or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First Tux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Tux - Page 2

post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

I suggest and Midnight blue one button shawl collar or peak lapel with satin waist band. Do not buy a notch collar. I suggest looking at the Oxxford store in NYC.

Your cummerbund should match your lapels, so doin't just get a satin one if your lapels are grosgrain or faile. Skip the Oxxford store - it's way out of your price range.

Second the rec for Ercole.
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric View Post

Your cummerbund should match your lapels, so doin't just get a satin one if your lapels are grosgrain or faile. Skip the Oxxford store - it's way out of your price range.

Second the rec for Ercole.

No cummerbund...waist band that matches lapels.
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

No cummerbund...waist band that matches lapels.

What formal waist band do you refer to if not a cummerbund? A sash?
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric View Post

What formal waist band do you refer to if not a cummerbund? A sash?

Do it. Get a sash.
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post

 

Probably a little wishful thinking (although I do have a lot of weddings to attend in the years to come). Bottom line is I would rather spend some extra money now than feel compelled to go buy something else in a couple years because I skimped out on quality. This particular event is black tie and work related. I don't want to be the junior guy who shows up in a Men's Warehouse rental.

 

In that case OP, go for it. I'd suggest buying a tuxedo that you'll be less likely to feel bad about in a few years. Don't buy a midnight blue, shawl-collared tuxedo. They're very popular now because of Skyfall, and they have a place, but if you're serious about wanting something that you can go to over and over again, that probably shouldn't be your first choice. If I was in that situation, I'd probably buy a black, peak-lapel, 1-button, single-breasted tuxedo. IMO, you'd probably get the most use out of that. If you ever decided to get a second tux, then you could go with a double-breasted one or a mid-night blue shawl.

 

...just one man's opinion.

post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post


I really hope you are joking about the non-black bow-tie

 

His post was clearly and blatantly sarcastic in its entirety.

post #22 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallcloud View Post


Do it. Get a sash.

 

When would one wear a sash as opposed to a cummerbund?

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

 

In that case OP, go for it. I'd suggest buying a tuxedo that you'll be less likely to feel bad about in a few years. Don't buy a midnight blue, shawl-collared tuxedo. They're very popular now because of Skyfall, and they have a place, but if you're serious about wanting something that you can go to over and over again, that probably shouldn't be your first choice. If I was in that situation, I'd probably buy a black, peak-lapel, 1-button, single-breasted tuxedo. IMO, you'd probably get the most use out of that. If you ever decided to get a second tux, then you could go with a double-breasted one or a mid-night blue shawl.

 

...just one man's opinion.

 

Not a fan of the shawl collar personally, no matter how many times James Bond wears one.

 

Went to Century 21 today to get some socks. Took a look at what they had OTR. They had Canali, Zegna etc. for $1k, but I was surprised to see that they were all notch lapels.  Thinking custom is the way to go since buying these at full retail would be about the same price.

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

In that case OP, go for it. I'd suggest buying a tuxedo that you'll be less likely to feel bad about in a few years. Don't buy a midnight blue, shawl-collared tuxedo. They're very popular now because of Skyfall, and they have a place, but if you're serious about wanting something that you can go to over and over again, that probably shouldn't be your first choice. If I was in that situation, I'd probably buy a black, peak-lapel, 1-button, single-breasted tuxedo. IMO, you'd probably get the most use out of that. If you ever decided to get a second tux, then you could go with a double-breasted one or a mid-night blue shawl.

...just one man's opinion.

Actually midnight blue has always been a choice for tuxedos. It was a bit more obvious in skyfall but remember even in casino royal the tuxedo was midnight blue not black. In certain lights it looks blacker than black. Below are pics of a midnight blue suit. The first one looks black because of the lighting and the second is from the same night same suit and all but looks more "blue"





post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

Whatever you choose to do, veer towards getting something custom made.

 

 

Why?

post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post



I understand your point about the darkness of the midnight blue suit, but from the picture we can learn that a bright tie will never look good with such colour. Thanks for the contribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt10000 View Post

Why?

It is because the tux will fit you far better in the nitty-gritty parts. You might not notice the superiority straight away, but you will in the future. Plus bespoke formal fabrics are usually much more durable and nicer than the ones used in RTW. I own 3 dinner jackets outfits, and only my playful outfit (TF mid blue paisley DJ in silk) is RTW, the others are all bespoke. People do notice and expect perfection in Black Tie/ White Tie events, well if you are in the right side of the street.
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

I understand your point about the darkness of the midnight blue suit, but from the picture we can learn that a bright tie will never look good with such colour. Thanks for the contribution.

No problem. And from your post ill be sure to ask you next time about which ties go well with what color since you obviously have such a clear eye when it comes to these things.
post #27 of 49
I would definitely go custom rather than OTR. My preference would be midnight blue, double breasted, peak lapel no vent. A DB tux eliminates the need for a vest or cummerbund. In addition to looking great as a tux, it can play double duty as a more formal suit for other occasions with a long tie (instead of a bow tie). Just my preference.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

If you want a vest instead of a cummerbund, your best bet is to go custom/MTM, especially if you are considering midnight blue. The chances of finding an OTR midnight blue tuxedo with a matching vest in the configuration you are looking for is slim to none. Going custom lets you get the vest body and lapels made out of the same materials as the tuxedo jacket. You can also pick your vents, lapels, fabric color, etc.. For some reason, finding an OTR tuxedo in a decent configuration is difficult.

Why do you want side vents anyway? The classic configuration is ventless. I suppose you can always get them sewn up later if you change your mind. You can't get them added though.

I wouldn't do ventless. That's the one feature I'd deviate from the classic configuration.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotone View Post

I would definitely go custom rather than OTR. My preference would be midnight blue, double breasted, peak lapel no vent. A DB tux eliminates the need for a vest or cummerbund. In addition to looking great as a tux, it can play double duty as a more formal suit for other occasions with a long tie (instead of a bow tie). Just my preference.
What about the silk/grosgain Lapels? i think that would rule it out for use as a suit? IMO double breasted is a bit of a stretch in these times especially if its going to be a first tux. Nothing wrong with them but i would assume he would be more comfortable with a SB
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotone View Post

I would definitely go custom rather than OTR. My preference would be midnight blue, double breasted, peak lapel no vent. A DB tux eliminates the need for a vest or cummerbund. In addition to looking great as a tux, it can play double duty as a more formal suit for other occasions with a long tie (instead of a bow tie). Just my preference.

I love midnight blue for lounge suiting but I don't think it's a good idea to try and pass off a midnight blue tuxedo as anything other than what it is. With the black lapels, jetted pockets and finish on the trousers it will look out of Place outside of black tie events.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First Tux