or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***SW&D Photography Thread***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***SW&D Photography Thread*** - Page 56

post #826 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

Right exposure is subjective.

/guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithpants View Post

He's saying that exposure is an artistic choice & therefore there's no objective right or wrong

I hope not. Your point has an obvious paradox that if you are choosing something, that choice can be considered right or wrong.
It's called opinion.

As an artist failing to convey or at least to draw speculation as to the motivation for decisions you've made, is about as bad as it gets.

Case in point, (I'll stick with exposure) I don't like Salgado's style of exposure, it's far too heavy and extreme for me. However I'd never suggest it to be wrong because it is executed to an incredible standard. Quality will always shine through and you can appreciate something even if you don't like it. Artistry is no excuse for poor technique.

It's also my biggest frustration with digital displays, it removes a layer of quality.

I hope people can sense the passion here and don't take this the wrong way.
post #827 of 988
booo
post #828 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatandtricycle View Post


I hope not. Your point has an obvious paradox that if you are choosing something, that choice can be considered right or wrong.
It's called opinion.

As an artist failing to convey or at least to draw speculation as to the motivation for decisions you've made, is about as bad as it gets.

Case in point, (I'll stick with exposure) I don't like Salgado's style of exposure, it's far too heavy and extreme for me. However I'd never suggest it to be wrong because it is executed to an incredible standard. Quality will always shine through and you can appreciate something even if you don't like it. Artistry is no excuse for poor technique.

It's also my biggest frustration with digital displays, it removes a layer of quality.

I hope people can sense the passion here and don't take this the wrong way.

You sound like you're really boring. You must suck at life. That's my opinion. Therefore I am right because it's my opinion.
post #829 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by el Bert View Post

You sound like you're really boring. You must suck at life. That's my opinion. Therefore I am right because it's my opinion.
Haha you may well be right
post #830 of 988
Guy's response was the best. I should have learned from him.
post #831 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

Guy's response was the best. I should have learned from him.
Haha fair enough. I shoot 5x4 for goodness sake, of course I'm going to be picky about things.
Let's get back to some images
post #832 of 988


(Shot with iPhone 6 peepwall[1].gif)
post #833 of 988
^ iPhone is the greatest camera of all time. It's always with you, fast focus, great WB, and can process/post to web.
post #834 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup View Post

^ iPhone is the greatest camera of all time. It's always with you, fast focus, great WB, and can process/post to web.
All of this is true - until you try to look at the pics using a bigger screen. Like, 14".

Actually, as with everything, as long as you understand the limitations of your device and stick using it within its comfort zone, you can make great pictures.
post #835 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatandtricycle View Post

It's hard to tell on that version of the image but the exposure doesn't seem right to me.
Do you have a website?
Well it's not that I'm satisfied already - I would love to get more details on the highlights - but could you perhaps be more specific?

I do have Flickr and insta, need to clean up first though.
post #836 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by globobock View Post


Well it's not that I'm satisfied already - I would love to get more details on the highlights - but could you perhaps be more specific?

I do have Flickr and insta, need to clean up first though.

Sure, what are you shooting on firstly?

Would be good to see once its clean...

 

Edit: What I would probably recommend (if possible) is trying a polarising filter, you will lose a stop overall but it should bring more detail to the highlights.


Edited by goatandtricycle - 2/18/16 at 8:22am
post #837 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatandtricycle View Post
 

Sure, what are you shooting on firstly?

Would be good to see once its clean...

 

Edit: What I would probably recommend (if possible) is trying a polarising filter, you will lose a stop overall but it should bring more detail to the highlights.


The Picture in this thread was downloaded from my flickr-page. It could be that I've tried to fiddle around with the in-flickr editing tool. Not good obviously, because it means that you work on an already compressed jpg instead on the RAW.

 

I'll need to set my personal Pictures at flickr to private first before I publish it :)

 

My insta-acc is @wsprima ... not much there, mostly taken with an iPhone. But it gives an Impression on my Favorit photography subjects.

 

My biggest Problem in photography is time. You need adequate time to make a decent Picture - soaking up the atmosphere, deciding on a composition, putting on and trying out several filter Settings... all the stuff. But most of my Pictures These days are taken while on a stroll with Family (more than 5 minutes for a Picture? you kidding me?) or when I stop by during a Long Business trip drive. Obviously it Shows in the Quality. Not to put up an excuse though....

 

The iPhone is actually a decent camera, mostly because of ist availability. I always try to make a fast iPhone Version besides of my SLR-Versions... the modern Polaroid, so to speak. What you should avoid is playing with the iPhone filters too much. TIt will look nice on your phone, but rubbish on the bigger Monitor Screen.

post #838 of 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by globobock View Post
 


The Picture in this thread was downloaded from my flickr-page. It could be that I've tried to fiddle around with the in-flickr editing tool. Not good obviously, because it means that you work on an already compressed jpg instead on the RAW.

 

I'll need to set my personal Pictures at flickr to private first before I publish it :)

 

My insta-acc is @wsprima ... not much there, mostly taken with an iPhone. But it gives an Impression on my Favorit photography subjects.

 

My biggest Problem in photography is time. You need adequate time to make a decent Picture - soaking up the atmosphere, deciding on a composition, putting on and trying out several filter Settings... all the stuff. But most of my Pictures These days are taken while on a stroll with Family (more than 5 minutes for a Picture? you kidding me?) or when I stop by during a Long Business trip drive. Obviously it Shows in the Quality. Not to put up an excuse though....

 

The iPhone is actually a decent camera, mostly because of ist availability. I always try to make a fast iPhone Version besides of my SLR-Versions... the modern Polaroid, so to speak. What you should avoid is playing with the iPhone filters too much. TIt will look nice on your phone, but rubbish on the bigger Monitor Screen.

Yeah probably don't use a polarised filter with an iphone 

post #839 of 988

So I listen to the LPV show podcast, which is just an incredible resource for learning. Not technical learning, but much more about formal, project-oriented, conceptual learning. Which, I think with photography, is much harder than the technical side of things (at least for me).

 

Recently a photographer called Elle Perez was featured, and one thing they talked about what a list of thoughts she wrote after she critiqued her students' photographs (she teaches at an undergrad level, IIRC). I've found delving into this list insanely thought provoking and clarifying, so I want to share:

 

  1. Subject: What the photograph is ‘of’ in the physical world. 
  2. Form: Method of description used, physical materials, and manipulation by the artist
  3. Content: Conversations and ideas made present by the interaction of the subject and the formal strategies. 
  4. Pointing your camera at something does not make a photograph, though it can.
  5. Photographic Strategies.
  6. Juxtaposition
  7. Compression
  8. Distortion
  9. Scale
  10. Surface
  11. Interplay
  12. Gesture
  13. Logic
  14. Intensive looking leads to successful seeing.
  15. What do you want to look at with your camera? 
  16. What you want to look at is not what you want to think about.
  17. Your intellectual life feeds your artwork. But intellectualism without formal commitment and investigation does not make good art.
  18. Successful photographs raise philosophical questions through formal decisions and strategies.
  19. Directions not directives.
  20. Personal investment. Technical Investment. Time Investment.
  21. Pictures that reward sustained looking are the most successful kind.
  22. State the obvious. 
  23. During critique, at first limit your verbal response to describing and interrogating the formal qualities of the work.
  24. Your content relates to your subject matter through form.
  25. Form. Form!
  26. Image, Object
  27. Photographs are objects.
  28. Your idiosyncrasies are the only thing you truly have, and the only thing that will ever save you.
  29. What are the conditions under which you are most productive?
  30. How do you solve a problem?
  31. Form and Content.
  32. Formal strategies of investigation lead to production of content. 
  33. Subject matter is not Content.
  34. Know what decisions you made and own your decisions.
  35. Play is exploration that is necessary for making, and setting up the parameters for play should be a part of any undertaking.
  36. Technique is a matter of personal preference, but technique should have a considered logic. 
  37. Sustained investigation, Sustained looking, Sustained thinking.
  38. Disagree with me. Talk back.
  39. Pictures are not people. Pictures are not reality. Pictures are not performances. Pictures are Pictures.
  40. What is reality?
  41. Pictures can go on a wall, Pictures can go on screens, Pictures are everywhere. Where are pictures? 
  42. Photography describes surfaces.
  43. What can a photograph do?
  44. Where is the boundary of photography? How can you find and explore that space?

 

If you want to read for yourself, just scroll down here:

http://elleperez.tumblr.com/

 

Some of these really stand out to me, others I'm not sure I understand, others don't seem to say much, but as a whole it's one of the most concise descriptions of concepts within photography that I've found.

 

If anyone finds anything else like this (in any form) shoot me a link, ya?

post #840 of 988






New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***SW&D Photography Thread***