or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manton's Law
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manton's Law - Page 3

post #31 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I enjoy it a great deal. The incredibly slow pace is a natural side effect of creating a forum dedicated to bespoke tailoring. There just that many people that are interested and even fewer who are interested in sharing their experiences on the internet. It's purpose isn't to make money so there is no incentive to have any activity other than that which fosters the purpose of the forum. So the pace is slower.

As for criticism, it is true that members are less likely to critique one another's clothing than on this forum. I think that is because (1) Michael Alden has created a forum where members are expected to respectful of one another, (2) the overall experience level at LL is much, much greater than here so you don't have a few single individuals feigning experience and being thought of as having more expertise and (3) once a certain comfort level is achieved with bespoke tailoring, "good vs bad" is a silly distinction that isn't really made by anyone other than the bespeaker.

That being said, I think there is a great deal of criticism in the sense of discussing different styles and techniques, often in a way that respectfully challenges viewpoints and assumptions.

Dressing up isn't a videogame, you pull it off or you don't and every outfit brings back the same question.
post #32 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by topos View Post

This is really a corollary of the law of internet forums (most of them; I can think of a single exception from my experience): everyone talks, nobody listens. Do you really think people actually read AND understand the posts of others? Most internet forums are, for worse, about people listening to themselves talk. It's going to be worse on a forum like this one, because any thread promoting a look is sure to attract the masses who seek validation for their own look (look at me!!!) as opposed to an honest attempt to engage in an intellectual exercise of following an idea.

I didn't read this, but I am pretty sure I agree.
post #33 of 142
BTW, this thread is one of my favorites already.
post #34 of 142

While I disagree strongly with O'Sullivan's rather one-sided "law" (really a whine), I do agree that every thread, over the course of time, will devolve into vanity and flame-throwing.  But that is the nature of just about any interaction that is not moderated either by authoritarian discipline (laws against free speech) or societal condemnation (racist comments causing a person to be ostracized).  In the case of a lightly moderated, anonymous online forum, it is inevitable that this would occur with regularity.

 

Perhaps the lesson to be learned is that threads in a forum aren't meant to last forever, but are as ephemeral as their conduit.  Once they have served their purpose, it's time to move on to another topic or restart a similar one.  Especially at SF where threads can go on for tens of thousands of posts, this might be something to consider. 

post #35 of 142
I think most normal social conversations involve two (or more) people saying things to each other without really being interested in what the other person has to say. That is why many such conversations involve people making self-evident statements to each other and thinking that is a conversation. Translated to a chat forum, the probelm gets compounded by
  1. the time factor (delays in seeing what another person writes)
  2. the anonymity factor (no accountability for own actions)
  3. disproportionately high number of people who seek validation (of opinions and self expression) rather than conversation

When these factors are combined, Manton's law seems inevitable.
post #36 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

I can't imagine starting any thread on any web forum (cars, watches, clothes, custom knives) with the expectation that all will agree with me and enthusiastically applaud my opening post.  Then again, a forum that is nothing more than a predictable back-slapping assembly of members of a mutual admiration society wouldn't hold much interest for me at all.
You're missing the point.

If a thread is supposed to be about "X", it never stays about "X". Other people insist on introducing Y and Z as well, others say that X=A=B=C, while others prefer to ponder "What is X, anyway?" And still others like to declaim "how dare you say that D is not X?? Who are you to say what X is?"
post #37 of 142
My mind is still blown over the fact that a man with several, several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bespoke clothing drives such a miserable car.

'96 Accord = not in good taste by any rational standard

Styleforvm members are getting their pents hand stitched in Napoli but eat tuna out of cans...smh
post #38 of 142
Thread Starter 
First of all, I hardly ever drive. Second, it's my "secondary" car. Third, it is a great car. Fourth, there is no way my bespoke purchases are in the multi-six figures. Fifth, I care about clothes but not about cars.
post #39 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post

My mind is still blown over the fact that a man with several, several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bespoke clothing drives such a miserable car.

'96 Accord = not in good taste by any rational standard

Styleforvm members are getting their pents hand stitched in Napoli but eat tuna out of cans...smh

Don't be retarded. Truly wealthy people drive practical cars like this quite frequently. The suburban middle class dad, his dollar already stretched to the extreme, is the one who buys the luxury car.

My love for Manton has swelled with this additional piece of information.
post #40 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanS View Post

My mind is still blown over the fact that a man with several, several hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of bespoke clothing drives such a miserable car.

'96 Accord = not in good taste by any rational standard

Styleforvm members are getting their pents hand stitched in Napoli but eat tuna out of cans...smh

The CEO of IKEA drove (or still drives) a Volvo with 200,000+ miles on it.

Some people just aren't into spending a lot on depreciating assets that'll stop working someday. So weird, right?
post #41 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

I have a 1996 Accord! Not tricked out though.

My '96 Civic gave up the ghost last month.
post #42 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by acridsheep View Post


My love for Manton has swelled with this additional piece of information.

i thought this was the love that went unspoken?
post #43 of 142
Today, I purchased this book and I shall seek to study it and apply the principles, and then post here. More seriously however, I've leaved through it, and it seemed engaging enough to me. I'd have liked an autograph, being the book collector I am.

post #44 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post

This.

The internet is not inherently "social," despite Mark Zuckerberg's insistence to the contrary. Most internet users fluctuate between two behavioral modes: 1) validation-seeking, and 2) information-seeking.

I agree with BigT for most internet users but would add a #3 in the case of a forum like Styleforum that there are people who come here and share because of their genuine enthusiasm. It may also have to do with the fact that many just don't know any other guys to talk to about these subjects so there is a certain "community". Not all of it is rooted showing off or seeking praise. Examples of the enthusiasm would be the many excellent how-to threads or sharing of resources which have been very helpful.
post #45 of 142
Manton, I like the threads you make - throwing this out there so you don't think I'm trying to troll you or otherwise disturb your plumage

Do you think that the Good Taste thread would be more, or less interesting if only strictly perfect Good Taste photos were posted? I think it's less. It would be like a radio talk show with two hosts who do nothing but agree with one another.

"Oh, you look great today."
"Thank you, you do as well."
...
...
...
"Well that's our show for today. Join us tomorrow for more cordial ball juggling."

To a degree, the Good Taste thread seems like a good place for people to post what they think is Good Taste, and for you and the other Good Taste Guys to pass judgment. Rinse, repeat. If not that, what would you like it to be?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manton's Law