I shot with a film camera exclusively for about 4 years. Yea, it's cool holding it, the weight, the heaviness...it feels solid in a way that 'old-fashioned' feels solid, like these days cameras can feel pretty damn flimsy even though they last a long time, but my old minolta felt like holding a small tank. I loved the satisfaction of winding the film, especially when you're finally done with a roll of carefully selected exposures. The "emotional" quality of the photo, like the soft graininess of the film, the fact that you savor every shot because you only have 36/roll (at least that's how I shot film...never the mass quantity type) and of course the weeklong anticipation of getting a stack of photos back in the mail after shuttling them off for development.
That said, film sucks a lot too. It's expensive as shit to buy (quality stuff, not that bullshit at convenience stores) and print, especially if you want it developed and printed by anyone competent these days. I don't miss the heaviness of it when I lugged it around on longer trips, even though I only shot with 1 lens it was simply too bulky to travel with. Had to limit a lot of what I wanted to do in terms of photography since the cost. The convenience of digital outweighs the nostalgia for me these days. I still want to pick up some film cameras though...would like to keep around for those special times.
Originally Posted by VirtruviusR
Nothing in the digital age quite comes close. There's instant gratification and a sort of flippancy to how we shoot most of the time. After all, it's not as though each shot costs in both time and money as it does with film. Each shot isn't so much careful consideration as, "hmm that looks nice." No longer does (except in rare instances with Leica's or etc) one manually set the aperture and on lens, a mechanical connection to the camera itself, figure out the exposure settings without the aid of fancy electronics and set a gritty focus. It was once a much more pure, artistic feeling. There was just this deeper connection between man, machine, moment that seems conspicuously absent in this era of the ubiquitous DSLR. Perhaps I'm just waxing poetic because it represents a curious form of nostalgia for me (especially considering I am most certainly a child of the Digital age and film was long gone from the mainstream by my high school days), but film photography will always have a special place in my heart.
I agree with this to an extent, but it's all up to the photographer. I specifically made sure that when I bought my digital it would "feel" like a film camera. I shoot manual on mine maybe 75% of the time, the other 25% is usually when I'm being lazy I'll set it to ap prio. I use it most of the time like I did with film, and I agree there is less of a connection since I can just shoot multiple shots and see instantly, and of course this is both very gratifying and kind of sad, too. At the same time you aren't held back by any of the limitations of film. I think you're definitely romanticizing film a little; digitals are super powerful these days and it's all up to you to choose how to use em