or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread*** - Page 19

post #271 of 349
^still haven't sampled that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

I've been enjoying Zaya rum lately. It won't run you much more than $25 or so.

I've just spent the last two nights up until dawn sipping Old Fashioneds made with Bulleit Rye. My life is odd.

current zaya just gets too overwhelming for me with all the vanilla, it's good at first but you grow tired of it quick

el dorado 15 is where it's at
post #272 of 349
Anyone ever try Pyrat Rum? The store I frequent has it for like 1/2 its normal retail price, reviews seem positive
post #273 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

Anyone ever try Pyrat Rum? The store I frequent has it for like 1/2 its normal retail price, reviews seem positive

crazy sweet and vanilla-ey. not sure if it's infused/spiced/otherwise artificially flavored or not. at a discount it's still worth a shot i guess.

neat, it's just too syrupy-sweet. if you can get it cheap, try it on the rocks, or in an appropriately-tart cocktail.
post #274 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

^still haven't sampled that
current zaya just gets too overwhelming for me with all the vanilla, it's good at first but you grow tired of it quick

el dorado 15 is where it's at

I can easily see why someone would find Zaya a bit overwhelming in either sweetness or vanilla, but I still find it rather enjoyable.

My slightly higher end rum is Ron Zacapa 23, how do you find El Dorado 15 stacks up to that? They're similar price points.
post #275 of 349
Zacapa and El Dorado are pretty different. Zacapa ages in a Solera system (most commonly used to age Sherry). Basically, you take a barrel of rum, age it, pull out half of it, put that in a new barrel, and add new rum to the first barrel. Further age that first barrel, take out half, add new rum, etc etc and so on. It's like a constant blend/age process.

El Dorado meanwhile is an "English style" rum, meaning they distill with both copper pot stills and modern column stills, and then blend those together and age in used bourbon casks. Using the two types of stills results in a rum that is considerably less "sweet" than "Spanish style" rums like Zacapa, Zaya, Diplomatico, etc. El Do 15 is stil definitely rummy, but it's one I often pour for whiskey drinkers or those who otherwise claim they "don't like rum."
post #276 of 349
My favorite rum is the Pampero Anniversaro. I use it to mix cocktails.

It's particularly good in an Old Cuban cocktail, topped with champagne.


Edited by LabelKing - 7/9/13 at 2:21pm
post #277 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedobandito View Post

Any recommendations for high quality/smooth small batch tequila and rum? $30 and under plz

Espolon tequila: http://www.bevmo.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?productid=33653
post #278 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post


Espolon tequila: http://www.bevmo.com/shop/productdetail.aspx?productid=33653

 

Seconding this.  My go-to, it's about 30 bucks here for a 750

post #279 of 349
Ahh I forgot all about Pimms Cups! My roommate in college studied abroad in London and came back raving about Pimms. It became a staple our last year of school. Def a hit with everyone who tried it.

Buuut now I have a whiskey question. Has anyone had Bowman Brothers Virginia Bourbon? It was recommended to me recently and I've become a big fan. Great sipping whiskey, great in cocktails, I think it cost about $30 for a 750ml bottle. I'm looking for recommendations on something similar if anyone can help, as my bottle is just about empty. I know I could just got ask the guy at the liquor store but I figured I'd start here.
post #280 of 349
For the Espolon tequila, do you prefer the blanco or reposado?
post #281 of 349
Third the Espolon rec... I generally like blanco tequila's, and that's the only Espolon I've tried. Quite tasty.
post #282 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonmanor View Post

Third the Espolon rec... I generally like blanco tequila's, and that's the only Espolon I've tried. Quite tasty.

fourthed. smoky!
post #283 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

I can easily see why someone would find Zaya a bit overwhelming in either sweetness or vanilla, but I still find it rather enjoyable.

My slightly higher end rum is Ron Zacapa 23, how do you find El Dorado 15 stacks up to that? They're similar price points.

I've only had z23 a few times and don't really remember but dm sounds like more of an expert than me. I do have a bottle of xo that I enjoy as well but I would definitely say zaya is more of a one trick pony, just drink it until you get tired of it then move onto ED15 when you're ready for something more complex.
post #284 of 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaudi0 View Post

Buuut now I have a whiskey question. Has anyone had Bowman Brothers Virginia Bourbon? It was recommended to me recently and I've become a big fan. Great sipping whiskey, great in cocktails, I think it cost about $30 for a 750ml bottle. I'm looking for recommendations on something similar if anyone can help, as my bottle is just about empty. I know I could just got ask the guy at the liquor store but I figured I'd start here.

yes, loved bowman bros!

lots of great bourbons for under $30, but i don't know many others that are made in small batches and pot stills at that price point.

buffalo trace is another solid bet in that price range that i found vaguely similar to bowman


different (but great) bourbons in that price range include four roses, weller antique 107, and countless others
post #285 of 349

Two bourbon recomendations; Bell Meade and Larceny. My bottle of Larceny had a tag for a $10 rebate.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread***