or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › (Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here - Page 9  

post #121 of 12663
are raw levis 505s desirable?

A store I frequent is clearing out all their raw 505s, orange AND red tab $5 a pair.
post #122 of 12663
at 5 dollars a pair you might as well grab some.
post #123 of 12663
can anyone recommend a some nice raw/onewash denim for girls that is flare and similar to the ironheart tomboy but with not so heavy denim? these are the perfect dimensions for jeans i want to get my girl, but they're too heavy. Anyone know a rakuten shop that sells ironheart to US? id did some searching around but couldnt find one. and straight from ironheart website they are like 250 but i saw something about someone getting them from jp for around 160. http://www.ironheart.co.uk/html/indigo106.htm
post #124 of 12663
When buying at stores like H&M, Macy's, Gap, and Banana Republic, how do you avoid "trendy" stuff? What stuff do you try to avoid?
post #125 of 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse later View Post
When buying at stores like H&M, Macy's, Gap, and Banana Republic, how do you avoid "trendy" stuff? What stuff do you try to avoid?

H&M stuff is trendy but unobjectionable for the most part when you're buying from the 'hipster' section (the one with all the black white and grey )

The way to avoid trendy stuff at the other stores is simply not to shop there. Personally I can't tell you when the last time was I found something i liked at those stores, outside of the GAP cardigan which is impossible to find in XS. I do like banana republic V-necks though because the neck is higher and has a sharper line.

SHE IS PLAYING ELTON JOHN NOW. Jesus I want to go home. ONE MORE HOUR AND I'M OUT OF HERE.
post #126 of 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
H&M stuff is trendy but unobjectionable for the most part when you're buying from the 'hipster' section (the one with all the black white and grey ) The way to avoid trendy stuff at the other stores is simply not to shop there. Personally I can't tell you when the last time was I found something i liked at those stores, outside of the GAP cardigan which is impossible to find in XS. I do like banana republic V-necks though because the neck is higher and has a sharper line. SHE IS PLAYING ELTON JOHN NOW. Jesus I want to go home. ONE MORE HOUR AND I'M OUT OF HERE.
I don't understand where most of you guys shop then. Nearly every decent store in the mall is ruled out in this forum--Express, Gap, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. I mean, I realize no one's forcing me to not shop at these stores, but I would like to learn fashion in a more detailed sense and not look like a "me too" kind of guy. No offense to the guys in the WAYWN thread, since they obviously know fashion better than I do, but a lot of the stuff they're wearing seems trendy. Someone enlighten me here.
post #127 of 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse later View Post
I don't understand where most of you guys shop then. Nearly every decent store in the mall is ruled out in this forum--Express, Gap, Banana Republic, H&M, etc. I mean, I realize no one's forcing me to not shop at these stores, but I would like to learn fashion in a more detailed sense and not look like a "me too" kind of guy.

No offense to the guys in the WAYWN thread, since they obviously know fashion better than I do, but a lot of the stuff they're wearing seems trendy.

Someone enlighten me here.

There are plenty of things at H&M that aren't "trendy" and even those that are, are just fine. Shirts are not going to go out of style. Pick some in patterns you like. Solids and stripes are going to be fairly timeless, and even check/plaid etc, are probably fine. They're kinda trendy now, but they'll come back every once and then, it's nice to have a few such pieces in your wardrobe. It's becoming spring, so linen and short sleeved cotton shirts might be some good things to buy. If you don't want to be "trendy" then get them in pretty basic patterns and colors.

I would pick up a nice pair of dark dry jeans from one of the affiliates, there's hundreds of recommendations on the forums, but APC or Nudies are solid picks. Add a few nice shirts from H&M, maybe a sportcoat or two, and you'll be good to go.
post #128 of 12663
I've been wearing my denim a bit baggier recently (used to wear low rise/bootcut and simply tighter jeans) but have been wearing skinnier denim recently and have been buying them a bit larger (i wore 30x30 in most lowrise bootcuts, and have been bought sz. 32 in my thinn finns and slim jims-and i think they look better/fit me in a way I like better). I want to purchase a pair of APC Hipsters and the denim bar says to buy them two sizes smaller than my true waist size, so so you guys thing I should get a 30 or 28/29 if i want them to fit a bit more loosely after a bit of wear? edit: thanks for the move-still new here (as you can see).
post #129 of 12663
Apocolypse: What a lot of people around these forums do is buy basics at places like h&m, american apparel and other stores that sell decent fitting, slim shirts and jackets. However, most people go to other sources(online stores, specialty boutiques, etc...) for their big pieces such as jeans, certain jackets and it's always nice to pay a bit more for a few pieces that'll last, fit perfectly and are exactly what you're looking for aesthetic wise. It's not out of the question for a good amount of people here to wear $250 jeans, a $150 hoodie, a $15 tee, and a $40 pair of chucks. You don't have to dress top to bottom in expensive designer pieces to look good. However with certain items like jeans, boots and certain other pieces, it's usually better to invest. It's always a good idea for buying clothes if you're just starting out to buy some investment pieces along with basics. By basics, i have a tshirt or two from the gap, a few american apparel shirts, and some from urban outfitters and even a button down western/plaid/check shirt from american eagle and lucky brand. However, none of these having logos or recognizable qualities that people will know where i bought them from. Even from designer brands i don't like to wear the brand on my chest. It's better to get your style from the fit of your clothes, the sillhouette you produce, and the kind of aesthetic you give off (westerny, dior chic, industrial, more casual, etc...) rather from logos, brands and graphics. Hope that helps. It took me awhile and a few phases of clothes shopping to get the hang of it to where i feel like i know what i'm doing somewhat when i buy clothes.
post #130 of 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
Apocolypse: What a lot of people around these forums do is buy basics at places like h&m, american apparel and other stores that sell decent fitting, slim shirts and jackets. However, most people go to other sources(online stores, specialty boutiques, etc...) for their big pieces such as jeans, certain jackets and it's always nice to pay a bit more for a few pieces that'll last, fit perfectly and are exactly what you're looking for aesthetic wise. It's not out of the question for a good amount of people here to wear $250 jeans, a $150 hoodie, a $15 tee, and a $40 pair of chucks. You don't have to dress top to bottom in expensive designer pieces to look good. However with certain items like jeans, boots and certain other pieces, it's usually better to invest. It's always a good idea for buying clothes if you're just starting out to buy some investment pieces along with basics.

By basics, i have a tshirt or two from the gap, a few american apparel shirts, and some from urban outfitters and even a button down western/plaid/check shirt from american eagle and lucky brand. However, none of these having logos or recognizable qualities that people will know where i bought them from. Even from designer brands i don't like to wear the brand on my chest. It's better to get your style from the fit of your clothes, the sillhouette you produce, and the kind of aesthetic you give off (westerny, dior chic, industrial, more casual, etc...) rather from logos, brands and graphics.

Hope that helps. It took me awhile and a few phases of clothes shopping to get the hang of it to where i feel like i know what i'm doing somewhat when i buy clothes.

Thanks, that makes sense.
post #131 of 12663
I refuse to buy hoodie for 150 dollars. I find it completely ridiculous. Nudie's hoodie for 180 for example... simply ridiculous. Not to mention 80 dollar t shirts...
post #132 of 12663
What do you guys consider "basics" then? Obviously white, black, and colored solid t-shirts, underwear, and socks, but is there anything else? I was thinking also a regular grey V-neck sweater as well as a white cotton dress coat. Any more? I'm not at the age where I need a suit or anything yet.

Also, you guys seem to own a ton of jackets, at least the guys in the WAYWN thread. How many should you own? I kind of was brought up to have one jacket for winter, one for spring/fall, and I never wore one for summer. Obviously that's different for you guys. Any suggestions on different jackets? I checked H&M today and I really liked some of the regular green, khaki, or blue colored ones.
post #133 of 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse later View Post
What do you guys consider "basics" then? Obviously white, black, and colored solid t-shirts, underwear, and socks, but is there anything else? I was thinking also a regular grey V-neck sweater as well as a white cotton dress coat. Any more? I'm not at the age where I need a suit or anything yet.

Also, you guys seem to own a ton of jackets, at least the guys in the WAYWN thread. How many should you own? I kind of was brought up to have one jacket for winter, one for spring/fall, and I never wore one for summer. Obviously that's different for you guys. Any suggestions on different jackets? I checked H&M today and I really liked some of the regular green, khaki, or blue colored ones.

Look, you only need one jacket, one pair of trousers, one pair of underwear, a pair of shoes and a pair of socks. And a shirt of some sort . What the real question issue is, however, is what you, I, and everyone else here fancies. For instance I don't need the sheer amount of socks I have (I just realised that I have two drawers full). And I am looking at more that look good to me.
Just pick and choose what you like and makes sense to you. If you are comfortable with one jacket that you like, then that is all you need. The peeps here will be able to help you at least sort through the rubbish out there and guide you to what the quality is like on various garments as well as expose you to many things you may not have seen before.
post #134 of 12663
Right now I've got 5 jackets. 1 heavy winter jacket, 1 peacoat, 1 military style jacket, 1 linen jacket, and 1 lightweight pullover thing (I guess it's sort of like a wind breaker). The heavy winter jacket is for when it's cold out. I usually don't pair it with too many outfits. I wear it out of necessity. The peacoat is for dressier outfits during the fall/winter. I like wearing the military style jacket with hoodies because the hood sits nicely in the back. (see my WAYWN post from today) I've been wearing the linen jacket (It is from MJK) with just about everything except hoodies. It's a really light jacket so it's only good spring/summer. Finally, I wear the windbreaker pullover thing with t-shirts/polos during the summer. I still need a jacket for my suit but I'm in no rush to buy one.
post #135 of 12663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazy View Post
Right now I've got 5 jackets. 1 heavy winter jacket, 1 peacoat, 1 military style jacket, 1 linen jacket, and 1 lightweight pullover thing (I guess it's sort of like a wind breaker).

The heavy winter jacket is for when it's cold out. I usually don't pair it with too many outfits. I wear it out of necessity.

The peacoat is for dressier outfits during the fall/winter.

I like wearing the military style jacket with hoodies because the hood sits nicely in the back. (see my WAYWN post from today)

I've been wearing the linen jacket (It is from MJK) with just about everything except hoodies. It's a really light jacket so it's only good spring/summer.

Finally, I wear the windbreaker pullover thing with t-shirts/polos during the summer.

I still need a jacket for my suit but I'm in no rush to buy one.

That proves my need versus covet argument. You at least live somewhere cold yet I have just as many jackets. If not more
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › (Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here