or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispins: How Lasted Shoe Trees Are Made
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

St. Crispins: How Lasted Shoe Trees Are Made

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thought this was a really cool video.

http://vimeo.com/52977792

Reminds me why C&J lasted trees cost $100
post #2 of 13
This video has been posted multiple times throughout this forum but it never gets old smile.gif Great music and great handicraft.
post #3 of 13
thanks!
post #4 of 13
gorgeous
post #5 of 13
Yes, they are lovely to look at. Respect is due to the artisans and their carving skills ofcourse. But hollowing out the trees as I see it, is wasting wood and serves no justifiable purpose. True, hollowing the trees out makes them feather-lite but seriously, if a solid shoe tree is too heavy to lift then so are the shoes and if the shoes are too heavy then slippers and bedrest is in order. stirpot.gif
post #6 of 13

Cool, thanks for posting.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

Yes, they are lovely to look at. Respect is due to the artisans and their carving skills ofcourse. But hollowing out the trees as I see it, is wasting wood and serves no justifiable purpose. True, hollowing the trees out makes them feather-lite but seriously, if a solid shoe tree is too heavy to lift then so are the shoes and if the shoes are too heavy then slippers and bedrest is in order. stirpot.gif

It's not really wasting wood though in the sense that you are not using up anymore wood than you would be if you left the trees unhollowed. Hollowed out trees have certain benefits (much lighter when travelling, allows more air to circulate inside the shoe while the tree is in etc), and so given no more wood is ultimately used as a result of the process i'm not sure what the problem is.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dib View Post

It's not really wasting wood though in the sense that you are not using up anymore wood than you would be if you left the trees unhollowed. Hollowed out trees have certain benefits (much lighter when travelling, allows more air to circulate inside the shoe while the tree is in etc), and so given no more wood is ultimately used as a result of the process i'm not sure what the problem is.

You raise an inarguable point. I sit corrected and thank you. smile.gif
post #9 of 13

Hadn't seen this before. Thanks for the link.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Thought this was a really cool video.

http://vimeo.com/52977792

Reminds me why C&J lasted trees cost $100

yeah, you would think that in this day and age, they could be made quicker, easier, and more cost efficiently. yet its just another reminder of the work and effort that goes into high-end, luxury shoes. its a timeless craft
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Thought this was a really cool video.

http://vimeo.com/52977792

Reminds me why C&J lasted trees cost $100

 

old transcoded video.

 

C&J trees are NOT lasted and doesn't actually costs much less than $100 at all.  They are made by industrial last-copying machines.  Not hand measured/crafted like in the case of St Crispin.  Only in non-industrialized countries/areas do these crafts survive.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


yeah, you would think that in this day and age, they could be made quicker, easier, and more cost efficiently. yet its just another reminder of the work and effort that goes into high-end shoes. its a timeless craft

 

Talk to Springline or J&V, they can copy your last or make your new lasts in an industrial manner.  Or find someone with a last cloning machine. 

 

Just need to learn how to use a drill to make the hollowed trees. 

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Talk to Springline or J&V, they can copy your last or make your new lasts in an industrial manner.  Or find someone with a last cloning machine. 

Just need to learn how to use a drill to make the hollowed trees. 

thanks man. just find someone with a last cloning machine...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › St. Crispins: How Lasted Shoe Trees Are Made