or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread - Page 241

post #3601 of 4063
Would insoles for flat feet completely negate the inside creases on dress shoes? Or just minimize the creasing? Just realized the salesman was asking me about my flat feet when I didn't know the term yet and I have now noticed the inside creasing.
post #3602 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMarch View Post

Very unlikely. 
Changing the insole would require a full re-crafting, which would require the original last that was used for the shoe, and also the gemming and welting to be completely re-done.

Thank for the clarification. I was at the rifare.jp page (http://www.rifare.jp/repair.html) and there seemed to be an additional charge for re-welting, so was wondering if they'll be able to change the insoles as well without the original last. Guess the only place which is able to "recondition" the insoles would be B.Nelson in NY?
post #3603 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsi View Post

Thank for the clarification. I was at the rifare.jp page (http://www.rifare.jp/repair.html) and there seemed to be an additional charge for re-welting, so was wondering if they'll be able to change the insoles as well without the original last. Guess the only place which is able to "recondition" the insoles would be B.Nelson in NY?

Technically, I guess you could re-do the welting without changing the insole since the inseam should be left intact. But if you wish to change the insole, I strongly suggest you go back to the original maker. Going to any other shoe maker, regardless how good, would involve him doing a whole lot of guess work on how to last the shoe again. It's going to affect the fit. You might be in for a surprise when you collect your shoes. Unless of course, B Nelson has access to the original last, in the correct size, your shoes were made in.
post #3604 of 4063

Have read through the first and last dozen or so pages of this thread. Fantastic stuff.

 

Just wondering - I'm in Osaka (and Kyoto) in a week or so. Not enough time for bespoke/MTO, but are there any recommendations for OTR Japanese shoes in those cities? Individual stores or department stores?

 

I know that imported shoes are generally very expensive in Japan, but would love to check out some of the locally-made high end stuff.

post #3605 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Have read through the first and last dozen or so pages of this thread. Fantastic stuff.

Just wondering - I'm in Osaka (and Kyoto) in a week or so. Not enough time for bespoke/MTO, but are there any recommendations for OTR Japanese shoes in those cities? Individual stores or department stores?

I know that imported shoes are generally very expensive in Japan, but would love to check out some of the locally-made high end stuff.

Mtm/bespoke, but bonta seems to get some attention from the Japanese. Nicely priced too. Around 100 000 yen. Can have it shipped, I'm sure.
Edited by Stefan88 - 2/15/16 at 1:32pm
post #3606 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

Have read through the first and last dozen or so pages of this thread. Fantastic stuff.

 

Just wondering - I'm in Osaka (and Kyoto) in a week or so. Not enough time for bespoke/MTO, but are there any recommendations for OTR Japanese shoes in those cities? Individual stores or department stores?

 

I know that imported shoes are generally very expensive in Japan, but would love to check out some of the locally-made high end stuff.

 

Not sure if Strasburgo in Osaka carries the high end local stuff, but they're a specialised menswear store, something like the armoury. Might be worth a visit

post #3607 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Have read through the first and last dozen or so pages of this thread. Fantastic stuff.

Just wondering - I'm in Osaka (and Kyoto) in a week or so. Not enough time for bespoke/MTO, but are there any recommendations for OTR Japanese shoes in those cities? Individual stores or department stores?

I know that imported shoes are generally very expensive in Japan, but would love to check out some of the locally-made high end stuff.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Hankyu Men's in Osaka will be worth a visit. Strasburgo focuses predominantly on imports except for the occasional trunk show by local shoemakers.
post #3608 of 4063
I've been reading a wonderful book on the origins of made in America-clothing in Japan, titled Ametora. A question I didn't find an answer there: Does someone know who first imported Western Goodyear-welted, full-leather shoes into Japan?
post #3609 of 4063

Thanks for the advice. I checked out Hankyu Men's a month ago during my first Osaka visit. Bought ties and a comb. They do have an impression selection of shoes, but mostly I saw imported brands at ridiculous prices.

 

Probably need to look again, this time with a keener eye. Which local brands might I be looking for?

 

I'll check out Strasburgo as well.

post #3610 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Thanks for the advice. I checked out Hankyu Men's a month ago during my first Osaka visit. Bought ties and a comb. They do have an impression selection of shoes, but mostly I saw imported brands at ridiculous prices.

Probably need to look again, this time with a keener eye. Which local brands might I be looking for?

I'll check out Strasburgo as well.
Clematis (made by Joe Works), Joe Works (if they have any retailers), Miyagi Kogyo (quote sure there are retailers, at least I think there is one in Kyoto?), Otsuka, Sanyo Yamacho, union imperial, perfetto
These all seem pretty nice. Seen most of them in real, too
post #3611 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

They do have an impression selection of shoes, but mostly I saw imported brands at ridiculous prices.

 

yeah LOL, don't look at american brands, they're 2X the price you see in the US (its the main reason why alden doesn't let retailers ship out of the country, they have prices set differently in different countries)

post #3612 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan88 View Post

Clematis (made by Joe Works), Joe Works (if they have any retailers), Miyagi Kogyo (quote sure there are retailers, at least I think there is one in Kyoto?), Otsuka, Sanyo Yamacho, union imperial, perfetto
These all seem pretty nice. Seen most of them in real, too

I've not been there myself, but Joe Works' website does give a physical address, perhaps it's a store front.

http://www.joeworks.net/#!contact/l3j6u

I think their stuff looks very decent.

I also like Union Imperial's stuff. They've got handwelted shoes at a pretty good price, though I'm not quite sure they are made in Japan.
post #3613 of 4063

Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated.

 

Wish I had the time (and money) for some of these bespoke makers. The quality looks amazing.

post #3614 of 4063

Joe Works Apron front Derby just received today. Last 0 and made in Annonay calf. E width.

 

 

post #3615 of 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeCeeBee View Post
 

Joe Works Apron front Derby just received today. Last 0 and made in Annonay calf. E width.

 

 

Looks great! do they have mail order or retail store-front?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread