or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND FIRE]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY,... - Page 77

post #1141 of 1166
Commemorative pocket squares?

The edges will be edges charred.
post #1142 of 1166
For anyone interested, Kamakura now has the button down I posted earlier available for purchase on the US site

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_514.html

goods_514_1.jpg
post #1143 of 1166
It's too dark and looks to be work-shirt quality.
post #1144 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

It's too dark and looks to be work-shirt quality.

I don't know what you mean by "workshirt quality," but Kamakura's are very well made, though not hand stitched.

If you are talking about the fabric formality, than yes, it is more casual than the one in the OP.

I liked this fit pic they have, sans bowtie

coad1.jpg
post #1145 of 1166

Have we found out where to get a bloody chambray after all this?

post #1146 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

It's too dark and looks to be work-shirt quality.

Ordered one. Will let you all know how it looks in person once it arrives.
post #1147 of 1166

Wearing my SG chambray shirt today. Looks great!

post #1148 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

Wearing my SG chambray shirt today. Looks great!

Which version?
post #1149 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post


Which version?

 

Super deluxe polycotton?

post #1150 of 1166
PolyDeLuxe SuperCoton
post #1151 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

Wait - so how many chambrays (not voiles) did Will sell? I thought there was only one...

At any rate, mine has poly but I'm 99% sure was described as 100% cotton.

Will represents the chambray to be 100% cotton. He also represented it to be spun on old looms although that representation has been now removed from his website. From all of the information that I have gathered, none of the fabric sold by Will was spun on the old looms as they would be 90cms wide rather than 150cms. Although Will insists that the chambray is 100% cotton, I think that the bulk of the evidence suggests otherwise.

As for the voile, I would not be too concerned. While not spun on old looms, I don't think that anyone has argued that they contain polyester. In fact, the European distributor -- forgot his name -- who received the admission from SG that all of the chambray contained polyester, still sells the voile and concluded that the voile does not contain the polyester.
post #1152 of 1166
I did the burn test on my SG chambray and it was 100% cotton.

Discuss.
post #1153 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post


Will represents the chambray to be 100% cotton. He also represented it to be spun on old looms although that representation has been now removed from his website. From all of the information that I have gathered, none of the fabric sold by Will was spun on the old looms as they would be 90cms wide rather than 150cms. Although Will insists that the chambray is 100% cotton, I think that the bulk of the evidence suggests otherwise.

As for the voile, I would not be too concerned. While not spun on old looms, I don't think that anyone has argued that they contain polyester. In fact, the European distributor -- forgot his name -- who received the admission from SG that all of the chambray contained polyester, still sells the voile and concluded that the voile does not contain the polyester.

 

 

Did he really say 'spun' on old looms?  Nothing is spun on a loom, yarn is woven into cloth on it. Yarn is spun on a spinning frame as you can see here http://www.albinigroup.com/en/education/fabrics-life/spinning  

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric View Post

I did the burn test on my SG chambray and it was 100% cotton.

Discuss.

 

Oh no you don't not bloody again!!

post #1154 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactire View Post


Did he really say 'spun' on old looms?  Nothing is spun on a loom, yarn is woven into cloth on it. Yarn is spun on a spinning frame as you can see here http://www.albinigroup.com/en/education/fabrics-life/spinning  

I don't recall the exact terminology that appeared on Will's site: spun or woven. For the sake of accuracy, how about if I amend my statement to say that the site represented that the chambray was "made" on the old looms.
post #1155 of 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post


I don't recall the exact terminology that appeared on Will's site: spun or woven. For the sake of accuracy, how about if I amend my statement to say that the site represented that the chambray was "made" on the old looms.

 

Beg pardon, my intent was not to be a berk but to poke fun at what I perceive to be the fluff and nonsense around the SG chambray.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND FIRE]