A little background. I have been using blackberrys for the last 5 years or so. After waiting, waiting more waiting for RIM to bring out a decent product I decided to leave them for good. The new Z & Q look nice but I'm gone. C Ya!
I am off contract but still grandfathered in with AT&T's unlimited calls/data plan. I'm not much of an app person, basically use my phone for calls, texting, random photos and music (I have bought about 4 ipods but own none. Go figure). The top choices in no particular order were:
- Galaxy 3
- Lumia 920
Ease of use
Many popular apps
No SD card slot
Apple's philosophy about knowing what is best for the consumer
It's the Honda Accord of cel phones
Samsung Galaxy GS3
SD card slot
Easy to root
Almost too light - feels cheap
Android has a new flavour every other month it seems
Android phones tend to get hardware updates relatively quickly leing the user with an old looking phone
Feels solid in the hand
Great stabilization for camera
Great screen with gorgeous colours
No SD card slot
Fake picture fiasco (any pictures other than in low light were not very impressive)
In the end it seems I went off the deep end and chose something totally unexpected
Yes the Symbian monster 41 megapixel wonder, the Nokia 808. Why you might ask? It is the final Symbian phone from Nokia.
1. Feels solid in the hand
2. Pictures are the best in its class. The 8 mp pureview pics are gorgeous. Even gives lower price DSLRs a run for their money
3. Video recording is great, especially the sound.
4. SD card slot. I bought a 64 gig sd card as well
5. It reads just about anything you throw at it, audio or visual with no converting. Just drag & drop
6. Root access. I can customize to my heart is content
7. I will tire of it long before Nokia stops supporting Symbian (2015 or so)
8. For such a "low resolution screen", pictures and videos look just fine plus I can view in direct sunlight.
9. Unique factor
The only con I have that there is no videochat on skype, only voice calls. That is it.
I'm 4 days in and I'm lovin it