or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White Ressentiment, the Poster Child - Page 25

post #361 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

Well shit, I should have studied harder I could have gone to Princeton for basically free. Instead my dad talked me out of going to Boston College because it was too expensive. I went to Texas instead.

Well, at this point in your life what do you think? Was your Dad right or do you think things would have been better if you went to Boston? I realize you can't know for certain but what is your suspicion?
post #362 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaimen View Post

Well, at this point in your life what do you think? Was your Dad right or do you think things would have been better if you went to Boston? I realize you can't know for certain but what is your suspicion?

I probably would be in the same career making the same money but would have had a lot more debt coming out of college. So yes, he was right.
post #363 of 440
Someone said it earlier: Texas is good for, Texas.
post #364 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats View Post

Someone said it earlier: Texas is good for, Texas.

I said that. I and also included Texas A & M.

If you are a Texas resident and stay here to go to college and work, then schools like that are fine and will have outsized importance.

But, aren't many states like that? I bet a Pepperdine degree is great for a California career and not as much for an East Coast career ( just happened to think of Pepperdine ). Berkeley might be a better example. Or maybe Temple in Pennsylvania. I bet many can think of schools that have a much greater cost/value ratio in their own state than they would out of state.

AAMOF I think that it would be a great idea for students today to think of that when they consider going out of state to school ( and spending/loaning more money). Yes, Princeton will probably pay off wherever you're from and wherever you'll settle down. UT not as much.
post #365 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant View Post

Sarcastic yes, but I know a lot of upper income professionals who are constantly trying to enroll their kids into the best schools, best extracurricular activities, all while trying to save for college, etc. Sure these families make more than the statistical average, but their lives aren't appreciably "more luxurious".

That's only true if you're using a very narrow definition of "luxury". I spend a ridiculous amount of my income on private school tuition, dance lessons, summer camp, college savings, etc. It's a stretch at times, despite my above-average income, and I could definitely buy a lot of fancy livin' with all that cash. But those are choices I make. I could send my daughter to public school, skip the fancy-ass dance lessons, ship her to grandma's for the summer on Greyhound, and leave it to her to figure out how to pay for college, but I prefer not to. The fact that I get to choose whether to spend my money there or on a fancier car, more lavish vacations, a beach house, or whatever, is definitely a luxury. The fact that people live beyond their means -- or at the very edge of their means - doesn't establish that they have it hard just as hard as people whose means are far more limited.
post #366 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

That's only true if you're using a very narrow definition of "luxury". I spend a ridiculous amount of my income on private school tuition, dance lessons, summer camp, college savings, etc. It's a stretch at times, despite my above-average income, and I could definitely buy a lot of fancy livin' with all that cash. But those are choices I make. I could send my daughter to public school, skip the fancy-ass dance lessons, ship her to grandma's for the summer on Greyhound, and leave it to her to figure out how to pay for college, but I prefer not to. The fact that I get to choose whether to spend my money there or on a fancier car, more lavish vacations, a beach house, or whatever, is definitely a luxury. The fact that people live beyond their means -- or at the very edge of their means - doesn't establish that they have it hard just as hard as people whose means are far more limited.
Keepin' it real on the topic of high-income-wage-slaves or upper-middles.
post #367 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

That's only true if you're using a very narrow definition of "luxury". I spend a ridiculous amount of my income on private school tuition, dance lessons, summer camp, college savings, etc. It's a stretch at times, despite my above-average income, and I could definitely buy a lot of fancy livin' with all that cash. But those are choices I make. I could send my daughter to public school, skip the fancy-ass dance lessons, ship her to grandma's for the summer on Greyhound, and leave it to her to figure out how to pay for college, but I prefer not to. The fact that I get to choose whether to spend my money there or on a fancier car, more lavish vacations, a beach house, or whatever, is definitely a luxury. The fact that people live beyond their means -- or at the very edge of their means - doesn't establish that they have it hard just as hard as people whose means are far more limited.

While I agree with you that the HIWS has some choices that those of more limited means have I believe that point was that the HIWS is put into a position to make this choice whereas the financial aid packages for those of more modest means removes the need i.e. those of the most modest means the child can garner a full ride. I am not disputing that the HIWS leads a life full of more choices, more luxuries, etc., just pointing out that the concept the average HIWS cannot "have it all" is very valid and that the Ivies and similar have indeed created a system whereby the financial stress of sending kids to their schools might actually be greater on the HIWS than on those of more modest means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats View Post

Keepin' it real on the topic of high-income-wage-slaves or upper-middles.

rolleyes.gif
post #368 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

While I agree with you that the HIWS has some choices that those of more limited means have I believe that point was that the HIWS is put into a position to make this choice whereas the financial aid packages for those of more modest means removes the need i.e. those of the most modest means the child can garner a full ride. I am not disputing that the HIWS leads a life full of more choices, more luxuries, etc., just pointing out that the concept the average HIWS cannot "have it all" is very valid and that the Ivies and similar have indeed created a system whereby the financial stress of sending kids to their schools might actually be greater on the HIWS than on those of more modest means.
rolleyes.gif

Fair point, but I think a lot of the stress comes from the sense of entitlement/expectation on the part of HIWS that their kids' manifest destiny is to attend an Ivy or other "good" college.
post #369 of 440
Oh god, yet another thread where upper middle class assholes complain about how hard they have it and how unjust it is. I guess conservative rich white dudes are the biggest and most self-centered whiners the world has ever known.
post #370 of 440
I think most of us are just tired of funding the poor decisions and lifestyles of the entitlement class, and continuously being told we don't contribute our fair share.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Oh god, yet another thread where upper middle class assholes complain about how hard they have it and how unjust it is. I guess conservative rich white dudes are the biggest and most self-centered whiners the world has ever known.
post #371 of 440
lol
post #372 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Oh god, yet another thread where upper middle class assholes complain about how hard they have it and how unjust it is. I guess conservative rich white dudes are the biggest and most self-centered whiners the world has ever known.

Wow, you nailed this thread!

Oh, wait....
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant View Post

Funny as hell. Try raising an Asian kid in the NYC or SF Metro. Much worse then being a white kid from the midwest with respect to chances of entry into top tier schools.

With regards to financial aide, once again the upper middle class are screwed. My friends make decent income, drive Toyotas/Hondas/Hyundais, live pretty conservatively, but don't get a dime of financial aide because they make around the mythical Obama cutoff for rich people.

You've jumped the shark.
post #373 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Wow, you nailed this thread!

I nailed the CE as it currently operates, it really is more interesting when we discuss geopolitics than all these "gov's gonna tax me bro, waaaaahObangye", I mean taking a more universal and relatively impersonal stance makes for better discussions, I think and we're all able to do that. In other words, apart from a few nutjobs, I'm pretty sure everyone here can and has discussed tax policy or whatever without making it about their poor yuppie self. Hell even artisanfan used to make threads about "job creation" or whatever and didn't always have to put himself forward, he just said "taxes are bad cause they stop job creation" or whatever.
post #374 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

I nailed the CE as it currently operates, it really is more interesting when we discuss geopolitics than all these "gov's gonna tax me bro, waaaaahObangye", I mean taking a more universal and relatively impersonal stance makes for better discussions, I think and we're all able to do that. In other words, apart from a few nutjobs, I'm pretty sure everyone here can and has discussed tax policy or whatever without making it about their poor yuppie self. Hell even artisanfan used to make threads about "job creation" or whatever and didn't always have to put himself forward, he just said "taxes are bad cause they stop job creation" or whatever.

Pretty good goal post shift off the "conservative rich whites dudes" when it was pointed out there are non-white, non-conservative people being impacted here, and as far as taking an impersonal stance, a few of us discussing this do not have nor will ever have kids...
post #375 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Oh god, yet another thread where upper middle class assholes complain about how hard they have it and how unjust it is. I guess conservative rich white dudes are the biggest and most self-centered whiners the world has ever known.

Why do they always have to be white? Why can't an African American business owner or Latino lawyer get upset over poor government policy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child