or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 645

post #9661 of 23719

I don't have experience wearing either, but I did go with the Hove because it looks a little sleeker and I like the hatch pattern.  Planning on wearing in business environment.  But I would wear with dark denim.  I need to see a Dover in real life first to decide if I want to commit serious dollars, but that has proven difficult.  There is something about the proportion of the toe area that I keep seeing in pictures, and I can't tell whether it's the picture or if that's how they really are.  

post #9662 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoKey View Post

@FrankCowperwood
: If it helps, my feet are above average width and instep with a narrow heel.  This is my sizing: 

UK10 in Soller and Rain. I'm typically a 9.5UK, but need the extra half size for width.   
363Mod UK10: more voluminous in instep and slightly more length than I need.  The width is plentiful.  I probably could've sized down to 9.5UK.

Thanks

fistbump.gif
post #9663 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90shilling View Post

Can anybody chime in on the EG Dover vs. the G&G Hove (MH71)? Or can you not go wrong either way? I am leaning towards the Hove which would be my first G&G. Trying to decide which would go best with odd trousers/denim: Vintage Rioja, Vintage Oak, or the Oak Hatch grain on the site. 

Sounds like you already decided. Besides looks, fit is what matters. 202 and 606 fit differently than mh71. I echo JS, dover is more casual and country while hove is a tad more city. Gg has the hove in Rioja though as a stock model so something to think about. I much prefer dove btw
post #9664 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I'm a Hove guy, but i'm the minority here. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

Having said that, the Dover would probably go best if you are leaning more towards the casual side..

 

What color did you go with for your Hoves? From the photos in the G&G thread (pig bristle stitching discussion), looks like vintage oak? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist View Post


Sounds like you already decided. Besides looks, fit is what matters. 202 and 606 fit differently than mh71. I echo JS, dover is more casual and country while hove is a tad more city. Gg has the hove in Rioja though as a stock model so something to think about. I much prefer dove btw

 

In your case, did you go with the Dover over the Hove due to the last/fit preference? Or was the oak hatch grain on the Hove just not the aesthetic you were looking for? 

post #9665 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90shilling View Post

What color did you go with for your Hoves? From the photos in the G&G thread (pig bristle stitching discussion), looks like vintage oak? 


In your case, did you go with the Dover over the Hove due to the last/fit preference? Or was the oak hatch grain on the Hove just not the aesthetic you were looking for? 

It was redundant and fit wasn't as good. Color was very similar and hatch effect wasn't enough to differentiate itself from the smooth calf. I also prefer the look of the dover. It's classic and makes sense to me as a casual derby. Hove is more modernized. Less eyelets and more sleek, the design makes it look like it's trying to blend the city look within a country design. Considering how I'd wear them this is incongruent with the clothes they'd be worn with. It's really personal tastes. The hove is an imitation of the dover and I prefer the real deal.
post #9666 of 23719
@Leaves

Is there any way we can get EG to make a boot version of the Grasmere?
post #9667 of 23719
Black Carmina Jumpers orderd. First EGs ordered as well- MTO Galways.

Thank you SF enablers. And curse you as well.
post #9668 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist View Post
 The hove is an imitation of the dover and I prefer the real deal.

 

Shots fired!

post #9669 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Black Carmina Jumpers orderd. First EGs ordered as well- MTO Galways.

Thank you SF enablers. And curse you as well.

That's upping your boot game in a hurry. Two real winners there.
post #9670 of 23719
I blame - I mean OWE you, @RogerP - and I'll have my revenge. Here or on TWAT. mark it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

That's upping your boot game in a hurry. Two real winners there.
post #9671 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Black Carmina Jumpers orderd. First EGs ordered as well- MTO Galways.

Thank you SF enablers. And curse you as well.

 

What Galways did you MTO?

post #9672 of 23719
Sorry my mistake - it was the preorder for the DOAK. New to this whole shoe thing..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

What Galways did you MTO?
post #9673 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Sorry my mistake - it was the preorder for the DOAK. New to this whole shoe thing..

 

Still a great boot.  It's an incredible deal so congrats!

post #9674 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90shilling View Post
 

Can anybody chime in on the EG Dover vs. the G&G Hove (MH71)? Or can you not go wrong either way? I am leaning towards the Hove which would be my first G&G. Trying to decide which would go best with odd trousers/denim: Vintage Rioja, Vintage Oak, or the Oak Hatch grain on the site. 


I echo some of the comments made previously. My first objective would be fit, then style (Dover which appears a bit more casual than the Hove). Not sure if it means anything to you or not but the Dover as stated earlier is something EG is known for. EG basically set the standard here. In regards to quality I doubt there is much difference whatsoever between the two.

 

I have only one Dover, but if I were to get another split toe I would probably get another Dover.

post #9675 of 23719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90shilling View Post
 

Can anybody chime in on the EG Dover vs. the G&G Hove (MH71)? Or can you not go wrong either way? I am leaning towards the Hove which would be my first G&G. Trying to decide which would go best with odd trousers/denim: Vintage Rioja, Vintage Oak, or the Oak Hatch grain on the site. 

 

I'd also try to try on shoes in those lasts if possible.  That helped to make a decision for me. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread