• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bag stuff

cristobal

Reaction score
When I'm wearing a suit, I generally take my Longchamp soft-sided case in black leather to work. If I'm wearing jeans, it's usually my trusty black Jansport pack. Lately, I've been considering messenger bags and attache cases, but the contrarian in me resists, as so many guys are carrying them (especially messenger bags). What are you guys carrying with you to work/school? Do you carry certain bags when you're dressed a certain way?

mbc

Reaction score
I carry a thoroughly broken in black leather messenger bag from Wilson's. It's just the simple type with a flap that closes over the bag, and magnetic clasps on the interior of the flap so there isn't any exposed hardware other than the metal that holds the strap to the bag. I suppose if I dressed more formally (my job is nowhere near the suiting type), I would pick up something a little less distressed looking, but as my daily apparel usually includes jeans and an untucked dress shirt, I think this works fairly well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry two messenger bags. The first is a tan corduroy bag from Rafe new York from a couple of years back. It is a pretty standard messenger bag design, but the color and material are pretty distinctive (I've got lots of compliments in the last couple of years. Well, one guy friend of mine calls it my man purse, but he hasn't been out of free conference and company t-shirts and khakis in about 3 years) It has a flap and two dark leather straps with rivets to keep the flap secure (one of the rivets is broken.) It is piped in the same dark brown leather. The shoulder strap is dark brown, heavy cotton material with a powder blue stripe. There is a silver buckle. The second bag is a dark brown calfskin number by John Varvatos (got it on sale - couldn't really have justified the pricetag otherwise.) It is more of a map case design, longer than it is wide. There are likewise two straps (with snaps) holding the flap in place. There is a smaller, zippered compartment in addition to the larger main compartment, which is partitioned into two. It has a saddlebag style strap (attached at the back rather than the side of the bag) which makes it quite comfortable wearing.

Sometimes, for interviews, etc, I'll carry a leather envelope - burgundy calfskin by Longchamps, about 100 years old, but continuingly serviceable.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I am nearly always in jeans and a shirt (jacket as the weather requires,) and either bag works. I tend to wear lots of earth tones and more textured clothing.

Both bags are both sort of casual, although I imagine that the Varvatos calfskin bag would work with a casual sportsjacket/trousers combo or suit in a heavier or more textured material, like flannel or moleskin.

And of course, I only use one bag at a time.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've used a Coach briefcase for a couple of years now - it turned out to be a real piece of junk. Based on my experience I'd say avoid Coach at all costs.

I just bought an item on ebay that's been on my wish list for a really long time - A Swaine Adeney Brigg briefcase... It should last a whole heck of a lot longer than the Coach did.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I carry a Filson field satchel to work: http://www.filson.com/252.HTM. Many have commented that it is a heavy bag, but I am pretty confident it will last my lifetime. I carry the suede J Peterman faux mailbag on weekends. Bic

thc

Reaction score
I carry a Ghurka Cavalier I bag to work usually. I rarely need a briefcase, but when I do, I have a Goldpfeil Oxford briefcase. Once in a while, I'll carry a black leather portfolio by Tanner Krolle.

itzamazing

Reaction score
I find messenger bags to be nice, but troublesome with work outfits (clothes seem to get wrinkled easily and they can be bulky).

I carry a dark brown Bally suede, I guess what you would call a tote but with a more rectangular shape. It has served me well and I really like the shape.  

I also have a Prada messenger bag in a lighter brown color made of canvas that I picked up at a sample sale for $250. It has held up well. I use this for my more casual days.

Amazingly, I am in need of a black leather carrybag as I do not have one now. I have a Tumi messenger bag from college but I would like to make an upgrade to something in black leather, preferrably a tote type style. Hopefully with these after Xmas sales, I can find something.  

I too, have had friends (females) who say Coach quality has declined terribly. I always thought they were a reputable leather retailer but I have heard many others saying this is not the case.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Well, I'm on the lower end of this, I suppose. I have a soft brown leather Samsonite briefcase, a black leather Kenneth Cole "Porter" bag and a black nylon with brown leather trim Eddie Bauer. I use the last on trips when I'm taking the laptop.

spinlps

Reaction score
I have three bags in the rotation:

Work / Travel: Black messenger-like bag from Ubiquity Records. Tons of pockets for cell, iPod, cords & cables plus two large inside sections: one for the laptop, one to hold up to 20 - 25 LP's.

Formal Work: Chocolate Brown Leather Kenneth Cole Briefcase

Casual / Academic: Just received a Jack Spade Tank Nylon/Canvas Field Bag

I'm looking for a black leather bag as well, but don't want to spend too much on it. I've been slumming it at TJ Maxx and Marshalls' and stumbled onto a nice black Coach bag tonight, but decided against it as it was still $250+.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used a Coach briefcase for a couple of years now - it turned out to be a real piece of junk. Based on my experience I'd say avoid Coach at all costs. I just bought an item on ebay that's been on my wish list for a really long time - A Swaine Adeney Brigg briefcase... It should last a whole heck of a lot longer than the Coach did.
Which Brigg briefcase did you buy? Which color? Which style? I have owned a leather brief bag made by Atlas of Boston for 13 years now, and it is still going strong, after much abuse. The 18 inch "Churchill" model in dark brown: http://www.classicluggage.com/BRIEFCA....01.html The leather just looks better and better with age, although I've had to replace the handles once, and get some of the stitching resewn. If my trusty Atlas ever wears out, I would consider a briefbag by Brigg. They look similarly sturdy. Kai

MPS

Reaction score
I have a chestnut coloured leather briefcase from Ede & Ravenscroft. It's of the same standard as Brigg.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Which Brigg briefcase did you buy? Â Which color? Â Which style? Â
I bought it on ebay so I wasn't sure of the exact model name. www.classicluggage.com calls it the "top-frame document case." The color is a light tan (fairly vivid) bridle-hide. I've been thoroughly enjoying it. I also have an A. Testoni soft briefcase for when I need to carry less items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads