or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › E. & G. Cappelli- A walk through of my tie shopping experience in Napoli.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

E. & G. Cappelli- A walk through of my tie shopping experience in Napoli. - Page 2

post #16 of 29


This is not an easy shirt to match. Consider wearing the shirt to Cappelli and see what he can do for you.
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
That's exactly what I wished I had done! I also think I made a mistake with the shirt, but I loved that fabric. I've got mostly basic pieces in my wardrobe, so I'm trying to expand but having some growing pains! It can work, but I'm thinking something else would work with more fits.
post #18 of 29

That is a nice shirt and I don't think it should be that hard to match. Solid odd jacket or casual suit, I could see a large scale check working too. Either solid ties or in a pattern that differs in scale from the shirt stripe (in that case, keep the jacket/suit solid). Tie should be casual, too, as this is not a formal suit shirt really. Blue or green ties should work against the brown stripes, or brown tie if you don't mind the matchiness...

post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

That is a nice shirt and I don't think it should be that hard to match. Solid odd jacket or casual suit, I could see a large scale check working too. Either solid ties or in a pattern that differs in scale from the shirt stripe (in that case, keep the jacket/suit solid). Tie should be casual, too, as this is not a formal suit shirt really. Blue or green ties should work against the brown stripes, or brown tie if you don't mind the matchiness...

Thank you RDiaz,
I do have a brown tie- but the matchiness thing.  Cappelli did have a nice rusty pumpkin solid that would work.  I also have a paisley that's sage green dominant with blue, yellow, etc.  That would work- but does anyone wear paisley still?  I know paisley is not proper business attire, but I'm not a businessman so I wear suits mainly to church, concerts, dinners, etc.  Never for business. 

I do have some tweed trousers that would work with the shirt.  I'm getting the vest and jacket ordered from Scotland soon.  The pants are too hard to pull off on their own.  Here's a pic of the tweed:

post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

Thank you RDiaz,
I do have a brown tie- but the matchiness thing.  Cappelli did have a nice rusty pumpkin solid that would work.  I also have a paisley that's sage green dominant with blue, yellow, etc.  That would work- but does anyone wear paisley still?  I know paisley is not proper business attire, but I'm not a businessman so I wear suits mainly to church, concerts, dinners, etc.  Never for business. 

I do have some tweed trousers that would work with the shirt.  I'm getting the vest and jacket ordered from Scotland soon.  The pants are too hard to pull off on their own.  Here's a pic of the tweed:

 

Yes, there are a lot of ties that will work with that shirt. Brown works well with many colours. I don't know how large the paisleys in your tie are (larger paisleys are better suited to handkerchiefs IMO), but if you're not going to wear your suits in a business context, I doubt anyone will care - just wear it if you like it. More so with tweed.

 

You are very lucky to have Cappelli at walking distance! Just go there with the shirt and see what casual ties he can offer to pair it with smile.gif

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post


Patrizio was great to talk to.  He told me that he was a pharmacist and then 18 years ago he sold his pharmacy and got into the tie business and now he's selling ties all over.  He was packing up a box to ship to Houston TX while I was there!  He is a true gentleman and speaks very good English. 

So this brand has only been around since 1995? puzzled.gif

Must have it confused with Marinella if I thought it was older?
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
I was shocked too- I asked him if his father did this before him and he said no, he was the first.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

I was shocked too- I asked him if his father did this before him and he said no, he was the first.

What stores carry/have carried his stuff? How did the brand become so well known in iGent circles?
post #24 of 29
post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 

I'm new to this world so I can't say.  He has his own website to buy from and also sells through A Suitable Wardrobe. 

 

http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/

post #26 of 29
Thread Starter 

Update:  I decided to take my tie back and picked up this 7-fold as a replacement.  I felt it would be much more versatile.  Patrizio was most accommodating.  

 

 

AppleMark

 

AppleMark

post #27 of 29

That's a nice tie, but...

 

 

I just have the feeling that a tie like that would be much nicer as a print, but that's just my opinion smile.gif

post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 

I've got plenty of love for both printed and woven ties.   I liked the three-dimensional aspect of this tie.  I have a lot of printed ties, so I have been buying more woven ties lately. 

 

I found another tie maker in Napoli worth a look.  Giorgio has a a nice little tie shop and can do a custom tie for you and have it ready to pick up the next day.  I'll post more info on him once I buy a tie. 

 

http://www.giorgio-napoli.com/

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGent View Post

I've got plenty of love for both printed and woven ties.   I liked the three-dimensional aspect of this tie.  I have a lot of printed ties, so I have been buying more woven ties lately. 

I found another tie maker in Napoli worth a look.  Giorgio has a a nice little tie shop and can do a custom tie for you and have it ready to pick up the next day.  I'll post more info on him once I buy a tie. 

http://www.giorgio-napoli.com/

Giorgio is a really nice guy - go and have dinner with him afterwards... smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › E. & G. Cappelli- A walk through of my tie shopping experience in Napoli.