or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Serious Crimes Against CM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Serious Crimes Against CM - Page 8

post #106 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Oversize knots make the list I think. Multiple stripes not egregious enough, and can be ok casually.

Completely agree on both counts. I don't like multistripe shirts, but if worn casually, there are far worse things out there.
post #107 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by red81 View Post


it's such a fine line between stupid and clever - spinal tap.

 

there's some things that can't be "pulled off" by anyone.

 

i saw a guy this morning wearing what was clearly a woman's hat with a big flower on it, with a notre dame jersey tucked into his jeans and wearing sandals.

 

while he had no inhibitions, he looked like a clown.

 

now that i think about it, he was probably not "all there" so i shouldn't say anything bad.

 

Wasn't that all the rage of Pitti/#menswear this year?  Not much of an offense.

post #108 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Oversize knots make the list I think. Multiple stripes not egregious enough, and can be ok casually.


 

If oversized knots is an offense, then Duke of Kent has been committing serious crimes against Classic Menswear for decades...

post #109 of 140
Thread Starter 
That's bigger than even his usual. But his knots, while big, are usually still proportional in that they're long and wide. The worst are the ones that are too wide for their length.
post #110 of 140
Gorge that sits on the shoulder
Way high buttoning point (or extremely low for that matter)
Skinny lapels (unless you are thin as a rail as well)
Tasteless contrast color buttons/fabric/thread on shirts (like bright orange buttons on white shirt or something that can never be worn with anything without looking like you just graduated clown school)
Novelty ties
Fedoras and Trilbys that are completely wrong size/shape for the person wearing them
post #111 of 140
Thread Starter 
Contrast stitching may make the list.
post #112 of 140

Sigh. I like high buttoning points. I even like the buttoning point included in the example provided. I think I'm broken.

 

Some of these things mentioned (like unbuckled double monks, lady's hats) aren't really stuff that new folk ask about. Those seem more like iGent crimes against CM. Giant knots, on the other hand, make a lot of appearances in "does this look good" threads.

post #113 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Even in cases where you might think a darker shirt looks OK, I still think of it as not-for-the-office.

Depends on the office, but I'd generally agree. I work someplace where I can dress pretty much any way I want, so It'd fly there, but at a couple previous places of employment, it would be a decided no-go even on days where tieless casual attire was okay.
Edited by cptjeff - 3/30/13 at 8:12pm
post #114 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

Gorge that sits on the shoulder
Way high buttoning point (or extremely low for that matter)
Skinny lapels (unless you are thin as a rail as well)
Tasteless contrast color buttons/fabric/thread on shirts (like bright orange buttons on white shirt or something that can never be worn with anything without looking like you just graduated clown school)
Novelty ties
Fedoras and Trilbys that are completely wrong size/shape for the person wearing them

 

this is probably the right way to do this thread.

post #115 of 140

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I dislike the bright colored bow tíe with tuxedo look.  Tie should be black or, at least, black and white or black and silver.  Also, matching colored bow tie and cummerbund sets are right out!

post #116 of 140
That does sound awful, but I am not sure that is a common enough mistake/query/crime.
post #117 of 140
Trousers so long that they form pools of cloth slopping about the ankles. baldy[1].gif
post #118 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

That does sound awful, but I am not sure that is a common enough mistake/query/crime.
I think this is more common than you think, especially at weddings. I agree that non-black bow ties worn with tuxedos should be on the list of crimes.
post #119 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

Describe the difference to me please.

A reasonable question out in the the real world. However, this is Style Forum. Highly unlikely that anyone here is going to possess a pair of ugly square toed shoes. If they do, they sure as hell ain't going to be posting pictures of them.

Lear
post #120 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post

A reasonable question out in the the real world. However, this is Style Forum. Highly unlikely that anyone here is going to possess a pair of ugly square toed shoes. If they do, they sure as hell ain't going to be posting pictures of them.

Lear

Probably many have had 'em, as first dress shoes for example. I certainly have because I didn't know any better. To be honest the Cleverleys posted are pretty ugly to me. With less angular chisel they would be better. For example the C&J 748 is somewhat chiseled but much softer than Cleverley.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Serious Crimes Against CM