or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread - Page 77

post #1141 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post


Pig bristles brush. The guy used it after the cream polish was applied. It's kinda tough and springy, and are supposed to force the cream polish into the pores, while removing the excess.

Goat hair brushes are much softer than horsehair. He used the brush (with a lil water on it) for the final buffing. It really seemed to eliminate the streaks/swirls left by hand polishing, but I'm sure it needs some practice. Colonil sells one, and are available through ebay? not sure. I think a lambswool mitten does an equally good job.

BAL WORKS, another fine shoe repair shop in Tokyo, uses similar (but not the same) Edoya brushes as Brift H, but they don't include bristle brushes in their regimen.

I've also seen old school shoe shiners who only use pig bristle brushes and some rags to get some serious shine.

Yeah, one horsehair brush (and maybe some rags for polishing) should be adequate for maintaining shoes.
Personally, I only use a brush (horsehair) for dusting, and use a cloth/rag for the rest (same rag for polishing and buffing). Takes 5 minutes or so. I'm getting too lazy to do a high shine (I rarely use a wax polish), so that's all I really need.

 

still on topic, what's the use for suede brush? like one that edoya sells

post #1142 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzkeren View Post

still on topic, what's the use for suede brush? like one that edoya sells

A Suede brush digs out the dirt lodged on/under the napped surface. It also combs the hair to look uniform and pretty

Yeah Edoya's suede brushes are awesome.The brass wires they use are impossibly thin (0.25mm), you can brush your arm hair with it biggrin.gif
post #1143 of 2546

@NC

so actually it has same uses like horse bristle? i have saphir horse brittle bought at tokyu hands, its the hardest brittle i can find for the value there (except hirano brush, they are very well made)

post #1144 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzkeren View Post

@NC
so actually it has same uses like horse bristle? i have saphir horse brittle bought at tokyu hands, its the hardest brittle i can find for the value there (except hirano brush, they are very well made)

Yes, Hirano brushes are quite nice, comparable to Edoya.

Pig bristles are harder than horsehair. They're excellent for applying/spreading the polish on the shoes, but I don't think anyone uses a pig bristles brush to buff out a shine.
A horsehair brush like the Saphir one you have may be a better all rounder (dusting, polishing, buffing).
post #1145 of 2546

Nutcracker what are those shoes you had shined? If at all possible, sometime would you mind taking a pic of your Japanese shoe collection?

post #1146 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

Nutcracker what are those shoes you had shined? If at all possible, sometime would you mind taking a pic of your Japanese shoe collection?

Those are the Il Quadrifoglio (Qnai Atsushi) wholecuts I posted a while back. Currently I only have 2 pairs of Japanese shoes in active duty: those and a pair of Spigolas. I do also have a pair of beat up Regal and Otsuka oxfords from a while ago, but they don't see action anymore.
post #1147 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

Nutcracker what are those shoes you had shined? If at all possible, sometime would you mind taking a pic of your Japanese shoe collection?

 

yeah i would like to see the mastah collection too biggrin.gif

post #1148 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzkeren View Post


if i'm not wrong that's the bespoke il quadrifoglio,
yeah i would like to see the mastah collection biggrin.gif

lol8[1].gif I can hold the entire collection with both hands.
post #1149 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post


Those are the Il Quadrifoglio (Qnai Atsushi) wholecuts I posted a while back. Currently I only have 2 pairs of Japanese shoes in active duty: those and a pair of Spigolas. I do also have a pair of beat up Regal and Otsuka oxfords from a while ago, but they don't see action anymore.

 

didn't you also have that stingray bespoke?

post #1150 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzkeren View Post

didn't you also have that stingray bespoke?

Those are G&G Deco happy.gif
post #1151 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post


Those are G&G Deco happy.gif


okay, so around 4-5 japanese shoes but maybe a dozen other shoes mwink[1].gif

post #1152 of 2546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzkeren View Post


okay, so around 4-5 japanese shoes but maybe a dozen other shoes mwink%5B1%5D.gif

Actually, I've sold quite a lot of my shoes when I moved to Japan. You won't believe how much you can get for an used Alden here in Japan. I recall selling my 3 yrs old Alden in shell for close to $600 USD. Pretty much got my full refund there lol8[1].gif
post #1153 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post


I'm sure there must be a precedent to this design, but still, quite cleverly put together.

it's called a TARSAL strap...
post #1154 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post


Actually, I've sold quite a lot of my shoes when I moved to Japan. You won't believe how much you can get for an used Alden here in Japan. I recall selling my 3 yrs old Alden in shell for close to $600 USD. Pretty much got my full refund there lol8[1].gif


yeah if i'm not wrong import tax for leather product in japan around 30%?

post #1155 of 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Actually, I've sold quite a lot of my shoes when I moved to Japan. You won't believe how much you can get for an used Alden here in Japan. I recall selling my 3 yrs old Alden in shell for close to $600 USD. Pretty much got my full refund there lol8[1].gif

Where's your G&G bespoke black quarter brogue Oxford?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Japanese Shoes: Bespoke & RTW Super Thread