or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Grey glen plaid suit combination for a wedding in LA this summer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grey glen plaid suit combination for a wedding in LA this summer

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, longtime lurker looking for some advice on my suit combo. I've read around a bit on glen plaid, but with so many of the old threads' photos deleted it was hard to tell. 

So, my question is: how does this combo work? Should I go for a solid white shirt? Blue pocket square to match blue on tie? And what about the shoes? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 16
Go with a light blue shirt, dark brown tie and dark brown shoes. The shirt and tie you have look bland with that suit. The shoes are too casual for the suit. Get some dark brown dress shoes with leather soles.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rence View Post

Go with a light blue shirt, dark brown tie and dark brown shoes. The shirt and tie you have look bland with that suit. The shoes are too casual for the suit. Get some dark brown dress shoes with leather soles.

Hey rence,

 

Thanks for the reply. Would something like this be better? It's the only other brown dress shoe I have. And what type of brown tie would you recommend? I'm not sure I could imagine brown working with this, but I'm very curious as to what you're thinking.

 

 

 

 

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick45123 View Post

Hey rence,

Thanks for the reply. Would something like this be better? It's the only other brown dress shoe I have. And what type of brown tie would you recommend? I'm not sure I could imagine brown working with this, but I'm very curious as to what you're thinking.





MUCH BETTER! I love that shoe.
Where did you get it?
post #5 of 16
LA in the Summer.I hope that it is not outdoors.
Your suit looks warm. July 2011 I attended a wedding at a beautiful
Country Club in the Malibu Hills. I wore a fairly lightweight
tropiclal ( Belvest). I roasted. when the sun (finally) went down
it was very comfortable.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post


MUCH BETTER! I love that shoe.
Where did you get it?

 

I actually got it from Kenneth Cole. It's from their "Made in Italy" line. Here it is: http://www.kennethcole.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3091631

It's a great shoe for the price, although the construction still isn't remarkable. 

 

As for the temperature, it's a 95% wool/5% cashmere blend yet very lightweight. I've only had the suit for a few months and haven't had the opportunity to wear it in warmer weather. LA can be hot but with no humidity I'm hoping it'll be alright. 

post #7 of 16
I like the combination. Definitely get a more contrasting tie (purple is ideal) from the suit. A white shirt would make it an A+ fit, especially with a purple tie.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post

I like the combination. Definitely get a more contrasting tie (purple is ideal) from the suit. A white shirt would make it an A+ fit, especially with a purple tie.

Thanks landshark. I really like the idea of purple on white. What pattern/fabric would you suggest? 

 

Would any of these work? #1, #2, #3, or #4?

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post

I like the combination. Definitely get a more contrasting tie (purple is ideal) from the suit. A white shirt would make it an A+ fit, especially with a purple tie.

Thanks landshark. I really like the idea of purple on white. What pattern/fabric would you suggest?

 

Would any of these work? #1, #2, #3, or #4

post #10 of 16
#2 is the only one I would recommend or wear personally.
post #11 of 16
...
post #12 of 16
#4 also would be fine. Don't wear any of those with a loud pocket square. White square likely would be best. A burnt orange tie probably would look better than a purple tie, assuming brown hair. Actually, purple tie would be iffy if the hair isn't brown or big and blonde.

Also, frankly the suit pants fit too much like jeans and ought to be less tapered.
Edited by mensimageconsultant - 4/11/13 at 1:11pm
post #13 of 16
I emphatically disagree. Purple, a grey houndstooth or glen plaid are traditional wedding ties. Orange ties should be avoided in most cases (except UT football games)
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post

MUCH BETTER! I love that shoe.
Where did you get it?

lol
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

#4 also would be fine. Don't wear any of those with a loud pocket square. White square likely would be best. A burnt orange tie probably would look better than a purple tie, assuming brown hair. Actually, purple tie would be iffy if the hair isn't brown or big and blonde.

Also, frankly the suit pants fit too much like jeans and ought to be less tapered.

 

Thanks man. I've got brown hair. I ended up bringing the suit jacket into a store the other day and went with a solid purple tie (slightly darker than the ones I linked earlier). I also chose a different pocket square and will be wearing a solid white shirt. I think it works quite well. I'm not really a fan of orange. 

Regarding the pants, I see what you're saying. They are definitely on the slim side. I got them fitted with the other shoes and think they sit much better on those. I prefer my pants pretty tapered. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post


lol

??

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Grey glen plaid suit combination for a wedding in LA this summer