or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First Tux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Tux

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 

I have to get my first tux for an upcoming formal event (2 months out). I really don't want to rent something, as I want to look like I belong there. I'm of the view that since I really only need 1 tux for the foreseeable future, my first one should be a nice one that I am happy with for a long time. I have a good sense of the style I want (peak lapel, side vents), so I am looking for some advice on going shopping.

 

 

Budget: $1k - $2k

Location: NYC

 

Do the fashion experts of SF suggest the same approach to tux shopping as when selecting a nice suit or are there some common pitfalls I need to watch out for? I usually go RLBL with suits (fit me very well after bringing in the sides a bit), do they make a nice tuxedo? For this price range, should I explore getting something custom made from a less expensive tailor?

 

Also, does anyone have any feedback on midnight blue? I'm intrigued by the idea, as I feel it would be more versatile and look much better in daylight. The versatility is the key, as I cannot see myself wearing a tux more than 1-3 times per year.

 

Thanks for any insight.

post #2 of 49

If you're willing to go over by a few hundred, I would get a bespoke tux from Ercole. Otherwise, Manolo Costa in NYC is about $1,700.

 

Whatever you choose to do, veer towards getting something custom made.

 

I'm a fan of midnight - I have a three-piece tux made with Smith Woolen's midnight blue mohair.

post #3 of 49
Get a Double Breasted, you'll be glad you did.
post #4 of 49

A question to consider is do you really "need" a tux, or do you just want one because you think that it will make you look like you "belong?" If you have no clue when/if you'll wear it again, then you probably shouldn't break the bank. You said that you'll probably wear it 1-3 times per year, but is that really just wishful thinking or posturing?

post #5 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

If you're willing to go over by a few hundred, I would get a bespoke tux from Ercole. Otherwise, Manolo Costa in NYC is about $1,700.

 

Whatever you choose to do, veer towards getting something custom made.

 

I'm a fan of midnight - I have a three-piece tux made with Smith Woolen's midnight blue mohair.

 

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask around a bit and maybe swing by when I have some time.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post

Get a Double Breasted, you'll be glad you did.

 

I'm only 23, so I shy away from anything double breasted at this stage in life. Also dress on the conservative side.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

A question to consider is do you really "need" a tux, or do you just want one because you think that it will make you look like you "belong?" If you have no clue when/if you'll wear it again, then you probably shouldn't break the bank. You said that you'll probably wear it 1-3 times per year, but is that really just wishful thinking or posturing?

Probably a little wishful thinking (although I do have a lot of weddings to attend in the years to come). Bottom line is I would rather spend some extra money now than feel compelled to go buy something else in a couple years because I skimped out on quality. This particular event is black tie and work related. I don't want to be the junior guy who shows up in a Men's Warehouse rental.

post #6 of 49
Get a tux. Get the best you can afford. You'll be glad every time you put it on. And knowing you have it there ready to go is also a great feeling. When the occasion calls for black tie, you'll be so glad you've got the best you can.

Midnight blue is perfectly fine, and mohair is definitely a win. Mine is black mohair, and I love it.

Be sure to have a waist covering too. Good vests are hard to find, but cummerbunds are very easy.
post #7 of 49

IMO, I don't like to wear cummerbund because I think it makes me look to old.

post #8 of 49

If you want a vest instead of a cummerbund, your best bet is to go custom/MTM, especially if you are considering midnight blue. The chances of finding an OTR midnight blue tuxedo with a matching vest in the configuration you are looking for is slim to none. Going custom lets you get the vest body and lapels made out of the same materials as the tuxedo jacket. You can also pick your vents, lapels, fabric color, etc.. For some reason, finding an OTR tuxedo in a decent configuration is difficult.

 

Why do you want side vents anyway? The classic configuration is ventless. I suppose you can always get them sewn up later if you change your mind. You can't get them added though.

post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by azumi View Post

IMO, I don't like to wear cummerbund because I think it makes me look to old.

To keep up the youthful flavor try a red or purple satin bow tie with it as well, and don't forget about a polished silver belt buckle. I hear the Tasmanian Devil or "Taz" is a very popular and will help advertise your youth. I'm sure ou can find one on ebay,
post #10 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post

Get a Double Breasted, you'll be glad you did.

Why?
post #11 of 49
System failure, duplicated post.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post

Probably a little wishful thinking (although I do have a lot of weddings to attend in the years to come). Bottom line is I would rather spend some extra money now than feel compelled to go buy something else in a couple years because I skimped out on quality. This particular event is black tie and work related. I don't want to be the junior guy who shows up in a Men's Warehouse rental.

I don mine about four or five times a year. I am in Minneapolis where black tie events are uncommon, I've found it to be a good investment. Midnight blue is harder to find, but is popular due to the recent Douzero-Seven Jimmy Bond movie. Recommended if you can find one with matching vest.
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Why?

I have both. I do like my double-breasted as it tends to stay in place when mingling and needs less adjusting. The only problem is when seated for dinner the jacket must be undone.
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel View Post

To keep up the youthful flavor try a red or purple satin bow tie with it as well, and don't forget about a polished silver belt buckle. I hear the Tasmanian Devil or "Taz" is a very popular and will help advertise your youth. I'm sure ou can find one on ebay,

I really hope you are joking about the non-black bow-tie
post #15 of 49
I suggest and Midnight blue one button shawl collar or peak lapel with satin waist band. Do not buy a notch collar. I suggest looking at the Oxxford store in NYC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First Tux