or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White Ressentiment, the Poster Child - Page 15

post #211 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

Foo came into my thread and peed the rug.
Well this thread was already one big puddle. Also, that is heightist.
post #212 of 440
Muslim clients paid about 75% of the money I made this month, so they are currently my favorite "race" that is totally not a race.
post #213 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh View Post

Foo, isn't it a bad idea to group all Asian Americans?

Though I obviously see that you say "many Asian Americans", and I think I understand the meaning and context of your post.

The reason I bring this up is because I have a good friend here in Houston who is Vietnamese. He is an MD and has done very well as have many Vietnamese second and third generation here in Houston. I know him well enough to engage in some pretty good satire ( which many times is not satire ). I have told him, "you must be prejudiced against us lazy spoiled white folks". He laughs and says "yeah, probably true but you must remember I was raised that way".

So, I asked him if he feels differently about Chinese people or Japanese. He surprised me by saying, that yeah "we" ( he and his Vietnamese family ) are just as prejudiced against Chinese and Japanese people as American people. He said that just because they are from Asia, don't assume that "all slants are the same" these words are his words verbatim and said semi-jokingly ( but seriously ) by him. I think I see where he is coming from. What do you think of this and when you say "many Asian Americans", would you group Chinese, Vietnamese and Japanese people in any way?

BTW: The Vietnamese MD friend that I know is a great guy, very successful, and has a great sense of humor. He was born there but came to the US with his "boat people" parents in the 1970s.

Totally accurate. Chinese Americans have a thing against Korean Americans, and vice versa. Japanese Americans don't really get mentioned since there are barely any to mention. The aforementioned East Asian Americans tend to look down on Southeast Asian Americans. Understand, of course, these are more generalizations. As a specific example off the top of my head, my best friend is Korean American, and his parents refuse to be in the same room as his Chinese American girlfriend. They have never met her and will not acknowledge the relationship. They've been together for seven years. All because she is Chinese--not the right sort of Asian.

However, I have heard all of the above (Chinese and Korean Americans being the ones I grew up with) scowl at the laziness and stupidity of white people. You don't even want to know what they think of blacks. Hispanics, for whatever reason, never really seemed to get mentioned when I was growing up. Maybe everyone confused them for being a different sort of black.
post #214 of 440
Foo, what sort of push back, if any, did you get from family/Chinese friends from marrying a haole?
post #215 of 440
All this thread proves is that multi-culti is a deranged, sick dream.
post #216 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Foo, what sort of push back, if any, did you get from family/Chinese friends from marrying a haole?

None. My family happens to be much more assimilated and enlightened (ha, there's that word) about these things. They were only concerned that she could eat with us.

I did get some weird attitude from white friends that is painful to discuss.
post #217 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

None. My family happens to be much more assimilated and enlightened (ha, there's that word) about these things. They were only concerned that she could eat with us.

That's cool. We've been lucky with both families too...although Mrs. Piob's parents are that ultimate rarity: he's Chinese she's Japanese.
post #218 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

All this thread proves is that multi-culti is a deranged, sick dream.



Nah. Quite the opposite in fact (at least for America)
post #219 of 440
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

my best friend is Korean American, and his parents refuse to be in the same room as his Chinese American girlfriend. They have never met her and will not acknowledge the relationship. They've been together for seven years.

Child's play. White girlfriend, eight years.
post #220 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

That's cool. We've been lucky with both families too...although Mrs. Piob's parents are that ultimate rarity: he's Chinese she's Japanese.

I think my parents changed over my lifetime, though. I seem to recall they were less open about this stuff when my brother and sister were dating. They dated almost exclusively white people until they married their Chinese American spouses, and I remember my parents constantly cajoling them to find someone Chinese instead. Yet, I think it had less to do with hard racism and stemmed more from a fear of cultural incompatibility.

Over the past five, ten years it seems like white-Asian couples have become much more mainstream. You see them in television commercials all the time. I bet a lot of such cultural fears have withered away as a result.
post #221 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I'm not racist. I was explaining that many Asian Americans grow up that way.

Speaking of being racist, when you refer to "our education system," who is "our" referring to? This is ugly stuff, folks.

I know! You even have a white friend! (I know, you married a white girl)

"Our" in this case is the Anglo-Saxon tradition; enlightenment ideals, some cultural osmosis, and Greek Democratic (Platonic) roots.

Or just plain Whitey if you prefer.
post #222 of 440
I think he was chafing at the air of entitlement that is floating around this thread.
post #223 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Or the problem is that I didn't go to one of my "own" schools. I mean, I went to an Ivy League school, but apparently it would be more "mine" if I were some random white guy on the internet who never set foot there.

Seriously, did nobody else catch that tidbit in NorCal's comment? It's pretty repugnant and only reinforces what I'm saying about white racism masking itself as enlightened compassion for minorities.

How do you know I never sent foot at Brown? Truth is I never did, but only because all the dumb guys in my class went there.

Seriously though, when speaking in terms of racial generalities, Brown and all the other Ivies do belong to "my" cultural tradition. That's just history.

Honestly, I have no idea how many Asian Americans like yourself have to go through Brown before it is no longer an Anglo cultural tradition. It's a good question though. How long before I can call Confucianism my cultural tradition? Four years at a school in China? (Not a rhetorical question by the way).
post #224 of 440
This raises a good question. At what point does "Chinese food" become "Jewish?"
post #225 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

I think he was chafing at the air of entitlement that is floating around this thread.

Yeah, but entitlement by whom? Seems that this discussion got going in large part because some people feel that SAT >x entitles them to a spot in Harvard..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child