or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Madova Gloves in Florence
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Madova Gloves in Florence - Page 3

post #31 of 94
What type of deer is Peccary?
post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

It's a good thing you got your peccary gloves unlined. That's arguably the only right way to get them. After all, the chief pleasure of peccary is how it feels on the skin and molds to your hand. Cashmere and silk-lined versions miss the point.

Great point, but what about wearing gloves for their warmth? I doubt peccary unlined gloves could keep you warm in Northeast winters or in Canada where I am. Will post some of my Merola gloves in a couple of days. Really like them. They are Rome not Florentine based as far as I know. Such a shame Madova won't do MTO, any other options in Florence that are comparable and more accommodating?
post #33 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by flirtkakat View Post

Dopey, that might be one of the most painful things I've read of late. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Thanks. It was more than a year ago, maybe two, so I am over it. I still have the other glove as a reminder. When I lose enough other gloves, I may go back and replace the Hermes pair, but now, it would be double-extra-stupid as I have plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHardy View Post

What type of deer is Peccary?
It is a kind of pig.
post #34 of 94
1Cp6M36011.jpg
post #35 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

When I was in Florence, I noticed that there were quite a few glove shops just like Madova. Why is Madova the only one known in the forums? What about the others? I noticed that the prices were quite reasonable but only in retrospect. Sermoneta in Rome was quite a bit more expensive and I realized I should have bought gloves while in Florence. Also, the unlined carpincho absorb the oils from your skin. My skin got quite dry the first few times I wore the gloves. The oils also darken the gloves over time. Mine are light brown, so it is more noticeable than if they were dark.

I do not want to always be napolicentric, but Naples could stake a better claim to glove making centre then sartorial centre. There were some info released by the chamber of commerce some time ago about Neapolitan artisanal production, and apparently around 90% of Italian glove export came from Naples at some point. There are plenty of roads in Naples named after glove makers (guantai), and there is still many workshop that make contracted work for big firms. I have in fact met a guy in November that worked in a workshop where they were completing an order for Bottega Veneta at the time. The glove making centre is the Sanita' area, where the Sofia Loren' s Gold of Naples was shot.
post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Thanks. It was more than a year ago, maybe two, so I am over it. I still have the other glove as a reminder. When I lose enough other gloves, I may go back and replace the Hermes pair, but now, it would be double-extra-stupid as I have plenty.
It is a kind of pig.

I would be tempted to contact Hermes and see if they might let you buy one glove for half the price. Its a premium product....shouldn't really be asking for too much?
post #37 of 94
That is a not-entirely-insane idea. I will try to remember to bring the remaining one by their menswear shop and ask.
post #38 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

I do not want to always be napolicentric, but Naples could stake a better claim to glove making centre then sartorial centre. There were some info released by the chamber of commerce some time ago about Neapolitan artisanal production, and apparently around 90% of Italian glove export came from Naples at some point. There are plenty of roads in Naples named after glove makers (guantai), and there is still many workshop that make contracted work for big firms. I have in fact met a guy in November that worked in a workshop where they were completing an order for Bottega Veneta at the time. The glove making centre is the Sanita' area, where the Sofia Loren' s Gold of Naples was shot.

Any Neapolitan glove stores I should check out? Any of them speak English?
post #39 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post


It is a kind of pig.

Thank Dopey. I knew that , but thank you for the clarification.

I was just piggy backing (pun intended) on LAGuy's comment on pulling a Moo.

An old story before he was a 30 something.
post #40 of 94
Oh noes, they don't offer MTM any longer? I quite enjoyed that service. Which has resulted, btw, in my owning far too many gloves for someone who lives in Florida
post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Oh noes, they don't offer MTM any longer? I quite enjoyed that service. Which has resulted, btw, in my owning far too many gloves for someone who lives in Florida


A gentleman can never own too many gloves. I would however consider moving, for the sake of them.

post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Any Neapolitan glove stores I should check out? Any of them speak English?
None come to mind as most accessories shop would carry made for them ranges. There is one workshop that have recently opened to direct sales. I will try to remember the name.
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

None come to mind as most accessories shop would carry made for them ranges. There is one workshop that have recently opened to direct sales. I will try to remember the name.

Do you mean places like Mr. Fox, Cilento, Argenio and etc?
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Dunno what it means to pull a Moo but I will email Madova to confirm

no confirmation needed. those you have are carpincho.
post #45 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

+1. Compared to other florentine makers, Madova is not that great imho.

I can imagine. I've had two pairs of Silk lined 306 The fit is pretty poor, on the first pair one of the seams connecting the thumb to the palm area bursted. On the second pair alot of the seams came undone on various areas of the gloves only after 2 months of wear.

Sure the preice is good but I would not buy a pair again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Madova Gloves in Florence