or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND FIRE]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY,... - Page 34

post #496 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hws View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymil View Post

I'm very hairy, rather like Sean Connery. I'm saddened that I will never wear voile. But at least I can wear this:


[/quote


This picture is similar of to rock out with cock out! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


Could not have said it better my friend!!
post #497 of 1166
Tonight before ironing I figured I would snap a few pics of my OneShirt. It is Acorn's Cambridge fabric. They call it a summer pinpoint, but I find it perfect for all situations. It is a 3/80 x 3/80 weave, which essentially makes it very durable. Here are a few close up shots so you can see how open the weave is. When it is on it doesn't seem transparent at all, but when up close and held up to the light it is similar to the light high twist fresco. This is essentially a fresco cotton. Wearing fresco in the summer with this shirting I can't imagine one can be any cooler. As a sweaty guinea I like this stuff year round because, well, I am always warm. The downside to this shirting is it isn't very cheap. Also, due to the open weave this shirting does shrink a good amount. Here are the shots, albeit pre-ironing:

3621C296-D4A0-4FBE-87AF-B48B6C0D879A-9878-00000686FD8A5DED_zps2235a302.jpg
9D16ADB7-ECDF-4A14-8A15-99E63276FDCB-9878-0000068703102EBC_zpsb58fd86c.jpg
D0EBBCD9-7D20-4854-9858-08E3F1A2593E-9878-00000687081E8CAF_zpsd2ee79b4.jpg
F50D0DB7-C6D5-47E7-8CDF-31B96D6AD7A0-9939-0000068AEABE60FA_zpsc14e6d15.jpg
post #498 of 1166
Are those white weft yarns in the first photo? If so, I think we may have found another species of chambray - one that can be carefully extracted from pinpoint if cut carefully.
post #499 of 1166
Both warp and weft are white, so technically not chambray, or end on end. Just good ole' white shirt.
post #500 of 1166
This thread has gone off the clothing nerd deepend....
post #501 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Tonight before ironing I figured I would snap a few pics of my OneShirt. It is Acorn's Cambridge fabric. They call it a summer pinpoint, but I find it perfect for all situations. It is a 3/80 x 3/80 weave, which essentially makes it very durable. Here are a few close up shots so you can see how open the weave is. When it is on it doesn't seem transparent at all, but when up close and held up to the light it is similar to the light high twist fresco. This is essentially a fresco cotton. Wearing fresco in the summer with this shirting I can't imagine one can be any cooler. As a sweaty guinea I like this stuff year round because, well, I am always warm. The downside to this shirting is it isn't very cheap. Also, due to the open weave this shirting does shrink a good amount. Here are the shots, albeit pre-ironing

i have something similiar that I also think of a "fresco" given its very open weave.

anyone know the actual name?

post #502 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Nah, I like it myself. My OCBDs are all without plackets. But I'd be willing to suffer them on an OCBD.

Plackets are a bitch to iron. Most of shirts (Barba and Mastai) don't have them.

Foo, have you tried Kamakura yet? May get some shirts from them in the near future
post #503 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Nah, I like it myself. My OCBDs are all without plackets. But I'd be willing to suffer them on an OCBD.

Plackets are a bitch to iron. Most of shirts (Barba and Mastai) don't have them.

Foo, have you tried Kamakura yet? May get some shirts from them in the near future

 

How are plackets a bitch to iron? put pressure on the pointy tip of your iron and gently run down the placket. Tada! Finished.

 

I find cuffs with too short gauntlets more of a bitch to iron when you can't lay them flat entirely. But still it's not really rocket science.

 

...And I should know.

 

post #504 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

This thread has gone off the clothing nerd deepend....

He's right you know...
post #505 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

What is wrong with you people?? I specifically said, the thickness of the stripe varies especially in the white stripes but also in the pink stripes BUT MOSTLY IN THE WHITE STRIPES. So why are you asking me if the change in thickness is across both the pink and the white threads or only in one of the two? Obviously, it is in both, but more in one than in the other. I already explained that, and I don't see how I could be any clearer. I don't know what the point of writing all this is if people aren't going to read it and then just come on and argue anyway.
This, among other reasons, is why I love dopey.

And Ed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I read it carefully and I love the White Stripes (but not so much with Jack White's solo stuff).
post #506 of 1166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

This, among other reasons, is why I love dopey.

And Ed:

For derailing a useful technical discussion that others were enjoying?
post #507 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

How are plackets a bitch to iron? put pressure on the pointy tip of your iron and gently run down the placket. Tada! Finished.

I find cuffs with too short gauntlets more of a bitch to iron when you can't lay them flat entirely. But still it's not really rocket science.

...And I should know.

I met a guy who was at NASA before going to med school and went into neurosurgery. He is the only guy I know who is both a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist.
post #508 of 1166
Once, I had a dream that a hamburger was eating ME!
post #509 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

For derailing a useful technical discussion that others were enjoying?
No. Don't get me wrong. I love you and I love the thread. But loving something doesn't mean thinking it's perfect (contrary to the Twilight series).
I just thought it poked fun at some of your rough edges in friendly way. Maybe I was wrong.
post #510 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

How are plackets a bitch to iron? put pressure on the pointy tip of your iron and gently run down the placket. Tada! Finished.

I find cuffs with too short gauntlets more of a bitch to iron when you can't lay them flat entirely. But still it's not really rocket science.

Adds a few seconds on to the process if you want to get the placket perfectly flat. I have little patience for ironing.

Also, the french placket looks better
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND FIRE]