or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help with Allen Edmonds!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with Allen Edmonds!

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

Hi there! New member of this forum, though I've been lurking for a while. Tried to post this in the AE appreciation thread, but there was too much going on there and I didn't get any responses.

 

This forum led me to buy my first pair of AEs about a year and a half ago - a pair of black Fifth Avenues. Before that, I had never spent more than $50 on a pair of dress shoes.

 

This past December, I bought 2 more pairs during the post-Christmas sales at Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers. I have concerns with both pairs, and would appreciate some feedback!

 

1) AE McAllisters (burgundy) from Brooks Brothers: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Leather-Wingtips/MH00216,default,pd.html

Since this uses the same last as the Fifth Avenue, I was expecting this to fit as well as the Fifths. But because this is the Brooks Brothers version with a different sole, my foot doesn't sit as deeply in the shoe. As a result, I'm finding the shoes very tight and get heel slippage on one of my feet. Is this something that will resolve itself as I break the shoes in? Or should I give up and return them?

 

2) AE Cliftons (brown) from Nordstrom: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmonds-clifton-oxford/3158930

The leather on one shoe appears to have some graining or lining (not sure what to call it) in particular areas but not throughout the shoe. The other shoe does not have this graining but has wrinkles in the leather in one area. See pictures of both below. Are these things normal, or should I try to exchange for another pair?

 

 

 

Thanks in advance!!

post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by presto987 View Post

The leather on one shoe appears to have some graining or lining (not sure what to call it) in particular areas but not throughout the shoe. The other shoe does not have this graining but has wrinkles in the leather in one area. See pictures of both below. Are these things normal, or should I try to exchange for another pair?

That's perfectly normal. Shoes aren't meant to be pristine.
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal View Post

That's perfectly normal. Shoes aren't meant to be pristine.

All the new pairs of shoes I have purchased have tiny marks like this, I assumed it was normal. smile.gif
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
That's good to hear. I was more concerned about the "wrinkly" part, but I guess it happens.

Any thoughts on the comfort of the BB McAllisters?
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by presto987 View Post

That's good to hear. I was more concerned about the "wrinkly" part, but I guess it happens.

Any thoughts on the comfort of the BB McAllisters?

 

Quote:
because this is the Brooks Brothers version with a different sole, my foot doesn't sit as deeply in the shoe. As a result, I'm finding the shoes very tight and get heel slippage on one of my feet.

 

Sounds to me like the BB McAllisters use a different sole, which may result in the shoes feeling a bit tight and possible heel slippage.

 

Seriously though, everyone has different feet.  You tried them on, so you know best how they feel for you.  Perhaps you should try a different size/width.  It's also pretty normal for people two have slightly different sizes between feet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Help with Allen Edmonds!