• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Reaction score
How do these size up ? I'm a us 9 and since these only come in us 8.5 or 9.5 should i size up or down ? I should also add that i have fairly wide feet and i'm ordering online.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea how they run size-wise, but I was wondering where I could get these?

scoon0224

Reaction score
the European size is more accurate.

42 is like a 9.5. In my experience 41 is more like a small 9 than an 8.5

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would size up. I have a pair in 44 (US 11, which is my size in most brands). I tried a pair in 43, but they were not comfortable at all, which sort of defeats the purpose of Springcourts.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can call Tani NYC; they do phone orders. However, they didn't sound too psyched about returns when I asked, so I'd be sure you're confident in what size you order. It also didn't sound as though they carried 46s, so I opted out - I'm a 12 and from the sound of things, a 45 won't get it done.

Brian SD

Reaction score
So here's where we start it up and condense all the threads people start to ask specific, personal questions that could be answered by one person. So from here on out, I ask that you please: - DO NOT post a new thread to ask a question about sizing, stretching, etc. I'm going to be putting together a wiki in the future that will have all these questions archived and answered, so please help us out and ask questions here. - DO NOT PM the moderators to ask a question related to the above things. Personal PMs, questions about the forum, etc. are fine but I've had to answer the same exact questions about my Sterlingwear peacoat to about 5 different people, when I could have just posted it here once (just one example of many). As you can all see, the front page of our forum is pretty packed and there's not much room for new threads. That's just the price to pay when you have a dozen awesome affiliates giving us good deals on clothing. So to keep things clean here and make sure that all the threads are something that members can have input on, I'm going to be a vigilant nazi about moving questions to the Small Questions thread. This applies especially to posters under 100 posts, and especially especially to members under 10 posts. When you're posting a new thread, consider if you think it might reach more than one page of posts on it. If you're asking a question like, "Do you guys wear your jeans cuffed or stacked?" or "How long should I soak my APCs?" or "Do you know what brand this is?" This is just one thing that I'm trying to help alleviate the issue we've been having where the front page is half pinned threads, and half threads a person started to ask a question that they are the only person who would benefit it being answered. If you haven't noticed, the small questions thread has been getting lots of views and I'd say the likelihood of getting your specific question answered is very high. That said, I don't want to intimidate you guys from posting new threads. In fact, I'd like to encourage it more, especially if you have a new brand you discovered, went to a new store you liked, have a funny story related to this, etc. If you have a problem with this method or think it's a bad idea or have suggestions on how to go about it, feel free to PM me because I'm open to discussion and I'm willing to try anything in my power to help this forum continue to get better and better. I've already heard some great viewpoints on the matter and most people seem to be in favor of a general "cleaning up" as far as threads go.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so what size should i buy my new cures in if i wear an 11 in nike and xl in magnums?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'll start it off by putting a question I received in PM:

Hey Brian, I got some questions to ask you. I notice that you got the NS Raw and I'm wondering what is your true waist size? Did you went down two sizes as recommended when you bought your NS? Or you went down three? Some people said that after a month, the jeans will stretch so much that they will need a belt. Did you find that to be the case?

I normally wear size 29 for my jeans, but since the NS Raw is untreated, I'm not sure what to get. I tried the size 27 at Stels and it was really tight, but it's only two sizes down from the size that I normally wear. Someone said I should go down three as it'll stretch to the point that I will need a belt. What do you think? How much did your jeans stretch?

Thanks!
\t

I bought a size 30 NS Raw, my true waist (where my jeans sit) measures out about 32." I didn't size down at all and it was a mistake, I should have gone with a 29. I could have swung a 28 but the NS's are ballbusters. I ended up giving them to my roommate who normally wears 31 jeans and they fit him perfectly.

If you tried on the 27 and it was too tight, don't buy them. The new standards are a regular fit jean and they are not meant to be tight. Look at the APC catalogue for examples of them properly worn. If you normally wear a 29, consider a 28 or 29.

My jeans didn't stretch at all.. Almost none of my jeans have done any noticeable amount of stretching, but maybe it's because I don't size down 2+ sizes.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
so what size should i buy my new cures in if i wear an 11 in nike and xl in magnums?

That depends. Do you keep a XL magnum in your pants? If so, size up to accomodate - I hear cures are slimmer than APCs other jeans. You should get a pretty good cock fade though.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha. Does anyone know what size New Cures in 34 measure in the waist, hem, knee, and thigh?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I bought a size 30 NS Raw, my true waist (where my jeans sit) measures out about 32." I didn't size down at all and it was a mistake, I should have gone with a 29. I could have swung a 28 but the NS's are ballbusters. I ended up giving them to my roommate who normally wears 31 jeans and they fit him perfectly.

If you tried on the 27 and it was too tight, don't buy them. The new standards are a regular fit jean and they are not meant to be tight. Look at the APC catalogue for examples of them properly worn. If you normally wear a 29, consider a 28 or 29.

My jeans didn't stretch at all.. Almost none of my jeans have done any noticeable amount of stretching, but maybe it's because I don't size down 2+ sizes.

Okay, Brian, I mean this as nicely as possible, and feel free to flame me for saying so, but this is confusing as sh** for newbs.

We have an APC thread full of the same advice over and over: size down 2, they should be tight when you buy them, they will stretch a ton - and here you say exactly the opposite. The APC web site also says "by your choice of size, you may wear them tight, normal or baggy", and yet you say they are not meant to be worn tight. You say you didn't size down and it was a mistake, and then tell the guy to consider buying his normal waist size. Your response almost reads like a parody of the APC sizing thread.

I'm on the record as not minding quick question threads, but I understand your desire to try and limit them; however, people need clear and consistent information if we're going to do that.

Qzar

Reaction score
I am washing my raw jeans for the first time and I was looking for some advice. I want to keep the color dark so I was wondering what I could do to help keep the indigo on the jean (obviously I know some of the indigo will come off but I hear water temperature could help). Thank you for your help.

Brian SD

Reaction score
PC New Standards are not a tight jean unless you have bulky thighs and glutes. If you want a tight jean, get Nudie Thin Finns or something. Sizing down 2 sizes is IMO, stupid, and sizing down 3 is ridiculous. If you're a masochist and you like your jeans to leave marks and blood blisters on your hips for the first three months go ahead. LA Guy can back me up. You can size down one (slim), size normal (regular) or size up (baggy). Sizing down 2+ sizes is going to make your jeans like Geowu's old APCs, where they stretch so much that the buttons are visible because the fly is being pulled apart. You don't want your jeans to look like they're straining to fit on you. There are *PLENTY* of options for skinny jeans these days. You don't have to size down on APCs to achieve it. I maintain that jeans are supposed to be comfortable when you first buy them. If they are not comfortable, you bought the wrong size. If you're afraid of stretching them and them becoming too baggy, get a different pair of jeans. That said, Rescues are sized ridiculously. If you're getting Rescues, you need to size down 2 sizes to get a proper waist fit.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qzar
I am washing my raw jeans for the first time and I was looking for some advice. I want to keep the color dark so I was wondering what I could do to help keep the indigo on the jean (obviously I know some of the indigo will come off but I hear water temperature could help). Thank you for your help.

Soak them in cold water with a mild detergent (Dr. Bronner's soap is great for this) or a dark laundry detergent (Woolite Dark, for instance). Use a stick or your hand to spin them around a little, but don't agitate them too much. This should result in minimal indigo loss but still clean them up.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to repair a crotch that's not quite blown apart, but it's days are numbered? Could I get away with a piece of denim or canvas on the inside, and just machine stitch all over the place on the outside, or would that lead to an additional weakening of the denim? Maybe sandwiching the crotch with denim on the inside and outside then stitching just the perimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads