or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Socks to wear with tuxedo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Socks to wear with tuxedo

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, anyone got suggestions on a pair of socks to wear with tuxedo? I would want them to be in some luxurious fabric with a great feel to it and also I am wondering about if they should go up right beneath the knees or if the should go normal. Hope u understand what I mean by that! I've heard good things about bresciani, falke etc.
post #2 of 25
The socks should be black, silk and go over the calf. You don't want them falling down. The names you mention sound good; I believe I got mine from Ralph Lauren, but any quality men's store should have these.
post #3 of 25
You'll want silk or silk blend. They should go over the calf (just above your knee). Personally this is how I like all my socks, so that is "normal" for me, but whatever. ASW has a nice selection:

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/pickandpickpatternedcottonandsilkdresshose.aspx

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/puresilkdresshose.aspx
post #4 of 25
The term you are looking for is "over the calf", which is often abbreviated to "OTC". I can't answer authoritatively on which are proper, but as I like little-to-no break in my pants, I would prefer OTC socks in that situation. They also stay up better. Pantherella seems to have declined in favour lately, but I've never had an issue.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

You'll want silk or silk blend.

Yes, tradition calls for silk hose.

But I have found silk socks to be really disgustingly transparent, kind of kinky (almost as transparent as women’s black Nylon stockings). I’d rather go for "Fil d'Ecosse" (extra fine cotton socks).
post #6 of 25

Buy silk socks. Unless you're going to pull up your pants legs and dance on a table, the length doesn't matter. I don't think that the young lady who you take back to your room will care. With these types of priorities, I don't think that you'll be taking a young lady back to your room anyway, so who gives a fxck?

post #7 of 25
Silk hose, like the rest of the posters said, is appropriate. I've also worn cotton lisle OTC socks by Zimmerli, and they're great.

Avail from Kabbaz's online shop -- http://www.customshirt1.com/SkFt/ZMFT_1583_S02Web.jpg
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Can anybody tell me the reason why the socks should go over the calf?
post #9 of 25
So they don't slide down. Do the calf socks you're wearing stay up, without you having to tug them up?
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preparatory View Post

Can anybody tell me the reason why the socks should go over the calf?

Because it helps them stay up. Nobody should ever see your legs between your socks and trousers.
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

So they don't slide down. Do the calf socks you're wearing stay up, without you having to tug them up?

I haven't worn over-the-calf socks since I was a kid, and I haven't had a problem keeping my socks up yet. I think that's a logical fallacy. It has more to do with weak elastic (or whatever keeps your socks up) than the height of the socks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


Because it helps them stay up. Nobody should ever see your legs between your socks and trousers.

Absolutely...because at any moment, your pants could rise to calf-level, exposing your naked leg....come on. satisfied.gif

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

I haven't worn over-the-calf socks since I was a kid, and I haven't had a problem keeping my socks up yet. I think that's a logical fallacy. It has more to do with weak elastic (or whatever keeps your socks up) than the height of the socks.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with a logical fallacy (in fact, I don't even know why you're trying to smuggle in logic here) and more to do with your calves/anatomy. If your calves are prominent and much larger relative to the ankles, such that it doesn't taper gradually, the socks won't stay up.

I've used socks that cut off at the calves from Pantherella through Gallo to Bresciani. They all slide down my calves. So unless all these reputable makers have crappy elastic bands, which is why they keep sliding down, I don't buy your point. I now wear OTC and they stay up the whole day.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

I haven't worn over-the-calf socks since I was a kid, and I haven't had a problem keeping my socks up yet. I think that's a logical fallacy. It has more to do with weak elastic (or whatever keeps your socks up) than the height of the socks.

Absolutely...because at any moment, your pants could rise to calf-level, exposing your naked leg....come on. satisfied.gif

Obviously OP's pants (or anyone else's) are not going to rise to calf level. Nobody is suggesting this is going to occur. The key is avoiding having one's socks falling to one's ankles. If your socks stay up perfectly and never fall down without being over the calf, great. Many shorter socks do not. Over the calf socks are much more likely to do so.
post #14 of 25
I've had same experience as bb. All Bresciani OTC for me.
post #15 of 25
100% silk socks are usually the best for cerimonies or "tuxedo" events. The silk has also the peculiarity to keep the body tempereture, so it's good both in Summer and in Winter. You have different kind of silk on the market, the "shappe", which is the "basic" socks and the silk called (in Italian, sorry don't have the word in English) "organzino", which is the best. Usually best raw silk is coming from China, then, of course, there must be an excellent Company transforming it in the final thread, following all the right procedures and complaining to the Reach regulamentation about the protection of the health of the final consumer. As the thread is extremly fine, the spinner should be extremly prepared and good.
Of course an 100% silk sock is quite transparent, shiny and slippery.

About the lenght of the socks, to be sure the crew socks are staying up either you can buy under the calf socks (which is REALLY bad looking and not elegant) or buy socks with a lot of syntetic fibers in it, to give them the "stretch" fitting. Of course a sock 70% natural fiber 30% nylon or spandex is not so comfortable as 100% natural fiber, doesn't give the same transpiration to the skin, doesn't have the same look and doesn't have the same "hand". A little syntetic could be good, special in wooly materials, to avoid shrinkage problems. For example you have wool thread with nylon or polyammidic inside the thread, in order to avoid the nylon on the skin (a lot of people are becoming allergic to it).

This is of course my personal opinion, and there can be people thinkng completely opposite and I respect their opionion.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Socks to wear with tuxedo