or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do so many people get the fabric cut on their trousers when hemming the pants?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do so many people get the fabric cut on their trousers when hemming the pants?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I'd like to ask this, because I don't understand the thought process - it doesn't make much sense to me long term. Wouldn't it also add extra weight, which is good if you like wear plain bottoms?

 

And for the love of God It makes purchasing suits difficult. Can't all the extra fabric get hemmed under when getting it altered for the right inseam? I see so many suits in Long sizes with 30"/31" inseams with jackets that have 26"+ sleeves and I think that they should just stick with regulars.

post #2 of 10

If I understand your concern correctly, some pants/trouser cannot be left uncut as it tapers down quite drastically. In this case, it is better to cut it unless your tailor knows how to keep it. 

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinbmx View Post

If I understand your concern correctly, some pants/trouser cannot be left uncut as it tapers down quite drastically. In this case, it is better to cut it unless your tailor knows how to keep it. 


Both my tailors(my grandpa and his competitor) used to make bespoke so I always feel their work is magic when it comes to my suits, but I read several posts on AAAC and here were some tailors were saying this is why they encourage people to keep as much fabric as possible.

post #4 of 10

Probably because they don't ask the tailor not to, so the tailor does it however he/she wants to.

 

/endthread

post #5 of 10
Most unfinished pants have inseams of 38". If you are say a 32" inseam, you'd have to fold over 6".

This would, imho, look weird, drape weird, and feel very heavy.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

I have a 33" inseam. I can understand 6" would be odd. I'm just thinking maybe 3". If you end up selling it like many do, it can be a benefit.
 

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

Probably because they don't ask the tailor not to, so the tailor does it however he/she wants to.

 

/endthread

Very good point... I now realise my error(s)

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post

I'd like to ask this, because I don't understand the thought process - it doesn't make much sense to me long term. Wouldn't it also add extra weight, which is good if you like wear plain bottoms?

 

 

That's subjective.  I have had temporary hems done like this and I *hate* how it makes the break look. Too bulky, it always breaks at the point in which the edge of the fold occurs.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by biged781 View Post

 

That's subjective.  I have had temporary hems done like this and I *hate* how it makes the break look. Too bulky, it always breaks at the point in which the edge of the fold occurs.

 

I didn't consider this - I don't know how this skipped my mind. That is a very valid point, about the break. I guess I'll have to become wealthy so I can buy everything new so I don't have to scour for a long inseam.

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

Probably because they don't ask the tailor not to, so the tailor does it however he/she wants to.

 

/endthread

this. I told alterations person (chinese lady w/"okay" english) I like cuffs. She apparently took that as nonbinding language and didn't cuff the pants. they're narrow at the bottom, so they look fine, but I was kinda upset.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do so many people get the fabric cut on their trousers when hemming the pants?