or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Singled Vented Tuxedo - Yes / No?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Singled Vented Tuxedo - Yes / No?

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

Hello, Is a tuxedo jacket with a single vent a big no?

 

http://uk.burberry.com/store/menswear/jackets/london-tailored/prod-38361171-modern-fit-grosgrain-tuxedo-jacket/?search=true

 

Is a nice jacket for me (perfect fit) but a little concerned about the vent and pockets

post #2 of 35
Oh god please not this again
post #3 of 35
Get a tailor to sew the vent closed, and tuck the pocket flaps in
post #4 of 35
Do you like the single vent? That's what counts.
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Do you like the single vent? That's what counts.

Here you go; this rule gets overlooked here all too often.
post #6 of 35

If you want a vent, then get one. Stop being a tool.

post #7 of 35
A single vent is technically wrong for a tuxedo. That said, in the real world there are far worse transgressions in people's black tie rigs. Poor fit (especially from rentals), long and/or colored ties, shoes that are completely wrong for black tie, etc. You will almost certainly look better without the single vent, but even with it, a well fitting tuxedo appropriately accessorized that happens to have a single vent will look better than 90% of black tie rigs out there. I'm personally more bothered by what appear to be very slim shawl lapels. If you like that, however, go nuts.

My two cents. If you like the tuxedo, get the vent sewn shut. Tuck in the flaps. Problem solved.
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

A single vent is technically wrong for a tuxedo. That said, in the real world there are far worse transgressions in people's black tie rigs. Poor fit (especially from rentals), long and/or colored ties, shoes that are completely wrong for black tie, etc. You will almost certainly look better without the single vent, but even with it, a well fitting tuxedo appropriately accessorized that happens to have a single vent will look better than 90% of black tie rigs out there. I'm personally more bothered by what appear to be very slim shawl lapels. If you like that, however, go nuts.

My two cents. If you like the tuxedo, get the vent sewn shut. Tuck in the flaps. Problem solved.

This is groupthink nonsense. Tuxedos have been made in many iterations, including with single vents. Who are you to say which iterations are right or wrong? If one prefers single vents, it's his business and perfectly okay. The same goes for long ties and shoes you say are "wrong for black tie." Everyone has their own preferences.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

This is groupthink nonsense. Tuxedos have been made in many iterations, including with single vents. Who are you to say which iterations are right or wrong? If one prefers single vents, it's his business and perfectly okay. The same goes for long ties and shoes you say are "wrong for black tie." Everyone has their own preferences.

Did someone break Foo?
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewi View Post


Did someone break Foo?

I assume this is related to the recent thread where Foo argued against center vents on a tuxedo, only to be vehemently opposed by a few posters. I guess this is his version of Manton's "It's all relative, wear what you want" thread.

post #11 of 35
This is the correct answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Get a tailor to sew the vent closed, and tuck the pocket flaps in

Everyone else is just making game of you.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar View Post

Everyone else is just making game of you.

The only game is the one that forum "experts" play on themselves. They spread self-contrived rules for everyone to follow because they need to believe there is a formula for style. They don't want to have to think for themselves or use any creativity when ordering their fancy bespoke clothes. And that's okay, if that's what you're looking for. But not everyone needs such rigid structure to feel good about themselves. If you can make a single vent work, then more power to you. Some of us are no vent people, some of us are double vent people, and some of us are single vent people. Variety is the spice of life.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

This is groupthink nonsense. Tuxedos have been made in many iterations, including with single vents. Who are you to say which iterations are right or wrong? If one prefers single vents, it's his business and perfectly okay. The same goes for long ties and shoes you say are "wrong for black tie." Everyone has their own preferences.

After reading this, I'll be waiting for a thread on the end of the OneShoe. biggrin.gif
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

The only game is the one that forum "experts" play on themselves. They spread self-contrived rules for everyone to follow because they need to believe there is a formula for style. They don't want to have to think for themselves or use any creativity when ordering their fancy bespoke clothes. And that's okay, if that's what you're looking for. But not everyone needs such rigid structure to feel good about themselves. If you can make a single vent work, then more power to you. Some of us are no vent people, some of us are double vent people, and some of us are single vent people. Variety is the spice of life.

A+ trolling. cheers.gif
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar View Post

A+ trolling. cheers.gif

+1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Singled Vented Tuxedo - Yes / No?