or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 940

post #14086 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post

This practice is known as "Showrooming" in the retail industry. I dont want to get on my soapbox about all the reasons it isnt cool, but to think that things are just as easy as adjusting pricing is a bit naive. Also, though they may not stock the item in question, they can certainly order it unless.

Good for you. I have always enjoyed your posts and I am glad you've come to this decision cheers.gif

Has it crossed your mind that there might be reasons they havent lowered their prices? Maybe they have a MAP agreement. Maybe they dont enjoy the margin that Skoak receives. Maybe Carmina has a pricing strategy for the US different from the EU. Regardless, I have great news: You dont have to buy from another retailer. If you do choose to go to a brick and mortar store for the express reason to use their services in order to buy from another vendor however, I think thats a pretty douchey move. Did you ask them to price match? Did you give them the opportunity to make the sale?

Its no different than going to a lawyer, having them prepare documents and do research for you and then paying another attorney for the work. You can try and justify this to yourself however you want, but the bottom line is you are hurting someone's business. I'm sure the guys at Skoak would feel the same way about people doing it to them.

It isnt illegal and no one can stop you from doing it, but I think it says a lot about people who do this kind of thing. Happy shopping
Wow, glad you can make all sorts if moral judgments about me based on my decision to try a pair of shoes on in a store where I'm expected to pay 60% more than I pay at another comparable retailer. Didn't realize it was my moral compass that's out if whack. Seriously though, if Carmina is providing duch drastically different margins for different retailers that seems like it's something you should take up with them, not me. Also - let's be real - the retailer probably spent all of 5 mins taking a box of shoes out for me. Again, all I said that is I don't find doing this any more wrong than a retailer charging 60% more than they know I can find a similar shoe for at another retailer. I suppose you're right in that I could have asked them to price match, but I think that would have been, in your words, a rather douchey thing to do as well.

In any case, I'll now wait for Leaves' explanation as I'm positive he understands this far better than you or I.
post #14087 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljlakers View Post


Wow, glad you can make all sorts if moral judgments about me based on my decision to try a pair of shoes on in a store where I'm expected to pay 60% more than I pay at another comparable retailer. Didn't realize it was my moral compass that's out if whack. Seriously though, if Carmina is providing duch drastically different margins for different retailers that seems like it's something you should take up with them, not me. Also - let's be real - the retailer probably spent all of 5 mins taking a box of shoes out for me. Again, all I said that is I don't find doing this any more wrong than a retailer charging 60% more than they know I can find a similar shoe for at another retailer. I suppose you're right in that I could have asked them to price match, but I think that would have been, in your words, a rather douchey thing to do as well.

In any case, I'll now wait for Leaves' explanation as I'm positive he understands this far better than you or I.


Glad I could help. And if you think that retailer is only spending 5 minutes on this then you are mistaken. They are importing the shoes, paying for stock, overhead, etc, etc, blah, blah... Do I seriously need to explain this to you?

 

If it doesnt bother you to do this to someone, then fine, keep doing it. I will keep thinking its a douchebag move. Thats fair, right?

 

Also, giving the retailer that you're Showrooming the opportunity to pricematch isnt douchey, but it would tell them you are Showrooming and they might magically never have another shoe in your size again...

post #14088 of 23683
Lolz. Perhaps it's best for Leaves to explain, and let's get back to the primary business of talking shoes and new orders and styles. Cheers.
post #14089 of 23683
How about finding a different thread for your point of view? Pretty far off track and this is an affiliate thread
post #14090 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post



Glad I could help. And if you think that retailer is only spending 5 minutes on this then you are mistaken. They are importing the shoes, paying for stock, overhead, etc, etc, blah, blah... Do I seriously need to explain this to you?

If it doesnt bother you to do this to someone, then fine, keep doing it. I will keep thinking its a douchebag move. Thats fair, right?

Also, giving the retailer that you're Showrooming the opportunity to pricematch isnt douchey, but it would tell them you are Showrooming and they might magically never have another shoe in your size again...
As I said, I gladly await Leaves' explanation and let's please return to the regularly scheduled programming.
post #14091 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

How about finding a different thread for your point of view? Pretty far off track and this is an affiliate thread
No thanks.

I didn't bring this topic up, I am just replying to others on a forum. I welcome your input on the matter or I'm happy to discuss the potential Shanklin gmto at skoak, but don't think you have to right to tell me to shut up or leave because you might disagree with me. Shall we get back on track or would you like to continue down this path?
post #14092 of 23683
I think we should get back to Shanklins.

Do we have 3 for normal width @venividivicibj?
If so @Leaves can you help us process? If necessary we can take it to a group PM.
post #14093 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Mw313
Justinkapur
Me
Watchman(possibly)
Peppercorn(possibly)
Bsmw (possibly)
Bdavro (possibly)
Watch idiot (possibly)
 

We need one of the Maybes to confirm that they are in. If they are, then we are good to do (MW313 is wide, so he doesn't count until we get three).

post #14094 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

We need one of the Maybes to confirm that they are in. If they are, then we are good to do (MW313 is wide, so he doesn't count until we get three).

perfect. hopefully we can get this thing going soon.

If we were able to get 3 wides faster than ordering normal widths could be in any number thereafter right? Or would we need 3 in normal as well?
post #14095 of 23683
Gentlemen,

I would be a wide as well....

My problem is that I'm a shell cordovan addict....smile.gif

So, I'm waiting for my first EB to be delivered this week and if the fitting is to my liking, I plan on coming off the chain with EB cordovan MTO's...

I need some suede and EG in my my life in general...

But I think now I'll pass.

Thanks and best wishes to this GMTO.
post #14096 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

We need one of the Maybes to confirm that they are in. If they are, then we are good to do (MW313 is wide, so he doesn't count until we get three).
I'll let you know either way I'm the morning. Thanks!
post #14097 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post


I'll let you know either way I'm the morning. Thanks!


nice!

post #14098 of 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post
 

This practice is known as "Showrooming" in the retail industry. I dont want to get on my soapbox about all the reasons it isnt cool, but to think that things are just as easy as adjusting pricing is a bit naive. Also, though they may not stock the item in question, they can certainly order it unless.

 

 

I see you didn't complete that sentence.  Probably because there are A LOT of "unless-es".  I've run into into EG catalog items that in reality are only MTO (with respective surcharge).  And even in NYC good luck finding a store where a man who takes a D-UK/C-US fitting can walk out of the store with shoes that fit, unless you want an AE65.

post #14099 of 23683
Leffot used to stock Some UK D widths. RL too.

Venanzi as well, but they're long gone.
post #14100 of 23683
Thread Starter 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post

I hope you buy something while being "sized", this is the reason Skoak is getting flak. Manufacturers are getting feedback from retailers who are having people waste their time "sizing" StC, GG, and EG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

Specially if those ppl are on commission lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post


good. I'm just waiting on Skoak then but Im thinking the smaller size will be the safer bet so maybe I will actually just be able to wear a thin pair of socks for once. haha. 

What do you guys wear when comparing EG to GG? I know my shape of my foot changes things up a bit, but it always is good to know the general trends that you guys follow. I've always ignored them for myself because my sizing is so out of the range of you guys. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

I think a particular retailer where I have purchased several pairs from different makers in the past and other products Won't mind letting me try on one or two pairs, especially considering they don't stock the particular model I wish to purchase.

I don't plan on being dishonest with my intentions.

Currency exchange rates won't be this lopsided forever, and if retailers want to retain regular customers who have started to eye overseas businesses, maybe it's in their best interest to adjust their pricing temporarily, as several SF affiliate vendors have done. Trust me, it would definitely be easier and preferable to buy locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljlakers View Post

I'll try to put this as delicately as I can, but I'm not going to feel too bad for retailers charging $550 for Carminas when they can be had online through other retailers here for $100-$200 less. The exchange rate only goes so far to explain that huge gap. What's troubling to me is not that the retailers here charging $550 haven't met Skoak's prices but that they haven't even lowered them at all in the face of market forces. If they are going to stick to that price, then sorry I might use them from time to time to get my sizing right. We're not talking about charitable organizations here. It's high end luxury goods - there's no room for hurt feelings. Lower your prices or be change your expectations. Or do like Mike at Epaulet and stop carrying the brand if it's not worth it. Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post



   I have to agree with eljlakers.  Having worked with a kinda sorta premiere retailer of a particular brand and gotten to know and received a good bit of help & advice
   from one of their SA's on 4 pair. When it got to the point I could have the same thing made by the same manufacturer at a 3 - $ 500 reduction in cost my 'loyalty'
   began to wane and price became king. It's a normal and responsible progression.

   Sure, I'll use the original retailer if they can bring a material, style or detail to the table that I can't get on my own but the likelihood of that happening is fairly small.

   What I REALLY wanted to point out by jumping in this conversation is to say it may be time that we put a cork in crowing about who has the cheapest price for a pair
   of shoes. Why ? Because, believe it or not, (shouldn't be a surprise to anyone ) manufacturers heavily monitor this forum for hints about what we want and are
   buying. I've noticed several brick & mortar retailers attempting to mimic similar styles at a lower price point with substandard workmanship ending up dazed and
   confused about why it didn't work. There's nothing new or novel about bricks & mortar / online pricing differences. If a company has lower overhead with one vs the
   other, a lower price point is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

that's it, same here. I purchased my first G&G MTO through Leffot. It was nice to meet Dean there too. EG through BB. However Skoaktiebolaget really goes an extra mile. Heather Gorse anyone???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

I tend to rotate my purchases while taking advantage of skoaks prices and service, I also purchase from a local B&M who also has assited me for quite a while. Then again my local B&M also provides fringe benefits.

I also like skaoka inventivenss and willingness to try to new make ups.

At the rate I ourchase shoes now a days there us enough to go around. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavro23 View Post

This practice is known as "Showrooming" in the retail industry. I dont want to get on my soapbox about all the reasons it isnt cool, but to think that things are just as easy as adjusting pricing is a bit naive. Also, though they may not stock the item in question, they can certainly order it unless.

Good for you. I have always enjoyed your posts and I am glad you've come to this decision cheers.gif

Has it crossed your mind that there might be reasons they havent lowered their prices? Maybe they have a MAP agreement. Maybe they dont enjoy the margin that Skoak receives. Maybe Carmina has a pricing strategy for the US different from the EU. Regardless, I have great news: You dont have to buy from another retailer. If you do choose to go to a brick and mortar store for the express reason to use their services in order to buy from another vendor however, I think thats a pretty douchey move. Did you ask them to price match? Did you give them the opportunity to make the sale?

Its no different than going to a lawyer, having them prepare documents and do research for you and then paying another attorney for the work. You can try and justify this to yourself however you want, but the bottom line is you are hurting someone's business. I'm sure the guys at Skoak would feel the same way about people doing it to them.

It isnt illegal and no one can stop you from doing it, but I think it says a lot about people who do this kind of thing. Happy shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

Lolz. Perhaps it's best for Leaves to explain, and let's get back to the primary business of talking shoes and new orders and styles. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

How about finding a different thread for your point of view? Pretty far off track and this is an affiliate thread

A comment on the price discussion
I think it’s slightly off topic and the subject should probably need its own thread because it’s a global phenomenon/challenge, it’s not specific for my business. I will however say this as the discussion was raised in our thread.

  • Skoaktiebolaget has always been about excellent customer service and offering something unique. Sure, we have black cap toes and other staples, but the effort I put into creating new interpretations of styles and pushing the makers to bring in new materials is what gives us an edge. Often this process is encouraged and driven on by SF members, that’s why I love this community and the members here. Skoaktiebolaget has made new exiting materials available. The same goes for several new styles being introduced by our makers, designed by Skoaktiebolaget and the manufacturer in collaboration. I’m glad that this is being acknowledged by fellow SF members because I put in a lot of hard work to make it happen. I’m also very grateful towards our manufacturers, that they are willing to accommodate my ideas and requests, it is not something I take for granted. I am deeply appreciative of their good will and professionalism.
  • As far as I know, none of the manufacturers we work with applies different pricing for different regions. Everyone is buying at the same rate. The only exception might be Edward Green (unconfirmed).
  • Up until recently, none of our makers provided recommended retail price lists except Edward Green and Gaziano & Girlling. This in itself has caused problems with both overpricing and under pricing but most makers are now looking to distribute recommended retail price lists. We have people coming in to our shop trying out their size too, and then ordering online somewhere, it's just the way it is. Maybe we don't have the style they are looking for, maybe another retailer has a lower price, waddayagonnado?
  • The US is one of few countries without some kind of national/federal VAT or GST system. The sales tax is governed by each state (I believe) and is therefore not applied when the goods enter the country. Thus, the only fee that is applied to orders from the EU to the US is an 8.5% customs fee. As an EU company I’m obliged to deduct VAT on any order shipped outside the EU. So basically you get a 10-15% “discount” by ordering from the EU to the US. I do recognize that this needs to be addressed in some way, but it’s up to the manufacturers to set up these rules, not me.
  • For rules to have an effect there must be control and policing of these rules. The makers we work with are usually very small businesses (except EG). Setting up rules and policies and maintaining them takes a lot of energy and that’s why I think many of our makers have been hesitant to set up too many restrictions. But there are changes coming, and it will impact the way retailers are trading across regions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's, Gaziano & Girling - Official Affiliate Thread