or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White Ressentiment, the Poster Child - Page 14

post #196 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I don't think you guys are aware of how racist many Asian Americans are toward white people. Basically, they have all the same prejudicial thoughts about you being lazy, stupid, dirty, smelly, etc., that racist white people have about other minorities. I've never known Chinese Americans in my family or those I've grown up with to value associating with white people. In fact, there is only negative value. What they want is what rich, prosperous white people have. They don't want to be them or be near them.
Do they tell admissions officers this?
post #197 of 440
I'm just so sick of the assumption that only white people can be racist and have superiority complexes. I remember too many of the sort in college. They derived great satisfaction in feeling sorry for me and other minority students. It made them tolerant, enlightened, etc. In truth, it was completely the opposite. Just a new, sneakier form of racism--the same kind that powers affirmative action policies. It blinded them to the fact that I could not possibly need their help less. In fact, if anything, the reverse was true.

I'll never forget being lectured by some white dude from Oklahoma that he supports affirmative action in order to benefit people like me. I was younger and even brasher than I am now, so I engaged him in the middle of one of our busier quads. Basically, it came down to proving he was a beneficiary of affirmative action at my expense. My test scores and grades were magnitudes higher. I had much wealthier and better educated parents, and grew up in a much nicer area. His enlightened compassion was actually an ignorant assumption of white superiority. I have to admit, embarrassing him was painfully enjoyable.
Edited by mafoofan - 3/22/13 at 1:13pm
post #198 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

So you hate us and look down at us but cry foul when you can't co-opt our education system and Anglo-Saxon traditions for your own, racist gain?

Does that pretty much sum it up?

I'm not racist. I was explaining that many Asian Americans grow up that way.

Speaking of being racist, when you refer to "our education system," who is "our" referring to? This is ugly stuff, folks.
post #199 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I'm just so sick of the assumption that only white people can be racist and have superiority complexes. I remember too many of the sort in college. They derived great satisfaction in feeling sorry for me and other minority students. It made them tolerant, enlightened, etc. In truth, it was completely the opposite. Just a new, sneakier form of racism--the same kind that powers affirmative action policies. It blinded them to the fact that I could not possibly need their help less. In fact, if anything, the reverse was true.

I'll never forget being lectured by some white dude from Oklahoma that he supports affirmative action in order to benefit people like me. I was younger and even brasher than I am now, so I engaged him in the middle of one of our busier quads. Basically, it came down to proving he was a beneficiary of affirmative action at my expense. My test scores and grades were magnitudes higher. I had much wealthier and better educated parents, and grew up in a much nicer area. The point was to prove to him his enlightened compassion was actually a racist assumption of white superiority.

The people I ever see this from are white.
post #200 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

I'd love to hear what Foo has to say about black folks.

Can't be anymore then what's already been said here.

Plus black people are used to this.
post #201 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post

The people I ever see this from are white.

The others may not be speaking in English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

Can't be anymore then what's already been said here.

Do you guys easily confuse discussing racism with being racist? I don't know what I've said here that is remotely racist.
post #202 of 440
I think you need to make allowance for the lower SAT scores.
post #203 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

I think you need to make allowance for the lower SAT scores.

Or the problem is that I didn't go to one of my "own" schools. I mean, I went to an Ivy League school, but apparently it would be more "mine" if I were some random white guy on the internet who never set foot there.

Seriously, did nobody else catch that tidbit in NorCal's comment? It's pretty repugnant and only reinforces what I'm saying about white racism masking itself as enlightened compassion for minorities.
post #204 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

The others may not be speaking in English.
Do you guys easily confuse discussing racism with being racist? I don't know what I've said here that is remotely racist.

I didn't say you were
post #205 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

I'd love to hear what Foo has to say about black folks.

On the racist chart I'm pretty sure everybody has black people down at the bottom.

Found this on the internet as to "which race is the worst neighbour?" Black people have it by a pretty big margin.
Quote:
Black 71.21%
Asian 8.92%
American Indian 6.84%
Muslim 27.86%
Mexican/South American 29.12%
Indian 9.74%
Jewish 15.11%
post #206 of 440
A poorer showing for the Jews than I expected. Maybe people just really like seeing lights around their neighborhood at Christmas time.
post #207 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

On the racist chart I'm pretty sure everybody has black people down at the bottom.

Found this on the internet as to "which race is the worst neighbour?" Black people have it by a pretty big margin.

Birdman, what is the source of your figures. That makes a difference, no?

BTW, I have a black neighbor, and I'm fine with it. I don't know if he's fine with me.
post #208 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Speaking of being racist, when you refer to "our education system," who is "our" referring to? This is ugly stuff, folks.

When you learn white folks were given America by God and Jesus above you'll understand.
post #209 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

I don't think you guys are aware of how racist many Asian Americans are toward white people. Basically, they have all the same prejudicial thoughts about you being lazy, stupid, dirty, smelly, etc., that racist white people have about other minorities. I've never known Chinese Americans in my family or those I've grown up with to value associating with white people. In fact, there is only negative value. What they want is what rich, prosperous white people have. They don't want to be them or be near them.

Foo, isn't it a bad idea to group all Asian Americans?

Though I obviously see that you say "many Asian Americans", and I think I understand the meaning and context of your post.

The reason I bring this up is because I have a good friend here in Houston who is Vietnamese. He is an MD and has done very well as have many Vietnamese second and third generation here in Houston. I know him well enough to engage in some pretty good satire ( which many times is not satire ). I have told him, "you must be prejudiced against us lazy spoiled white folks". He laughs and says "yeah, probably true but you must remember I was raised that way".

So, I asked him if he feels differently about Chinese people or Japanese. He surprised me by saying, that yeah "we" ( he and his Vietnamese family ) are just as prejudiced against Chinese and Japanese people as American people. He said that just because they are from Asia, don't assume that "all slants are the same" these words are his words verbatim and said semi-jokingly ( but seriously ) by him. I think I see where he is coming from. What do you think of this and when you say "many Asian Americans", would you group Chinese, Vietnamese and Japanese people in any way?

BTW: The Vietnamese MD friend that I know is a great guy, very successful, and has a great sense of humor. He was born there but came to the US with his "boat people" parents in the 1970s.
post #210 of 440
Thread Starter 
Foo came into my thread and peed the rug.

And now people are telling their "I know this one Asian" story.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › White Ressentiment, the Poster Child