or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Material for Bespoke suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Material for Bespoke suit

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

All, 

 I live in SF. I am planning to go to India on a vacation. I heard of a great tailor in India who makes bespoke suits. I believe their top of the line suit comes to $2K.  I wanted to figure out if I could maybe buy the material here in SF (or possibly online) before I go there so that would make things cheaper. 

 

Can anyone recommend me a possible shop? Material recommendations would also be extremely welcome. 

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 9
The only easily accessible fabric sellers I know of are British-fabrics on eBay and Harrisons Burley. Both are based in the UK and sell quality fabric at pretty decent prices. British-fabrics is one guy who does the run of the different mills in England buying end of line fabric bolts and then flips them on Ebay. Harrisons Burley are a mill in the UK that sells directly to the to the public.
post #3 of 9

I posted this on another thread earlier. try here....

http://www.dormeuil.com/en/cloth-collection/detailed-collection/
 

post #4 of 9
Many of the top Indian tailors will not work on material that is not purchased from them. As tailoring costs are so low, they typically make their margin on the cloth they sell. The top end guys do carry dormeuil, loro piana, etc.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishan22 View Post

Many of the top Indian tailors will not work on material that is not purchased from them. As tailoring costs are so low, they typically make their margin on the cloth they sell. The top end guys do carry dormeuil, loro piana, etc.

Agree and indeed why should they?

How many "top Indian tailors" exist there are few here with decent reports so take care those you call good and those who actually are good.
post #6 of 9
True - only really two - Syed Bawkher and Vaish are the only ones. They are very good for the price point.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishan22 View Post

True - only really two - Syed Bawkher and Vaish are the only ones. They are very good for the price point.

Hi nishan22,

  So the taylor I am planning to hit up is Syed Bawkher. I have heard good stories about them.. Would you happen to know they only use their own in house material ?

post #8 of 9

Yes, they only use in-house material and they carry some of the top brand names across the world. They have a tradition which spans some 100 years and many celebrities and top executives frequent their shop, not to mention anyone who wants a wedding suit to be stitched. One stop shop. I know as some of my clothes are made there. You can visit their website www.syedbawkher.com
 

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishan22 View Post

Many of the top Indian tailors will not work on material that is not purchased from them. As tailoring costs are so low, they typically make their margin on the cloth they sell. The top end guys do carry dormeuil, loro piana, etc.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishan22 View Post

True - only really two - Syed Bawkher and Vaish are the only ones. They are very good for the price point.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Modi View Post
 

Yes, they only use in-house material and they carry some of the top brand names across the world. They have a tradition which spans some 100 years and many celebrities and top executives frequent their shop, not to mention anyone who wants a wedding suit to be stitched. One stop shop. I know as some of my clothes are made there. You can visit their website www.syedbawkher.com
 

 

Any ideas if they have Fresco, Finmeresco and Crispaire? What would they charge for a suit on that? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Material for Bespoke suit