or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Contrast Collar, Matching Pocket Square and Tie Acceptable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Contrast Collar, Matching Pocket Square and Tie Acceptable? - Page 4

post #46 of 67
Only white PS is allowed. Show as little of it as possible.
post #47 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I suppose there is no real issue in matching the shirt, or a part of the shirt. White pocket squares with white shirts are pretty standard when putting together a business-formal outfit. There is a texture contrast between the cotton shirt and the linen or silk (cream) square, which helps. Also, the shirt is generally regarded as a background aspect of the outfit, while the tie and pocket square are both foreground pieces.

Textural contrast, yes. However, when the collar is contrasting, in effect it's a foreground piece (unless the body is loud, which generally should be avoided).
post #48 of 67
Thanks Bounder. I understand what you meant now. At the start, these were not shirts one purchased new. I just didn't understand that they way it was written.
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

Professional tailors were much more common 100 years ago, and perhaps many wives then were capable of doing shirt alterations. In other words, collar replacement likely was an easy option for the common man. Exactly how contrasting collars became associated with the rich has yet to be explained - TV and film memes, perhaps.

I am not completely sure of my history of the contrast collar shirt but I am sure that RTW shirts with soft collars have been around for at least 100 years. And I really question whether many wives could or would replace collars and cuffs. For one thing, you have to make the collars and cuffs first. It certainty wasn't an "easy option for the common man." It was, however, an easy option for people who had shirt makers.

Quote:
For the record, there's no misunderstanding about pocket squares originating as handkerchiefs. That said, burgundy has been a safe darker-colored pocket square option for a while. Hence, the point that it might be passable when matching, whereas other colors probably are not. Devil's advocate: why should a white pocket square be deemed great when it matches the white collar?

If there is no misunderstanding about pocket squares originating as handkerchiefs, why do you wonder that a white pocket square would be acceptable in virtually any combination? And I don't believe there is an issue with a pocket square matching your shirt collar (which is going to be white or blue 98% of the time.) In fact, I have never heard of someone obsessing about whether their pocket square matches their collar, though given the level of sartorial OCD occasionally present on SF, I have no doubt that there is someone who does. The problem is when it matches -- as in is identical to -- your tie.
post #50 of 67
A picture is worth a 1000 words - an example:

post #51 of 67

I am dubious about the whole premise of this thread. You're speaking of three very specific items, and seem to have been cornered now into having them all in specific colors. So it sounds like you're arguing for the items as part of an outfit rather than part of a wardrobe, which I think is a larger concern than whether there is some instance in which all three can work in concert. 

post #52 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upr_crust View Post

A picture is worth a 1000 words - an example:


Looks fine, but what point is it supposed to make re pocket squares?confused.gif
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

Looks fine, but what point is it supposed to make re pocket squares?confused.gif

Here's the original posting in WAYWRN, showing the suit and white cotton handkerchief in situ:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/49140#post_6261189
post #54 of 67
There is nothing 'eff-you' or excessively egotistical about the look of upr_crust.
post #55 of 67
Thread Starter 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collar_(clothing)

That makes it probable that (outside of a few occupations) contrast collars have never been everyday wear nor the default choice for specific events and that rules for pocket square color coordination therewith have not been formalized. That information also suggests that contrasting collars (atop dress shirts or other garments) have been associated with "special" people for centuries.

How much tailoring the common man had access to 100 years ago is interesting but not very relevant and best answered by clothing historians, if any visit this forum.
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post

There is nothing 'eff-you' or excessively egotistical about the look of upr_crust.

I am very happy to hear you say that. As much as I might wish to waggishly claim to be Gordon Gekko's illegitimate spawn, I'm glad that there is some truth in advertising - I'm neither excessively egotistical nor am I very much an "eff-you" sort of personality.
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collar_(clothing)

That makes it probable that (outside of a few occupations) contrast collars have never been everyday wear nor the default choice for specific events and that rules for pocket square color coordination therewith have not been formalized. That information also suggests that contrasting collars (atop dress shirts or other garments) have been associated with "special" people for centuries.

The rules for pocket square color coordination with ties have been formalized and it's widely said that one's pocket square and tie should not match. There probably have not been additional formalized rules for situations where one wears a contrast collar because most people would assume (IMO correctly) that the rules are the same. I see absolutely no reason that the mere act of wearing a shirt with a contrasting color would suddenly make combinations that look terrible look good. Changing the color of one's shirt doesn't have this effect; why would changing the collar?
post #58 of 67
Thread Starter 
It doesn't change things from terrible to good. Arguably, it can turn lousy into passable.
post #59 of 67
I think my skepticism would still be similar re: lousy to passable. What's the point of an extra step getting ready if it doesn't make you look better. A nice outfit without a pocket square can be more than passable, so why the additional effort (I know putting in a pocket square isn't that much work) for either no change or a negative result?
post #60 of 67
Yeah... You'd be far better going without the PS than with the matchy PS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Contrast Collar, Matching Pocket Square and Tie Acceptable?