or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 1173

post #17581 of 23835
Here's a quick comparison between Forest and 946. It doesn't look like it because the back of the Forest overhangs the heel stack a bit more, but the heels of both were aligned with a straight edge. Also note the lacing, the 946 has a much higher instep.

post #17582 of 23835
I'll say the quality of leather with Carmina is slightly better than EB. I have 4 Carmina and 2 EB
post #17583 of 23835
I find my EBs to be nicer than my carminas.
post #17584 of 23835
Me and I know many others think EB Suede is superior to Carmina suede. The amount of choices is great too. Outside of polo suede I'm not sure I dig Carmina suede. The MTO is where it's at though. You can't MTO with Carmina without paying GG prices. I'd love to MTO a frankenstitch shell jumper or if they had a better looking NST boot with the new stitching.
post #17585 of 23835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

I'll say the quality of leather with Carmina is slightly better than EB. I have 4 Carmina and 2 EB


Somehow I am surprised to hear to hear this, and maybe that's because like @Ironist said the suede is superior to Carmina's suede or maybe it's because they just cost more so I expected the leather to be better.

post #17586 of 23835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaasih View Post
 

Wow you guys convinced me :wow: What EB last is most comparable to Carmina's Simpson last? I am a 9UK in Simpsons; should I go with the same size for EB?


The 804 is the nearest to Simpson I know, but you definitely have to size down half a size. I am also 9 in Simpson, despite my feet being more 8.5 wide. Still, the Simpson fits perfect. The 804 in 8.5 is minimally tighter in the front (it looks wide but the last is quite flat in the front). The heel is wider though, just like the Rain last.

post #17587 of 23835

Imo, if Simpson fits you well, then most likely EB lasts will have too high an instep for you. 

 

My opinion of the two:

  • Overall, EB > Carmina for me.
  • EB leather has nicer depth (? for a lack of better word). I wouldn't call Carmina leather poor but I personally don't like their non Vegano calf leathers.
  • EB QC is probably a lot better and I would buy EB just for this reason alone if the prices are similar.
  • Hand vs GYW.
  • 15% vs 50% MTO fee.

 

Carmina does have some interesting designs and they are not a bad choice by any means but I wouldn't buy them if EB is just slightly pricier. 

post #17588 of 23835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwy View Post
 

Imo, if Simpson fits you well, then most likely EB lasts will have too high an instep for you. 

 

My opinion of the two:

  • Overall, EB > Carmina for me.
  • EB leather has nicer depth (? for a lack of better word). I wouldn't call Carmina leather poor but I personally don't like their non Vegano calf leathers.
  • EB QC is probably a lot better and I would buy EB just for this reason alone if the prices are similar.
  • Hand vs GYW.
  • 15% vs 50% MTO fee.

 

Carmina does have some interesting designs and they are not a bad choice by any means but I wouldn't buy them if EB is just slightly pricier. 

 

I would add the following: EB uses (seemed that to me) leather to stiffen the heels and the front of the shoe, whereas carmina probably doesn't like most "industrial" brands. I also think (must say never been able to visit an industrial shoemaking factory yet) there is much more handwork evolved in an EB shoe than in a Carmina. To cite Massimo Bonafé: we use handwork for the operations we think a machine can't do better. And, again personal opinion, I think machine can't do much better most things. A notable advantage is the stitching of the different parts of the uppers together, even bespoke makers use a stitching machine.

 

 

The major drawback of a lot of handwork is … the time you have to wait until you receive your shoes.

 

Now: must say I like Carmina too and have a couple of them, since they have nice styles, offer a decent quality (for the price) and have a nice range of lasts. But the next ones will be from Enzo Bonafè

post #17589 of 23835
I am tempted to try Bonafe but one impression I have is that their most famous lasts are the square ones. You don't seem to see round lasted shoes that much around.
post #17590 of 23835
Quote:
Originally Posted by cezinho View Post

I am tempted to try Bonafe but one impression I have is that their most famous lasts are the square ones. You don't seem to see round lasted shoes that much around.


363MOD on left, 804 on right.
post #17591 of 23835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post


Somehow I am surprised to hear to hear this, and maybe that's because like @Ironist
 said the suede is superior to Carmina's suede or maybe it's because they just cost more so I expected the leather to be better.

I should have been more clear. No experience with EB suede.

Somewhat specifically referring to longevity, creasing, and on the EB the leather seems a little more delicate. I have 10 yo wholecut that look better than 1 YO EB.


EB colors and finishing are defiantly better.
Can't compete with EB options and craftsmanship at this price
post #17592 of 23835
I believe the natur calf you can compare to EB calf. The vegano leather is crust, that is the leather they seem to use more for their shoes. I personally like the vegano much better and has a nicer more natural feel. Dont like the natur that much. Its important to take into account which type of calf of carmina you guys are making comparison with.
post #17593 of 23835

I believe if there is any question in your mind the difference between Carmina and EB in terms of quality and craftsmanship, then maybe this video will give you some insight. Courtesy of Parisian Gentleman. That's just my two cents. BTW I hope the link works, this is my first post. If not you can go to youtube and type in Enzo Bonafe (video is just over 5min).

post #17594 of 23835
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post


Somehow I am surprised to hear to hear this, and maybe that's because like @Ironist
 said the suede is superior to Carmina's suede or maybe it's because they just cost more so I expected the leather to be better.
This is correct from my understanding & I will confirm it Tuesday biggrin.gif
post #17595 of 23835

I'm sure it varies with different batches, but EB calf does seem slightly thinner than others. Part of the difference is the interior leather lining...it is obviously thinner and adds to that perception. With the overall construction and fit/style (804), I'm willing to overlook it though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread