or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Mexican / central american honeymoon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mexican / central american honeymoon? - Page 2

post #16 of 30

My host died a few years later. No idea what happened to the animal. The funny thing was that no one batted an eye as we walked down the street.

 

You can eat as a local anywhere in the world. I remember gorging myself on tacos at a local stand run by a mother and her two daughters in Holbox only to have some yanks drive by in a golf cart (there was one resort at the time and this is how they got around) and comment "I can't believe he's eating there."  

 

Here's a shitty shot of a local place I ate at in Antigua.

 

 

As I remember it you can spend a lot or a little in Tulum. 

 

lefty

post #17 of 30
mexico city is a lot safer than it used to be, and has great food.

honestly, though, for a honeymoon you have to go to Cartegena, and stay in the old city. pretty good food, good music, very very very romantic, I mean it makes every other romantic place in the western hemisphere look like a VD clinic, that is how romantic it is. and not too expensive.

enjoy
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglbc View Post

can i get contact for protection tiger?

Lots of amazing info here.

For anyone whos been to tulum, is it expensive? can you eat like a local? What are your honest opinons of it?

Tulum is not expensive at all. Unless you want to eat at all the "foreigner" restaurants that are springing up - Italian food, Argentinian food, Japanese food, etc.. Then, comparatively speaking, its expensive. But even then its still fairly cheap. And the actual Mexican food there is cheap as shit.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Rambo is spot on about visiting Mexico City though. Phenomenal place.

nod%5B1%5D.gif I don't remember how many museums the city have... but we are the city with the most museum in all the world. Check this link out, if you decide to come to Mexico City, this is a top 15 of the best museums to visit http://www.excelsior.com.mx/2012/07/19/comunidad/848680


Just consider that some of them are in what is know as "El Centro" or "El Zócalo" so don't dress luxurious to go there, something casual, and you are going to have fun. And also ask in your hotel for "Taxis de sitio", don't take a taxi in the street not because it's dangerous, but if they see that you don't speak spanish or something like that, they might overcharge you, meanwhile the "Taxis de sitio" they have established tarifs and it's safer.

I've been to most of those smile.gif If you're going to be in El Centro then you have to include Plaza Garibaldi into your plans. That's one of my favorite spots in the city.

Are you saying that taxi kidnappings aren't a real danger, or are you saying that they're less common than they used to be? Because that's what I was always warned about regarding street taxis. Still, the only time I've felt genuinely at risk in the DF was my own damn fault. I knew better than to go to that club in the Zona Rosa.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

I've been to most of those smile.gif If you're going to be in El Centro then you have to include Plaza Garibaldi into your plans. That's one of my favorite spots in the city.

Are you saying that taxi kidnappings aren't a real danger, or are you saying that they're less common than they used to be? Because that's what I was always warned about regarding street taxis. Still, the only time I've felt genuinely at risk in the DF was my own damn fault. I knew better than to go to that club in the Zona Rosa.

Well I didn't want to scare him, but that's part of my point, don't ask for a taxi at the street, if you are in a hotel, tell them to call you a Taxi from the "Sitio" and those are safer. Then you can tell the driver if he can pick you up and sometimes if they don't have to wait a lot they wait and take you back. If not, ask for the number of the "Sitio" and tell them you want them to send a Taxi. About the taxi kidnapping's those are less common today.

Of course there are some spots that are dangerous, like the Zona Rosa, haha what were you doing there, mate? Haha
post #21 of 30
Thread Starter 
How is it driving around the yucutan? safe at night, easy to navigate?

This cartegena, would we be talking spain or colombia?

Im on fence with the weather in yucutan around may, it seems to veer towards hot and cloudy/rainy season.

So ive looked into mallorca and croatia, but fucking croatia is 24hrs of travel. Would be worth it i know, but holy shit thats 2 vaca days down cramped in a plane.

Mexico city looks like an amazing stop for food and culture, we place a big emphasis on foods, so this is interesting. Wish i had a tiger connect though.
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglbc View Post

How is it driving around the yucutan? safe at night, easy to navigate?

This cartegena, would we be talking spain or colombia?

Im on fence with the weather in yucutan around may, it seems to veer towards hot and cloudy/rainy season.

So ive looked into mallorca and croatia, but fucking croatia is 24hrs of travel. Would be worth it i know, but holy shit thats 2 vaca days down cramped in a plane.

Mexico city looks like an amazing stop for food and culture, we place a big emphasis on foods, so this is interesting. Wish i had a tiger connect though.

Driving's like driving in any big city. There's a huge highway running from Cancun down through Chetumal. Pretty straight shot all the way down. But you honestly don't need a car. Everything is accessible by ADO bus or taxi pretty fucking easily. Seriously. And its cheap too.

Columbia. Globe has a hard on for the place.

Its rainy. And hot. VERY HOT. I got stuck in Tulum for around a week when it was just raining every fucking day, non-stop. This was at the end of april, beginning of may. Then, as soon as I left, the weather was clear as day for weeks. Fuckers.

Ugh, for a honeymoon that sounds horrid. You want to be fucking, not stuck in a plane.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we all wish we had a tiger connect...
post #23 of 30
Colombia.
post #24 of 30
The major highways are fine, but secondary roads in Mexico can be a bitch to navigate at night - they're poorly marked, there are few street lights, when you go through a town you have to navigate carefully to stay on your route. It's tough to get too lost, though, as there just aren't that many roads.
post #25 of 30
I took the bus with some friends back in 98 to the Yucatan and had a great time. I thought Merida was lovely but in fact Veracruz was much better. Tulum was not a tourist destination at that point just some backpackers and cheap hotels with no airconditioning and palapas on the beach. Super fun. Coba was awesome, much like Chitzen Itza but with no one there. We also went to a tiny town called Punta Allen which was lovely and far far away from everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

The major highways are fine, but secondary roads in Mexico can be a bitch to navigate at night - they're poorly marked, there are few street lights, when you go through a town you have to navigate carefully to stay on your route. It's tough to get too lost, though, as there just aren't that many roads.

As a general rule don't drive at night in Mexico. You'll be cruzing on the highway and there will be a cow in the middle of it or a pot hole that's 2 feet deep. Take the bus, you can take the first class bus and it's very nice.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

As a general rule don't drive at night in Mexico. You'll be cruzing on the highway and there will be a cow in the middle of it or a pot hole that's 2 feet deep. Take the bus, you can take the first class bus and it's very nice.

 

Not sure about the cow haha, but the pot hole, definitely. And someone said it before, the signals (or directions) are not very clear, you can get lost easily in Mexico City. 

post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Not sure about the cow haha, but the pot hole, definitely. And someone said it before, the signals (or directions) are not very clear, you can get lost easily in Mexico City. 

I was more talking about the highways between cities. And yes, growing up my family drove extensively through Northern Mexico and I've seen every type of livestock on the roads.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post


I was more talking about the highways between cities. And yes, growing up my family drove extensively through Northern Mexico and I've seen every type of livestock on the roads.

 

Oh, got it. In the north I think would be more familiar to see cows or something like that, but not sure if in a tropical weather would be familiar. Maybe iguanas. biggrin.gif

post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/travel/25hours.html?_r=0



NYT had a nice write up on cartegna a while back. sounds magical and highly romantic. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

globetrotter, have you been there in may?Seems like late april-nov is is the rainy season according to travel sites, though october is the rainiest month, so seems like it couldnt be too bad.

Weather avgs
Edited by eglbc - 4/10/13 at 6:06pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglbc View Post

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/travel/25hours.html?_r=0



NYT had a nice write up on cartegna a while back. sounds magical and highly romantic. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

globetrotter, have you been there in may?Seems like late april-nov is is the rainy season according to travel sites, though october is the rainiest month, so seems like it couldnt be too bad.

Weather avgs

not may, that I remember, but I've been there a half dozen times, it gets hot but not horrible. I was there in October last year and it wasn't that bad.

it is a spectacular city for something like a honeymoon. what you don't want to do, though, is go into one of the newer hotels, they have built a new neighborhood that I don't think is very well located. stick with the Hilton or the old city - the Hilton isn't in the old city, but its a nice place with a great view.

if you end up going let me know i';ll give you some solid recommendations .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Mexican / central american honeymoon?