or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you hand wash or dry clean your fine cashmere/wool knits before storing for the season?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you hand wash or dry clean your fine cashmere/wool knits before storing for the season?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I plan on hand washing with Forever New, since that is generally how I clean them, and I don't trust dry cleaners with my nicer things.

I assume that is sufficient to mitigate the risk of moths, etc.
post #2 of 24
Thread Starter 
Calling bourbonbasted...
post #3 of 24

 I'd like to know too cause I'm going to be getting some wool turtlenecks. I just got a nice merino wool v-neck.

post #4 of 24

how about space bag, or some kind of giant plastic bag for storage to keep out moths

post #5 of 24

Hand wash.

post #6 of 24
This is my procedure....
  • Half-fill kitchen sink (or plastic tub) with cold water.
  • Stir 2 Tablespoons of liquid Tide into water.
  • Place cashmere (or any wool) garment into water. Let soak 15-20 minutes.
  • Gently agitate garment in water for ~5 minutes. Do not excessively wring or squeeze garment.
  • Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • To rinse, re-fill sink / tub with cold water. Let soak 5 min, gently agitating water for duration.
  • Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • Do a second rinse. Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • Lay a thick towel on table.
  • Take rinsed and drained garment and lay flat inside-out on table, shaping it to original shape.
  • Lay on towel for 10 minutes or as needed to further remove excess water.
  • Hang garment (inside out) on hangar. If sweater, drape arms over shoulders.
  • Have a catch basin under hanging garment. Let dry several hours.
  • When dry, make outside-out again, shape, then roll or gently fold garment for storage.

NOTE:
1) do not wash multiple garments colours together as some are colour-fast and their dyes may bleed into the others. Wash garments seperately.

This same procedure can be used to hand wash almost any garment.
Hope it helps.
post #7 of 24

...directions on the care label?

post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

...directions on the care label?

 

No, because the care label will likely say "dry clean only", which is poor advice (but safe advice to give to the general populus).

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by biged781 View Post

 

No, because the care label will likely say "dry clean only", which is poor advice (but safe advice to give to the general populus).

 

...maybe...maybe not...only 1 way to find out.

post #10 of 24
I follow Man of Lint's basic procedure, except I clean my sink thoroughly first, I use Woolite, and I NEVER hang my sweaters. Instead, I roll them up in the towel, jelly-roll style, to dry overnight. Then a roll them up in a second towel for the day, then spread them out on the table to finish air-drying.

I would never send my sweaters to the dry-cleaner because the organic solvents they all use will strip natural oils from the wool. Mild soaps like Woolite will allow the wool to retain those oils through more cleanings.
Edited by thinman - 4/3/13 at 8:50pm
post #11 of 24
For wool & cashmere sweaters, I swear by Eucalan.

No rinse necessary and maintains the lanolin count. I set my HE front loader to "Delicate" and "Rinse & Spin" and go to town. Lay flat on a towel covered ironing board to dry. No more crunchy dry cleaned sweaters.

While I do sort loads into similar colors I still always use those Color Catcher things to prevent disasters.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

This is my procedure....
  • Half-fill kitchen sink (or plastic tub) with cold water.
  • Stir 2 Tablespoons of liquid Tide into water.
  • Place cashmere (or any wool) garment into water. Let soak 15-20 minutes.
  • Gently agitate garment in water for ~5 minutes. Do not excessively wring or squeeze garment.
  • Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • To rinse, re-fill sink / tub with cold water. Let soak 5 min, gently agitating water for duration.
  • Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • Do a second rinse. Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • Lay a thick towel on table.
  • Take rinsed and drained garment and lay flat inside-out on table, shaping it to original shape.
  • Lay on towel for 10 minutes or as needed to further remove excess water.
  • Hang garment (inside out) on hangar. If sweater, drape arms over shoulders.
  • Have a catch basin under hanging garment. Let dry several hours.
  • When dry, make outside-out again, shape, then roll or gently fold garment for storage.

NOTE:
1) do not wash multiple garments colours together as some are colour-fast and their dyes may bleed into the others. Wash garments seperately.

This same procedure can be used to hand wash almost any garment.
Hope it helps.

 I pretty much used this procedure but didn't hang it until it was dry.

post #13 of 24
Only small tymers wash their cash wears. Everyone knows that you wear it once, maybe twice then throw it away. Sheesh.
post #14 of 24
Hand wash once or twice per year with hand wash gel. Natural dry
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Only small tymers wash their cash wears. Everyone knows that you wear it once, maybe twice then throw it away. Sheesh.

 Well, that's me...peepwall[1].gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Do you hand wash or dry clean your fine cashmere/wool knits before storing for the season?