or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black Leather Strap Watch Recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black Leather Strap Watch Recommendations

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hello all,

 

I am looking to purchase a black leather strap watch, as the title suggests, with a budget of $500.  Thus far, I have been drawn to this Tissot, but am looking for other recommendations:

 

 http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T-Classic-Locle-Watch-T41-1-423-33/dp/B000JKSS8M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=29LSE0HIZLKYV&coliid=IT1O9W36TFQHX

 

Will be worn for work in a traditional, professional environment.

 

Many thanks.

post #2 of 14
I believe that's a little like saying you're looking to buy a blue car. Watches aren't defined by the color of the strap they come with.

Do you want a round face, square face, tank watch, automata tic, no complications, lots of complications...?
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Fair enough. Looking for a classic looking watch, round face, white face, minimal features needed. Preferably thin. not sure my limit on size in terms of crown size. Something similar in appearance to the Tissot I suggested, but wondering what else SF might recommend. Thanks!

PS. I want the watch to wear with dark suits and slacks, hence my desire for a black leather strap. I prefer leather to metal bracelets.
post #4 of 14
Hamilton makes a quintessential one, but you would have to buy a strap separate (or they may even throw one in free if you buy from an AD).

Hamilton H32665131

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H32665131-Jazzmaster-Black-Watch/dp/B005GXPMP4

or

http://www.luxuryofwatches.com/hamilton-classic-jazzmaster-day-date-40mm-mens-h32505731/?gclid=CNKf48ixirYCFShgMgodZCoATA

Comes on strap, but added day date.

I purchased the former for a friend with matching strap, looks so good.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

Hamilton makes a quintessential one, but you would have to buy a strap separate (or they may even throw one in free if you buy from an AD).

Hamilton H32665131

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H32665131-Jazzmaster-Black-Watch/dp/B005GXPMP4

or

http://www.luxuryofwatches.com/hamilton-classic-jazzmaster-day-date-40mm-mens-h32505731/?gclid=CNKf48ixirYCFShgMgodZCoATA

Comes on strap, but added day date.

I purchased the former for a friend with matching strap, looks so good.

Thanks- can anyone speak to the quality of a Tissot versus others watches that can be had in that price range (perhaps vs. a Hamilton, for e.g.)?

post #6 of 14

Hamilton as a brand ranks higher than Tissot, though for specific models it may arguably be a push.  From Tissot, I much prefer the Visodate with it's classic '50's style to the model you had posted.

 

Find a watch you like first and worry about the strap after.  Unless the watch has some freakish lug design, you'll be able to swap the strap out for little cost.  Frankly, it wouldn't be a bad thing at all to have two nice straps that can give the watch slightly different looks, maximizing the versatility.

post #7 of 14
post #8 of 14

Buy this Tissot, $170 and I think almost as classic as a Patek Phillipe Calatrava nailhead that goes $20k. I own and wear it, and get many compliments- whether in jeans or $1000 Burberry or Brooks Brothers suit...

 

 

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Looking to pull the trigger soon. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!
post #10 of 14
I've heard good things about Christopher Ward watches. Here's one you might like

http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/dress/c5swk-mk2.html
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxisfalcon View Post

I've heard good things about Christopher Ward watches. Here's one you might like

http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/dress/c5swk-mk2.html

Wow, this is exactly the look I'm after. Anyone have any experience with this brand? It looks similar to the first mentioned Tissot, in which case I'd like go with the Tissot because I know the brand. Thoughts? Thanks all!


Edited by marmot8 - 4/12/13 at 1:53pm
post #12 of 14
Christopher Ward gets good reviews, it is a bit of a cult brand with watch enthusiasts. Technically it is probably equal to the Tissot.

If it were me I would go with Tissot as it is a nice "gateway" watch to get you hooked into the Swatch family. Then we get you into it's bigger brother Longines, then to head of the family with GO, Omega, Breguet etc.
post #13 of 14
Some people disdain Chinese made watches, but I really love my BeIHai model from BeiJing Watch Company.






More information and pictures here:

http://www.good-stuffs.com/Beijing-Beihai-limited-edition-SB18-manual-hand-winding-mechanical-wach_p_73.html
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony View Post

Christopher Ward gets good reviews, it is a bit of a cult brand with watch enthusiasts. Technically it is probably equal to the Tissot.

If it were me I would go with Tissot as it is a nice "gateway" watch to get you hooked into the Swatch family. Then we get you into it's bigger brother Longines, then to head of the family with GO, Omega, Breguet etc.

Kind of what I was thinking...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black Leather Strap Watch Recommendations