or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Should I Go For An MBA?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I Go For An MBA? - Page 2

post #16 of 29

I went to a school the regularly ranked nationally, but it's not one of the "best of the best" schools. It has a very strong reputation in and around the city. I make a very good living. Don't think that you need to go to a top 5 school or it's "not worth it." There are  alot of things to consider. You have to consider:

 

-The industry that you're interested in

-The reputation that the school has in the industry and the on-campus recruiting

-If you want to work in a certain area, then about the regional reputation of the school

-The career services and networking opportunities

 

Beyond that, TAKE THE CLASSES SERIOUSLY. I've heard a lot of people say that as long as you pass, no one cares about the grades and that networking is the only thing that matters. Networking is important, but if you're going to pay $100K for an education, you should GET an education.

 

You shoud also think about whether finishing the CFA is a better idea. I'm not sure how it works in Finance, but I know that in some fields the masters degree doesn't mean much. The certification is what opens doors.

 

 

lol....You must have really fudged the applications to be rejected with a 750 GMAT.

post #17 of 29

its a lot of time, and money. work experience is usually better

post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish485 View Post

its a lot of time, and money. work experience is usually better.

...depends on what type of work experience you have, where you went to undergrad., what your career plans are, whether there's a professional certification, etc.

post #19 of 29
I work for myself. I can tell you that when starting up, having that piece of paper from a top Uni helps a great deal, drones like the paper.

When applying for a company, the first thing that should be on your resume is your experience, the last is your education. If you were applying with me, I want to know that you have been successful accomplishing your objectives, and that you'll be productive, that piece of paper just says that you can quote a text book.

I used to do firearms instruction for shits and giggles a few years ago. I would have guys show up with top notch gear, be able to figure ballistic calculations in a snap, but they couldn't hit a man size target 25 feet from them...but hay, they could rattle off useless facts about any weapon at the range in a matter of fact way.

Proof comes from performance, not paper.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo2501 View Post

I work for myself. I can tell you that when starting up, having that piece of paper from a top Uni helps a great deal, drones like the paper.

When applying for a company, the first thing that should be on your resume is your experience, the last is your education. If you were applying with me, I want to know that you have been successful accomplishing your objectives, and that you'll be productive, that piece of paper just says that you can quote a text book.

I used to do firearms instruction for shits and giggles a few years ago. I would have guys show up with top notch gear, be able to figure ballistic calculations in a snap, but they couldn't hit a man size target 25 feet from them...but hay, they could rattle off useless facts about any weapon at the range in a matter of fact way.

Proof comes from performance, not paper.

I lol'ed at this, and I agree with your point, but in the real world, people care a lot about the piece of paper. You can be one of the most supremely self-educated people on the planet, but if you don't have at least a bachelor's degree, a lot of recruiters/managers won't give you a chance.

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post

If you want to start your own business, do it. If you do, no one will care where you went to school, what your degree was, or how you did on the GMAT. If you don't have/want a life, start a business, because it will be your life. If you want stuff like "friends" and "free time" then don't start your own business. I haven't had a day off in years, and the only person I ever talk to is my wife. You'll likely make a whole lot less (cash) because you'll be building your business. So prepare for a massive short-term pay cut if you go that route. 

If you just want show up and get a check, stick to your current plan. Get an MBA and get a cushy 9-5 job. 

Very good advise.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

And you may actually learn something useful....

 

From bschool? Possibly.

It really teaches you how to be something far more than how to do anything.

post #23 of 29
This is an older topic but I thought I would add my two cents. I am the Director of Sales for the. SE USA, the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Mexico and South America for one of the largest healthcare companies in the world. I do not have an MBA, but I believe not having it has kept my resume from being considered for jobs that I should have been a no brainer for. My resume quite honestly is pretty hard to beat, and yet 5 months ago when I left my VP job, there were some jobs that didn't even give me a look.

Could I get my MBA? Yes. But my background and history should stand on its own.

If I was starting out just out of school, I would probably give it more consideration. Then again success opens many doors.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

This is an older topic but I thought I would add my two cents. I am the Director of Sales for the. SE USA, the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Mexico and South America for one of the largest healthcare companies in the world. I do not have an MBA, but I believe not having it has kept my resume from being considered for jobs that I should have been a no brainer for. My resume quite honestly is pretty hard to beat, and yet 5 months ago when I left my VP job, there were some jobs that didn't even give me a look.

Could I get my MBA? Yes. But my background and history should stand on its own.

If I was starting out just out of school, I would probably give it more consideration. Then again success opens many doors.

...could...should...would...You just said that it DOESN'T stand on it's own, so maybe you should get off of your idealistic high-horse. A MBA's definitely not right for most people, but if you need one to get to where you want to be, then you need one. You're not getting any younger, and it's going to suck if you hit a ceiling before you can get to where you want to be.

post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

...could...should...would...You just said that it DOESN'T stand on it's own, so maybe you should get off of your idealistic high-horse. A MBA's definitely not right for most people, but if you need one to get to where you want to be, then you need one. You're not getting any younger, and it's going to suck if you hit a ceiling before you can get to where you want to be.

"idealistic high-horse?"

Vinny...Vinny...Vinny do you really want to go down this path?

My point was that not having an MBA may have caused potential employers to overlook my resume. My point that you may have missed was that my resume should have been strong enough to get the interview.

End of the day I landed the job I wanted.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLION View Post

This is an older topic but I thought I would add my two cents. I am the Director of Sales for the. SE USA, the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Mexico and South America for one of the largest healthcare companies in the world. I do not have an MBA, but I believe not having it has kept my resume from being considered for jobs that I should have been a no brainer for. My resume quite honestly is pretty hard to beat, and yet 5 months ago when I left my VP job, there were some jobs that didn't even give me a look.

Could I get my MBA? Yes. But my background and history should stand on its own.

If I was starting out just out of school, I would probably give it more consideration. Then again success opens many doors.

Sounds like you might be a candidate for one of those "Executive MBA" programs if you can get your company to pay for it (since they price them much higher than the regular part time MBA)
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Sounds like you might be a candidate for one of those "Executive MBA" programs if you can get your company to pay for it (since they price them much higher than the regular part time MBA)

If the company likes you and believe you have potential they will but usually they do not.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

...could...should...would...You just said that it DOESN'T stand on it's own, so maybe you should get off of your idealistic high-horse. A MBA's definitely not right for most people, but if you need one to get to where you want to be, then you need one. You're not getting any younger, and it's going to suck if you hit a ceiling before you can get to where you want to be.

A little late, but why so butt hurt?
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
 

If you want to start your own business, do it. If you do, no one will care where you went to school, what your degree was, or how you did on the GMAT. If you don't have/want a life, start a business, because it will be your life. If you want stuff like "friends" and "free time" then don't start your own business. I haven't had a day off in years, and the only person I ever talk to is my wife. You'll likely make a whole lot less (cash) because you'll be building your business. So prepare for a massive short-term pay cut if you go that route. 

 

If you just want show up and get a check, stick to your current plan. Get an MBA and get a cushy 9-5 job. 

This is very true... owning your own business(businesses) is a different lifestyle than that "stable" cushy 9-5 job ha. However, entrepreneurs live the life most people won't so they can spend the rest of their life that most people can only dream about.

 

Here's my 2 cents if you should get an MBA or own your own business...

little background about me is that I'm a young entrepreneur and I also work part-time at a well-known commercial bank in Silicon Valley.

 

MBA FOR DUMMIES

This is a hot topic by the interns and fresh out of mba/undergrads at the bank. 

One time I witnessed a heated discussion between interns, current bank associate (undergrad completed), and a VCRM (venture capital relationship managerment) director.

 

The interns and bank associate discussed possible B-schools to go to and asked the VCRM director: "Is it worth it?" "What about if we start our own firm?"

I think if memory serves about right... he said, "If you want to get promoted and work under someone then yeah go for it. If you want to have your own firm, not necessarily... won't hurt though."

 

Summary: If getting your MBA equates to a promotion that you want, then go for it. 

 

YOU'RE THE BOSS

If you want to set up your own firm, then it's not entirely necessary to get an MBA. 

 

As someone else noted about Silicon Valley, it's true that most successful entrepreneurs don't have a graduate degree (or degree). I know several successful entrepreneurs in different industries.... one's about to IPO soon ha. That said, the guy hasn't had a Friday off in 5 years... probably 7 years because that was 2 years ago when I talked to him.

 

One of the best life advices I received was from an Italian menswear business owner... "Don't get caught up in these benefits or salary, unless they're offering you a million dollars, say no! Be your own boss first!"  

 

So if you're not committed 100% PLUS the extra 10% then watch out... the ones that are will take your business, your paycheck, and own up to being a boss. If you're gonna half-ass it, you're gonna get half-ass results.

 

Wanna be a better boss? Better business owner? Better get at it... practice makes perfect. 

 

However, not all businesses succeed-- such is the gamble you take! :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Should I Go For An MBA?