lbs(used to have athletic build, now just have broad shoulders and chest). I do like a wider lapel though, say 3.25-3.5". I'm very partial towards roping in the shoulders. You can say I'm after a fitted, conservative cut(butt-covering jacket, a bit of waist suppression, moderately high armholes) and do not like anything even near the TaT look(dreadful). Sleeve diameter is a non-issue for me, as long as it does not tighten to the point of accentuating my upper arms when raising or folding my arms. This is the silhouette I'm going after:

 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t7TUDUXmnP0/TdSIAQ4q7II/AAAAAAAAApc/LGMejqtugAI/s1600/CharBlue%2BSuit.png      (disregard lack of shirt cuff and whether it's a 2B or 3B)

 

or

 

this rubinacci: http://www.marianorubinacci.net/club/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_7635.jpg

 

Let me know if you have know of a model that would suit my style. For additional reference, the RLBL Anthony fit me darn well everywhere, but even that needed to be brought in an inch or so.

 


Edited by forbritisheyes - 4/10/13 at 9:29am
post #2 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if you know of any models/cuts that are similar to the Fitz. I fit my Fitz very well after bringing in the waist 1.5-2"(A more recent model I tried on at the store fit better OTR than my current one OTR - must be newer than mine). I'm looking for a model that will fit me well, at 6'1" and 185lbs(used to have athletic build, now just have broad shoulders and chest). I do like a wider lapel though, say 3.5-4". I'm very partial towards roping in the shoulders. You can say I'm after a fitted, conservative cut(butt-covering jacket, a bit of waist suppression, moderately high armholes) and do not like anything even near the TaT look(dreadful). Sleeve diameter is a non-issue for me, as long as it does not tighten to the point of accentuating my upper arms when raising or folding my arms. This is the silhouette I'm going after:

 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t7TUDUXmnP0/TdSIAQ4q7II/AAAAAAAAApc/LGMejqtugAI/s1600/CharBlue%2BSuit.png      (disregard lack of shirt cuff and whether it's a 2B or 3B)

 

or

 

this rubinacci: http://www.marianorubinacci.net/club/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_7635.jpg

 

Let me know if you have know of a model that would suit my style. For additional reference, the RLBL Anthony fit me darn well everywhere, but even that needed to be brought in an inch or so.

 

 

The Samuelsohn Gable is very similar to the BB Fitz model in fit.  It, however, is very similar in appearance as well with a natural shoulder and slimmer lapels.  I'm not aware of the names of Samuelsohn models with roped shoulders, but I'm sure someone else can help on this point.

post #3 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

The Samuelsohn Gable is very similar to the BB Fitz model in fit.  It, however, is very similar in appearance as well with a natural shoulder and slimmer lapels.  I'm not aware of the names of Samuelsohn models with roped shoulders, but I'm sure someone else can help on this point.


Ah yes, I have heard of that one. I read that the jacket is cut short as well. Is this true?

 

Does anyone know how the Todd, Greenwich, Gable/Geo, globe, Alton, Albert, and talbot models fit?


Edited by forbritisheyes - 4/10/13 at 11:03am
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post


Ah yes, I have heard of that one. I read that the jacket is cut short as well. Is this true?

 

Does anyone know how the Todd, Greenwich, Gable/Geo, globe, Alton, Albert, and talbot models fit?

 

My Gable and my Fitz are roughly the exact same length.

post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

My Gable and my Fitz are roughly the exact same length.


Thanks for the input, NewShoes. Would you mind posting a picture of your Gable? You don't have to wear it, I'm just curious about how it looks. Did it have a lot of suppression when you first acquired it(OTR or MTM?)?

 

I welcome anyone else that can share any knowledge pertaining to the Sammy suits. It's been hard to find comprehensive data. There was a post on AAAC that had several suits and their qualities, but many of them did not have descriptions and a few of the models that did have descriptions have since been discontinued.

post #6 of 39

"Sammy?"

post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post


Thanks for the input, NewShoes. Would you mind posting a picture of your Gable? You don't have to wear it, I'm just curious about how it looks. Did it have a lot of suppression when you first acquired it(OTR or MTM?)?

 

I welcome anyone else that can share any knowledge pertaining to the Sammy suits. It's been hard to find comprehensive data. There was a post on AAAC that had several suits and their qualities, but many of them did not have descriptions and a few of the models that did have descriptions have since been discontinued.

 

How a jacket fits me is not going to do anything for you determining how it fits you.  The only way for you to figure out what works for you is to go to some stores and try on a bunch of different jackets.  You may have an idea in your head of what you want, but when you actually try the jackets on, you'll probably realize something different works much better.

 

I used to think my Fitz was a great fit until I tried some different makes and models, which now leave my Fitz as my worst fitting jacket.

post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

How a jacket fits me is not going to do anything for you determining how it fits you.  The only way for you to figure out what works for you is to go to some stores and try on a bunch of different jackets.  You may have an idea in your head of what you want, but when you actually try the jackets on, you'll probably realize something different works much better.

 

I used to think my Fitz was a great fit until I tried some different makes and models, which now leave my Fitz as my worst fitting jacket.


Out of curiosity(So I can later find them) what did you try on that worked better?

post #9 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

"Sammy?"


Ah, gotcha. Samuelsohn suits.

post #10 of 39
Any thoughts on the Samuelsohn 1923 Black Label?
post #11 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

Any thoughts on the Samuelsohn 1923 Black Label?

Yes, this is new to me. It's difficult to get info because it seems a very small minority of people wear Samuelsohn.

 

Still hoping someone can shed light on the Todd, Greenwich, Globe, Alton, Albert, and Talbot models fit(for general knowledge).

post #12 of 39
Here's a pic of an Alton SC I'm selling in one of my threads; you'll see it has a slightly roped sleeve head.

post #13 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

Here's a pic of an Alton SC I'm selling in one of my threads; you'll see it has a slightly roped sleeve head.

 
WOW, that looks nice. I like the lapels a lot. Too bad it's not a suit. Is that a herringbone? How did it fit in the waist when you bought it? I guess a lot of that depends on your build.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

The Samuelsohn Gable is very similar to the BB Fitz model in fit.  It, however, is very similar in appearance as well with a natural shoulder and slimmer lapels.  I'm not aware of the names of Samuelsohn models with roped shoulders, but I'm sure someone else can help on this point.

Roped Shoulders and Natural shoulders usually do not go together.
In fact this combination could itself be a contradiction.

For natural shoulders from Samuelsohn the Greenwich comes to mind.
Another model with very natural shoulders is the Talbot. I believe it has been
discontinued but may be available MTM.
post #15 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post


Roped Shoulders and Natural shoulders usually do not go together.
In fact this combination could itself be a contradiction.

For natural shoulders from Samuelsohn the Greenwich comes to mind.
Another model with very natural shoulders is the Talbot. I believe it has been
discontinued but may be available MTM.

I recall reading a post in which Chris or Jeffrey said that they can be mutually exclusive( http://www.styleforum.net/t/265443/rope-shoulder-construction ). Regardless, I actually don't mind a little padding. I really enjoy roping in shoulders and padding just makes it look more structured. I should have specified this in the OP. Thanks for the input, comrade.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which Sammy model should I purchase?