or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Briefcase porn thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefcase porn thread - Page 156

post #2326 of 2582
I like Oppermann London's designs and prices but I would buy it from a place with a good return policy. I only say this because I was once shown pictures of a Oppermann London bag that a member on this forum bought from a 3rd part reseller. The leather was pretty shoddy looking. Like someone had crunched it up before boxing the item up and shipping it out. He decided to return it and try a different brand. Now I am by no means saying this single story reflects the brand of Oppermann London as a whole, but I felt it worth sharing. My opinion is unless these stories are wide-spread it may be worth trying a brand anyways as long as you can return it and get your money back if not happy.
Edited by Jr Mouse - 3/10/16 at 11:03am
post #2327 of 2582
Put This On (which I believe Dieworkwear still writes for) did a briefcase round up a little while back that may be worth your time checking out. http://putthison.com/post/102537408553/the-great-pto-briefcase-roundup-whether-because

One brand they recommended was Tusting. Now while I am not a fan of the particular bag they called out I do like the Henley and Marston. Both of which look spot on for your taste in briefcase and have several colors to pick from.

Retail in USD would be higher than you want to spend, but I bet they do sales. 3rd party retailers also carry the brand and you may find them on sale there too if patient and are willing to wait.




post #2328 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Like someone had crunched it up before boxing the item up and shipping it out.

You can see even from the photo above (and bearing in mind they probably hand-picked the sample and used flattering photography) that the leather is not top quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

One brand they recommended was Tusting....Retail in USD would be higher than you want to spend, but I bet they do sales. 3rd party retailers also carry the brand and you may find them on sale there too if patient and are willing to wait.

Tusting also do a lot of third-party / white label stuff. Quality is very good and if you have a keen eye you can find real bargains on eBay such as this (will come up great with just a bit of leather conditioner):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361506671685?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also well worth looking at Whitehouse Cox - very good pricing on their eBay specials, especially with the USD / GBP rate at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whitehouse-Cox-L9892-Zip-Top-Side-Pocket-Briefcase-Winter-Special-Offer-/201528133988?var=&hash=item2eec034964:m:mGi3ys0YLrlEOKcqKHwRdzw

post #2329 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post

You can see even from the photo above (and bearing in mind they probably hand-picked the sample and used flattering photography) that the leather is not top quality

You are likely right. I mainly wanted to make it clear this was one guy who shared his experience with me in private over PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post

Tusting also do a lot of third-party / white label stuff. Quality is very good and if you have a keen eye you can find real bargains on eBay such as this (will come up great with just a bit of leather conditioner):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361506671685?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I didn't know they did third party stuff. Any way to find a wider list of these for future searches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post


Also well worth looking at Whitehouse Cox - very good pricing on their eBay specials, especially with the USD / GBP rate at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whitehouse-Cox-L9892-Zip-Top-Side-Pocket-Briefcase-Winter-Special-Offer-/201528133988?var=&hash=item2eec034964:m:mGi3ys0YLrlEOKcqKHwRdzw


I really like this design. Too bad the ebay listing you linked too says they only have black left. I'll keep this brand in mind for the future. A google search shows a lot of Japanese retailers selling them.
post #2330 of 2582

It seems that Ray Clark is back.

 

post #2331 of 2582

If you're looking at Tusting, it's worth noting that Levenger sells several of their bags, and that their ebay account often offers open box items at a significant discount.  I have the briefbag, which I think is quite nice for the price I paid.

post #2332 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

I really like this design. Too bad the ebay listing you linked too says they only have black left. I'll keep this brand in mind for the future. A google search shows a lot of Japanese retailers selling them.

Color is a lot more yellow in real life. I thought about buying one a couple of weeks ago but decided against it. The color is even lighter than these photos, which I think are more accurate than what they put up on their eBay auction

http://putthison.com/post/140040723478/ebay-roundup-i-waffled-back-and-forth-last-night
post #2333 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohnjason View Post
 

 

 

Absolutely in love with these designs and I love vegetable tanned leather. but i checked on their website it's around $960 ?

 

My current budget is just under $500 (I know it's a bit of a stretch for a good quality vegetable tanned leather bag), I tend to go for more of quality than fast fashion.

Rancourt & Co had this http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/blog/2014/10/29/everyday-briefcase-frank-clegg-rancourt-co/ in Tan at $595 2 weeks ago not sure if they still have them.

post #2334 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

I like Oppermann London's designs and prices but I would buy it from a place with a good return policy. I only say this because I was once shown pictures of a Oppermann London bag that a member on this forum bought from a 3rd part reseller. The leather was pretty shoddy looking. Like someone had crunched it up before boxing the item up and shipping it out. He decided to return it and try a different brand. Now I am by no means saying this single story reflects the brand of Oppermann London as a whole, but I felt it worth sharing. My opinion is unless these stories are wide-spread it may be worth trying a brand anyways as long as you can return it and get your money back if not happy.

 

Hmm but he bought it from a 3rd party seller, cuz from my understanding, vegetable tanned leather is easily scratched or "crumpled" but I do like that aspect of it, so that might be a reason for why it seemed like it was bad quality? I don't paticularly trust the packing methods of some companies, because a lot of the times people don't know how to handle leather well. 

 

my friend told me  he bought it directly from the website and the quality seems pretty impeccable. next day delivery and free returns in the UK (i'm based in London, so returns policy shouldn't be too much of a problem for me)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonC View Post


You can see even from the photo above (and bearing in mind they probably hand-picked the sample and used flattering photography) that the leather is not top quality
 

 

Hmm sorry maybe i'm a novice leather enthusiast, but could you specify? It looks alright to me.

post #2335 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohnjason View Post

Hmm sorry maybe i'm a novice leather enthusiast, but could you specify? It looks alright to me.

I would start reading here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties/0_50
post #2336 of 2582
Anyone buying a full grain veggie tanned leather briefcase for $500 or less that is not on a deep discount from a much higher MSRP shouldn't be going into the purchase expecting "top quality." There will likely be some corners cut here and their. But that doesn't mean the product itself won't have the qualities a knowledgeable buyer is looking for based on their needs and budget.

Suitsupply is by no means a top quality maker but they have proven themselves (IMO) to be outstanding bang for your buck with pricing similar to the cheaply made fused crap one could pick up at a local big box mall chain.

Maybe it's best to go into viewing companies like Linjer, etc in a similar vain? I know this was the point Rach tried to get across is his review of Linjers brief a while back. It's not going to get you Hermmes quality, but that doesn't mean it's not a good product and outstanding value.

I say none of this defense of Oppermann as they may indeed be selling a fairly poor quality product marketed as something better. I've no first hand experience to say either way.
post #2337 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Color is a lot more yellow in real life. I thought about buying one a couple of weeks ago but decided against it. The color is even lighter than these photos, which I think are more accurate than what they put up on their eBay auction

http://putthison.com/post/140040723478/ebay-roundup-i-waffled-back-and-forth-last-night

That's disappointing... I had seen some pictures of the bag online that appeared even darker then the one off eBay and had hope the bag's shade leaned that way. I would have passed too.
post #2338 of 2582
PSA: Frank Clegg bag on eBay for a steal. Looks barely used and he's willing to take best offers.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?campid=5337411015&toolid=10001&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F151994663640

Looks like the collab he did with Dan from Styleblogger a while back but the seller says its custom. Someone in the market who likes the style should jump on it. Frank Clegg does wonderful work. I know Dieworkwear speaks highly of them.
Edited by Jr Mouse - 3/11/16 at 10:13am
post #2339 of 2582

A couple more days and I'll get to post this mini briefcase that I'm working on! I have a full size one that I'll be making soon - antique calfskin. Later on I'll be making a crocodile one.

 

post #2340 of 2582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Thanks for posting that. It's one of the designs Frank makes that I enjoy and I was curious to see some photos in the wild, not product shots.

Here are some more pictures under better lighting in the office. The color is more true to real life in these. The last picture compares the new darker cognac to the older lighter version. I believe they changed sources
For the cognac and the darker version is going to be color going forward.












New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Briefcase porn thread