or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › [Beachwear] Acceptable slides instead of flip-flops?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Beachwear] Acceptable slides instead of flip-flops?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Sorry, flip-flops are just a bad idea, health wise: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flops#Health_and_medical_implications

 

Even though this article have to say:

 

As for sandals, I asked Gil (who lives in Tahiti) which brand works best. The verdict: “Reef leather sandals.”

 

 

leather tongs

 

I have a similar (in synthetics) and it's really nice. But truly not comfortable.

 

Slides are the way to go. Also have a Birkenstock Arizona, very comfortable at home but it's not for mingling with people in it.

 

 

845.jpg

 

Maybe there is a slide similar in style to the Reef flip-flops? I haven't found it on the Reef home page.

post #2 of 15
If they're purely for the beach, looks hardly matter. Slides shouldn't be worn for anything 'classier' than that, whereupon espadrilles are a better choice.
post #3 of 15
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks. The Rivieras really look nice.

 

But I really needed some open slides which can interfere with water. Like a one-step-solution for being stylish at home but it should also stand being in contact with water like on the beach or under the shower (for example on travels to some more interesting locations, which have community shower - so weight might be also a criteria). Any idea for open slides?

post #5 of 15
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
 

http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Top-Sider-Mens-Santa-Slide/dp/B004LY50TM

 

Bought 3 pairs of these, so good.

 

Yes. Something along these lines. Keep 'em coming! ;)

post #7 of 15

 

Just wear fucking flip flops.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
 

http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Top-Sider-Mens-Santa-Slide/dp/B004LY50TM

 

Bought 3 pairs of these, so good.

 

Please explain to me how these will have more "health benefits" than thong style flip flops...

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
 

 

Please explain to me how these will have more "health benefits" than thong style flip flops...

 

1. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flops#Health_and_medical_implications

 

2.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/10/flip-flops-can-damage-your-foot-structure.aspx

 

3.

My guess is that the rate of flip-flops is much higher in 1st world fashionistas on holiday than amongst 3rd world people living day to day in hot climates in open footwear.

 

4.

I already wore them for extended time. (Reef Brazil, which is not the worst brand, by the way.) I can attest: they are really not comfortable or feel healthy for the feet to the least.

 

Did I say I really like the Birkenstock Arizona (it is quite a classic in it's own terms), though I would not mingle with people in it and I only do it at home? I would also look for a sleeker/lighter design - along these lines.

 

Photo of the Birkenstock Arizona disappeared from the 1st post which I can't edit anymore - here is another one for visuals:

 

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by name View Post
 

 

1. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flops#Health_and_medical_implications

 

2.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/10/flip-flops-can-damage-your-foot-structure.aspx

 

3.

My guess is that the rate of flip-flops is much higher in 1st world fashionistas on holiday than amongst 3rd world people living day to day in hot climates in open footwear.

 

4.

I already wore them for extended time. (Reef Brazil, which is not the worst brand, by the way.) I can attest: they are really not comfortable or feel healthy for the feet to the least.

 

Did I say I really like the Birkenstock Arizona (it is quite a classic in it's own terms), though I would not mingle with people in it and I only do it at home? I would also look for a sleeker/lighter design - along these lines.

 

Photo of the Birkenstock Arizona disappeared from the 1st post which I can't edit anymore - here is another one for visuals:

 

 

Mercola is a hack who's always trying to peddle some homeopathic nonsense. Don't use him as a source unless you're going to actively practice barefoot walking to center your qi like he recommends.

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviantfish View Post
 

 

Mercola is a hack who's always trying to peddle some homeopathic nonsense. Don't use him as a source unless you're going to actively practice barefoot walking to center your qi like he recommends.

 

My main sources were

 
- the articles quoted under the Wiki entry
- experience: flip flops don't feel as comfy as Birkenstocks, to state the obvious ;)
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

Got the solution for myself. Something like this: http://www.ancient-greek-sandals.com/

 

Though quite expensive.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
 

 

Please explain to me how these will have more "health benefits" than thong style flip flops...

 

No idea really, I just like wearing them. My toe gap doesn't rub in these, but the upper part of the foot does. Depends what floats your boat I guess

post #14 of 15

I swear by Reefs as far as flip flops go. They have some great new models out now that are even more ergonomic, with leather toe posts... Reef was always great because they had fabric or leather toe posts, not plastic ones. It makes all the difference in the world.

post #15 of 15

Scott. They have a warranty for the life of the sole, and since the strap always goes first, you basically have a lifetime supply of flipflops.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › [Beachwear] Acceptable slides instead of flip-flops?