or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White Ressentiment, the Poster Child - Page 29

post #421 of 440
That's complete fucking garbage. 54% of seven is still less than ten.
post #422 of 440

I'm talking about a different study that compares graduation rates for STEM interested minorities at Berkeley vs. UCR over three years in the 90s, the numbers are 13% vs. 20%. Both are abysmal, but the paper shows that better matched students in the lower quartiles at top schools, most of whom benefited from AA, would do better if they attended a lower ranked UC campus.

 

The appendix of that study showed they counted all STEM majors, many of which are surely no more difficult than social sciences. The Duke study had access to GPA which they used to create a separate category of tougher STEM majors plus economics. I don't know how this difference would skew the results, but according to:

 

http://legacy-its.ucop.edu/uwnews/stat/statsum/fall2013/statsumm2013.pdf

 

most STEM majors at Berkeley are engineers while there are almost 3x more biology/psychology students than engr students at Riverside. I know bio programs vary in rigorousness, but it's possible that some of the minorities switched out not because they couldn't keep up.

 

Given that students who switch majors do so within their first two years, my point is just that while engineering programs at elite schools are more difficult, it seems unlikely for those who can't handle intro material to complete a degree in the same field at a lower, but not significantly lower ranked program. In CEE the basic curriculum is the same everywhere down to the labs. And when graded on a curve, the ones who end up on the far left in significantly easier classes relative to their majors are basically morons who never learned to add and subtract in high school, and would have no chance of graduating.

 

On grading methods, and again, from anecdotal evidence, some intro classes are graded on fixed scales rather than curves. This is probably better for new students as learning what they're supposed to is more important than failing a little less hard.

post #423 of 440
No one is reading that shit.
post #424 of 440
Birdman you fucking retard. The glue-sniffing teens on 4chan have longer attention spans.
post #425 of 440
Are you claiming you read that? Bullshit.
post #426 of 440
Black biology grad of University of Texas here, what do i win?
post #427 of 440
Thread Starter 
free genetic background check courtesy of pennglock

all he needs is a snapshot of your face and he can tell you all about your ancestral history. he's that good
post #428 of 440

I'm late to this but the people advertising their 99th percentile SATs should know that 99% ranges from 1490ish to 1600 on the old test and 2200 to 2400 on the new one. There are kids from China/Korea who would consider jim jonesing if they got a score on the lower end. In my experience, the SATs merely test for your high school math education and whether or not your parents made you memorize vocab in your spare time, neither of which are indicative of intelligence or useful unless you plan on taking the English lit or math GRE. Also, STEM majors are overrated, there are too many mechanicals engrs and the potentially lucrative fields like BME have not caught up so all the undergrads need masters to find a job. It also makes you dumber as you won't have time to learn anything besides technical knowledge and how to write boring, technical prose.

post #429 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

I'm late to this but the people advertising their 99th percentile SATs should know that 99% ranges from 1490ish to 1600 on the old test and 2200 to 2400 on the new one. There are kids from China/Korea who would consider jim jonesing if they got a score on the lower end. In my experience, the SATs merely test for your high school math education and whether or not your parents made you memorize vocab in your spare time, neither of which are indicative of intelligence or useful unless you plan on taking the English lit or math GRE. Also, STEM majors are overrated, there are too many mechanicals engrs and the potentially lucrative fields like BME have not caught up so all the undergrads need masters to find a job. It also makes you dumber as you won't have time to learn anything besides technical knowledge and how to write boring, technical prose.

So how well you learned math in high school has no tie to IQ. Interesting concept.
post #430 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


So how well you learned math in high school has no tie to IQ. Interesting concept.

I didn't say that... but I've never believed in IQ or G factors as there are borderline retarded asian kids in my classes who can do calculus while Greenwich/Stamford parented white kids can't. I'll just say that the only things you need to graduate with a STEM degree is a strong math background and a good work ethic. And you have to give up all of your humanities related interests.

post #431 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

I didn't say that... but I've never believed in IQ or G factors as there are borderline retarded asian kids in my classes who can do calculus while Greenwich/Stamford parented white kids can't. I'll just say that the only things you need to graduate with a STEM degree is a strong math background and a good work ethic. And you have to give up all of your humanities related interests.

Yes you did. " ...the SATs merely test for your high school math education and whether or not your parents made you memorize vocab in your spare time, neither of which are indicative of intelligence..."
post #432 of 440

so you believe the SATs test your IQ? And what does IQ project as in the job market?

post #433 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

so you believe the SATs test your IQ? And what does IQ project as in the job market?

I didn't say that.

But you did say what you said.
post #434 of 440

ok, so you believe how well someone learned math in high school has to do with IQ? What about the all the Chinese international students who were waterboarded with calculus since elementary school, came over to the US and took over the EE and CSE programs at every decent engineering school so they could have a better chance at the immigration lottery? Are they naturally smarter? I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

 

edit: links: http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-so-many-chinese-students-come-to-the-u-s-1462123552

http://www.wsj.com/articles/heavy-recruitment-of-chinese-students-sows-discord-on-u-s-campuses-1458224413

post #435 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

I didn't say that... but I've never believed in IQ or G factors as there are borderline retarded asian kids in my classes who can do calculus while Greenwich/Stamford parented white kids can't. I'll just say that the only things you need to graduate with a STEM degree is a strong math background and a good work ethic. And you have to give up all of your humanities related interests.

Can confirm. Also, ability to memorize.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child